DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Gloves for turning (https://www.diybanter.com/woodturning/367259-gloves-turning.html)

G. Ross January 31st 14 11:36 PM

Gloves for turning

I got tired of purple hands while roughing out black walnut blanks. I
found that HF nitrile gloves are the answer. Grip is ok and if they
snag they will not pull your hand into the work, it just tears a chunk
out of the glove. So they seem safe to use
--
 GW Ross

 I don't make jokes. I just watch the
 government and report the facts.
 --Will Rogers

Larry Blanchard February 1st 14 12:41 AM

Gloves for turning

On Fri, 31 Jan 2014 18:36:46 -0500, G. Ross wrote:

I got tired of purple hands while roughing out black walnut blanks. I
found that HF nitrile gloves are the answer.

I haven't used those for that reason, but I use a lot when finishing.
Both turnings and woodworking projects. I put a little baby powder on
the back of each hand and spread it with the other hand. NO, not both at
once :-).

Makes them easier to get on and off and soaks up some of the sweat in hot
weather.

--
This msg is for rec.woodworking - not homeowners hub.

G. Ross February 1st 14 01:35 AM

Gloves for turning

Larry Blanchard wrote:
On Fri, 31 Jan 2014 18:36:46 -0500, G. Ross wrote:

I got tired of purple hands while roughing out black walnut blanks. I
found that HF nitrile gloves are the answer.

I haven't used those for that reason, but I use a lot when finishing.
Both turnings and woodworking projects. I put a little baby powder on
the back of each hand and spread it with the other hand. NO, not both at
once :-).

Makes them easier to get on and off and soaks up some of the sweat in hot
weather.

Good Idea. I'll try that. They do pull the hair on the back of my
hands putting them on.

Mac Davis February 1st 14 03:53 PM

Gloves for turning

wrote:

I got tired of purple hands while roughing out black walnut blanks. I
found that HF nitrile gloves are the answer. Grip is ok and if they
snag they will not pull your hand into the work, it just tears a chunk
out of the glove. So they seem safe to use

Gloves just don't "feel" right when turning....
I've used Invisible Glove a lot for finishes, grease, oil, etc. and it
has worked well... never tried it with walnut...
http://www.epinions.com/review/Magic...254510724?sb=1

Martin Eastburn February 2nd 14 05:16 AM

Gloves for turning

The problem with gloves is they might or could get caught in the turning
and break a wrist or finger.....

High speed of the spindle exceeds the level of safety even on a thin glove.

Martin

G. Ross February 2nd 14 01:00 PM

Gloves for turning

Martin Eastburn wrote:
The problem with gloves is they might or could get caught in the turning
and break a wrist or finger.....

High speed of the spindle exceeds the level of safety even on a thin glove.

Martin

On 1/31/2014 5:36 PM, G. Ross wrote:
I got tired of purple hands while roughing out black walnut blanks. I
found that HF nitrile gloves are the answer. Grip is ok and if they
snag they will not pull your hand into the work, it just tears a chunk
out of the glove. So they seem safe to use

This is for roughing out wet green wood. No high speeds involved.
And have you ever worn Harbor Freight nitrile gloves? You look at
them cross-eyed and they just fall apart.
And no special "touch" or sensation involved in roughing out.

Stuart[_5_] February 2nd 14 01:17 PM

Gloves for turning

In article ,
Martin Eastburn wrote:
The problem with gloves is they might or could get caught in the turning
and break a wrist or finger.....

High speed of the spindle exceeds the level of safety even on a thin
glove.

I was told on a wood-turning course I attended NEVER wear gloves and only
ever use paper which will tear away easily, for applying waxes and
polishes etc.

--
Stuart Winsor

Dr. Deb[_2_] February 2nd 14 02:31 PM

Gloves for turning

G. Ross wrote:

I got tired of purple hands while roughing out black walnut blanks. I
found that HF nitrile gloves are the answer. Grip is ok and if they
snag they will not pull your hand into the work, it just tears a chunk
out of the glove. So they seem safe to use

A friend of mine gave me a pair of "turning gloves" several years ago.
There are times they are oh so welcome. If I am turning something that is a
tad dry and the chips are coming off like a sand blaster right into the web
of my left hand, the gloves make the difference between being able to focus
on what I am doing and not focusing on the abrasions taking place on my
hand.

Actually the rule of thumb in using gloves is the same as when you are not
using them - Use common sense - stupid is stupid, gloves or no gloves.

Deb

[email protected] February 4th 14 12:16 AM

Gloves for turning

wrote:

I got tired of purple hands while roughing out black walnut blanks. I
found that HF nitrile gloves are the answer. Grip is ok and if they
snag they will not pull your hand into the work, it just tears a chunk
out of the glove. So they seem safe to use

Gloves just don't "feel" right when turning....
I've used Invisible Glove a lot for finishes, grease, oil, etc. and it
has worked well... never tried it with walnut...
http://www.epinions.com/review/Magic...254510724?sb=1

I use this PR88 cream but I do not know how it would behave with
walnut either. It works with almost everything else.
http://www.pr88.com/products/products_pages/pr88.htm

Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC