Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default How big a steb center?

What would be a general rule of thumb for the size of a steb center,
compared to the diameter of the spindle you're turning?

Let's say, for instance, that I'm turning a round 1 1/2" diameter tenon on
the end of a 2" x 2" square piece. I see centers that would fit my lathe
listed on the web with widths of 1/2", 7/8", and 1 1/4". Which would I use,
and why?

Thanks,
Tom

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Mon, 13 Jan 2014 17:00:26 -0800, "Tdacon"
wrote:

What would be a general rule of thumb for the size of a steb center,
compared to the diameter of the spindle you're turning?

Let's say, for instance, that I'm turning a round 1 1/2" diameter tenon on
the end of a 2" x 2" square piece. I see centers that would fit my lathe
listed on the web with widths of 1/2", 7/8", and 1 1/4". Which would I use,
and why?

Thanks,
Tom

I like the 1/2" but it's a personal thing....
The smaller the drive, the less it gets in the way...
I can't imagine needing a 1 1/4"...
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Tdacon wrote:

What would be a general rule of thumb for the size of a steb center,
compared to the diameter of the spindle you're turning?

Let's say, for instance, that I'm turning a round 1 1/2" diameter tenon on
the end of a 2" x 2" square piece. I see centers that would fit my lathe
listed on the web with widths of 1/2", 7/8", and 1 1/4". Which would I
use, and why?

Thanks,
Tom

I tend to agree with Mac., it is a matter of personal preference. I have
had a 3/4" for years and finally got a 1/2" to give me more flexibility.
The only time you would need something in the 1 1/4" range would be when
you were turning something very large.

Deb

Message center [email protected] UK diy 0 January 23rd 13 12:06 PM
Center drills Michael Koblic[_2_] Metalworking 53 November 16th 10 11:18 PM
Tub/shower faucet with 10" center to center JFM Home Repair 2 October 2nd 05 04:05 PM
Entertainment center Max Woodworking 11 April 4th 05 08:11 PM
Dead center/live center lathe question R.H. Woodworking 10 October 18th 04 08:32 PM