Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Another feast or famine

When I first got addicted to turning I scrounged around for wood to
turn. Now it turns up in my yard. A friend had a sweetgum blow down
on his farm. He cut it up in chunks about 20 inches long and 19
inches diameter. He wanted to bring the whole bunch but I told him 5
pieces would be enough. He brought 7.
After cutting a 3-4 inch slice out of the center to remove the pith,
I was left with 14 blocks weighing average 70 pounds. Too heavy for
me to cut out on the bandsaw any more, so I drew a circle on the flat
side and cut it into an octagon with the chainsaw.
Using the Bowl Saver I got 28 bowls roughed out. Finished roughing
them and hauling two truck loads of scrap and shavings off on Monday.
Tuesday I heard a chainsaw in the neighborhood--two good-sized
dogwoods had bit the dust.
Have them sealed and mostly sliced, some roughed out. Looks like
another 25 bowls to rough out. Dogwood is one of my favorite turning
woods.
A lot of work for not much money, but like a shark I have to keep
moving or else.
--
 GW Ross

 An attacker must vanquish, a defender
 need only survive.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

In article ,
"G. Ross" wrote:

[...]

Sounds like the spalted Poplar the BIL gave me (only I burn the scap in the fire place and the shaving go to friends with chickens ..

Personal e-mail is the n7bsn but at amsat.org
RV and Camping FAQ can be found at
http://www.ralphandellen.us/rv
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Ralph E Lindberg wrote:
In articleY4mdnZQfY9fvJbfOnZ2dnUVZ5o2dnZ2d@giganews. com,
"G. wrote:

[...]

Sweetgum is not fireplace wood due to it propensity to pop and spit
and blow out red-hot coals. I do not have a heater to burn it in. I
put an ad in the local shopper's guide about the shavings. A man who
has horses called. When he learned I had only 5 large bags full he
said that wasn't enough to bother coming to pick up. I did give some
to a man who raises rabbits. He said he would check later for more.
Never heard from him again.

--
 GW Ross

 If money could talk, it would say
 goodbye.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"G. wrote:

[...]

Another consumers of wood-chips are the potters that do "pit firing". If
you find one that does a lot, they are after every bag they can get

Glen Lucas (?), a production turner in Ireland sells all his chips to a
local dairy.

Personal e-mail is the n7bsn but at amsat.org
RV and Camping FAQ can be found at
http://www.ralphandellen.us/rv
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"G. wrote:

[...]

The first time I attempted to split some sweet gum for the fireplace I
found out why the guy who was giving it away smiled as I cut it down
and hauled it off. Impossible to split. One of my 2 wedges got stuck
in the middle and it resisted all efforts to remove it. Finally threw
the whole piece in the fireplace and when it finally burned up I got
my wedge back.

I am assuming that the heat of the fireplace ruined the temper of the
wedge. The next time I used it a large piece broke off the side and
left me with a nasty cut on my shin.

Jim

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"G. wrote:

[...]

Yep. Like splitting plywood. I did the same in my earlier years but
managed to retrieve the wedge. Generally useless wood but it turns
well and makes a beautiful bowl.

I will put a snapshot of my last one on ABPW. Filled in a knot with
black epoxy, turquoise and brass chips.

--
 GW Ross

 If money could talk, it would say
 goodbye.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Sun, 23 Mar 2014 11:22:30 -0400, "G. Ross"
wrote:

Thanks for posting the bowl picture. Nice work, nice wood. Amazing
that a tree so worthless for much else except pulp wood, can be used
in turning.

I turned a few pieces about 20 years ago and have just recently became
interested in turning again. I can use my ShopSmith as a lathe until I
am sure that I want to make the investment in a lathe. I am saving up
for some tools.

Probably 2 years ago I had a very funny looking tree down in the
pasture next to a ditch. About 30 inches acroos at the bottom and
tapered to the top at probably 30 feet. Very few limbs. I decided to
take it down and asked a 75 year old retired minister who sells
firewood if he would like to have it. He was eager so we cut it down
and started making short logs. Strange wood pattern was noticed. We
finally had everything cut to length. Pieces were very heavy and we
had to roll the thicker pieces into the loader on the tractor to get
them in his pickup.

About lunch the first load was finished and he left to unload and have
dinner. Before he left I suggested he see how his powered splitter
handled the wood.

He returned after lunch with the results. Not at all good. Impossible
to split.

Turned out to be what the locals call a pencil sweet gum.

The remains of the tree is still on the ground in the pasture. I am
thinking I might see if it is still usable.

Jim

"G. wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Sweetgum - sticky and draws ants. I had two 100' trees - one died
and the other started dropping limbs - 4-6" in diameter as the top
was eaten up by heavy winds and storms. Both required special
hauling ability due to the weight of the large diameter logs. The
two went to a local BIO-electric plant- chipping machine and use.

Martin

"G. wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Thu, 20 Mar 2014 4:44:32 -0500, G. Ross wrote
(in message ) :

[...]

I've never worked with sweetgum or dogwood. Know nothing about them, but I am
told you can recognize dogwood by its bark.
tom

--
I will find a way or make one.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

(in messageY4mdnZQfY9fvJbfOnZ2dnUVZ5o2dnZ2d@giganews. com):

[...]

Absolutely!

Dogwood trees are generally small, but the wood is homogenous. No
sapwood or heartwood. In an 8 inch tree the pith is about 3/4 to 1
inch diameter, all the rest is nice solid wood all the way to the
bark. No real grain pattern, just pink, smooth cutting wood.
It is very hard. Used to be used for loom shuttles because it didn't
wear and the more it is used the smoother it gets.

I can send you a roughed out bowl if you want to wait for it to dry
and turn it.

--
 GW Ross

 Danger! **Attention Span Exceeded!**

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Fri, 28 Mar 2014 18:15:17 -0500, G. Ross wrote
(in message ):

tom koehler wrote:
[...]

I have been remiss in my duties as a moderately responsible adult, in
responding to your offer. I appreciate your generous offer. I will, however,
have to decline. I can't clearly explain why, other than I would feel odd,
somehow...not able to reciprocate. I will thank you, and take the thought for
the deed.
tom

--
I will find a way or make one.