Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning,rec.woodworking

Default Identify wood.

Can any one identify this wood, I got it as firewood and burned a lot
before I discovered it makes good pens.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1130203...93133194393666
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning,rec.woodworking

F Murtz wrote:
Can any one identify this wood, I got it as firewood and burned a lot
before I discovered it makes good pens.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1130203...93133194393666

I got the result of "sorry, that page not found".

--
 GW Ross

 Let he who takes the plunge remember
 to return it!

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning,rec.woodworking

On Sun, 30 Jun 2013 18:58:15 +1000, F Murtz
wrote:

Can any one identify this wood, I got it as firewood and burned a lot
before I discovered it makes good pens.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1130203...93133194393666

All I got was a blank page.
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning,rec.woodworking

wrote:

Can any one identify this wood, I got it as firewood and burned a lot
before I discovered it makes good pens.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1130203...93133194393666

All I got was a blank page.

I am having trouble driving picassa since it updated, when I click on
the url I get the picture, I will see what I can do.
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning,rec.woodworking

wrote:

Can any one identify this wood, I got it as firewood and burned a lot
before I discovered it makes good pens.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1130203...93133194393666

All I got was a blank page.

Try this.
https://picasaweb.google.com/1130203...eat=directlink

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning,rec.woodworking

F Murtz wrote:

Try this.
https://picasaweb.google.com/1130203...eat=directlink

That works.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning,rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

wrote:

Can any one identify this wood, I got it as firewood and burned a lot
before I discovered it makes good pens.

Eastern red cedar...

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning,rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 6/30/2013 7:33 AM, dpb wrote:

Eastern red cedar...

It's the wood of cedar chest and closet linings, etc., etc., etc., ...

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning,rec.woodworking

wrote:

Can any one identify this wood, I got it as firewood and burned a lot
before I discovered it makes good pens.

Eastern red cedar...

That gets my vote, too. Once able to view the picture the very first
thing that popped in my mind was the novelty boxes, mirrors, you name it
that you see in vacation areas (well, here in the Midwest anyways)

Typically little jewelry boxes with a coat of varnish and stamped on it
"Souvenir of the Wisconsin Dells" etc.

Looks a lot prettier as a peng

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning,rec.woodworking

On Sun, 30 Jun 2013 22:20:10 +1000, F Murtz
wrote:

Try this.
https://picasaweb.google.com/1130203...eat=directlink

That worked. No clue what the wood is, but it sure has a nice red
color, sort of like cedar.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning,rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 6/30/2013 9:03 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

That worked. No clue what the wood is, but it sure has a nice red
color, sort of like cedar.

That sorta' figures, 'cuz it is...

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning,rec.woodworking

dpb wrote:
On 6/30/2013 9:03 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

That worked. No clue what the wood is, but it sure has a nice red
color, sort of like cedar.

That sorta' figures, 'cuz it is...

--

It has a strong smell but not what I remember of cedar.
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning,rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 6/30/2013 12:05 PM, F Murtz wrote:
dpb wrote:
On 6/30/2013 9:03 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

That worked. No clue what the wood is, but it sure has a nice red
color, sort of like cedar.

That sorta' figures, 'cuz it is...

It has a strong smell but not what I remember of cedar.

How long since it's been cut? It surely looks like cedar in color,
grain and what can be seen of bark.

Another poster mentioned juniper which is possible, I suppose. Where
did it come from?

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning,rec.woodworking

dpb wrote:
On 6/30/2013 9:03 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

That worked. No clue what the wood is, but it sure has a nice red
color, sort of like cedar.

That sorta' figures, 'cuz it is...

It has a strong smell but not what I remember of cedar.

How long since it's been cut? It surely looks like cedar in color,
grain and what can be seen of bark.

Another poster mentioned juniper which is possible, I suppose. Where
did it come from?

--

I am in Australia, bought a second hand wood heater and the wood came
with it and I wish I had not burnt as much before I sawed a bit
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning,rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 6/30/2013 8:20 PM, F Murtz wrote:
dpb wrote:
On 6/30/2013 12:05 PM, F Murtz wrote:

Another poster mentioned juniper which is possible, I suppose. Where
did it come from?

I am in Australia, bought a second hand wood heater and the wood came
with it and I wish I had not burnt as much before I sawed a bit
diagonally, it probably was grown in a domestic garden.

Ooooh...that means could be most anything--I think all of us responding
so far have been USA and thinking of native species here.

It does definitely look like red cedar appearance-wise and I suppose
they could have been imported as ornamentals but they're certainly not
considered high on the list for it in the US except some areas where
it's hard to get much of anything to grow -- like where I am in the
semi-arid western High Plains.

Best guess then might be to take a piece to a local horticultural shop
and see if they can identify it.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning,rec.woodworking

"F Murtz" wrote in message ...

Can any one identify this wood, I got it as firewood and burned a lot
before I discovered it makes good pens.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1130203...93133194393666

I agree with the others who suggest that it is eastern red cedar... juniper.

I don't think I've ever seen eastern red cedar intentionally used for
firewood but I do recall seeing such trees burn. A fire ripped through
forests and fields near my childhood home and I recall how the cedars
crackled as they exploded in a ball of flames. It was a memorable
experience!

RE pens, I've seen pens turned from this wood and they looked nice. However,
the wood is so soft that after a bit of use they looked beat up. One fellow
kind of solved that problem by finishing them with a thin variety of CA glue
which soaked in and basically plasticized the wood. I imagine that thinned
lacquer would do the same thing given enough coats.

John

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning,rec.woodworking

I would think it would burn fast and pop. Lots of oil and scent.

Either cedar or juniper. Might help saying where you are located
and if the tree was local...

Martin

dpb wrote:
On 6/30/2013 9:03 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

That worked. No clue what the wood is, but it sure has a nice red
color, sort of like cedar.

That sorta' figures, 'cuz it is...

It has a strong smell but not what I remember of cedar.

How long since it's been cut? It surely looks like cedar in color,
grain and what can be seen of bark.

Another poster mentioned juniper which is possible, I suppose. Where
did it come from?

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning,rec.woodworking

dpb wrote:
[...]

Juniper, cedar, and other shrubs/trees of that family all have a similar
red heartwood and white sapwood - and there are some pretty odd trees in
AU that may look like that - beware though, my experience is that almost
anything native to Australia is poisonous - beware of the dust until you
know what it is (the bark looks like juniper to me)
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning,rec.woodworking

John Grossbohlin wrote:
"F Murtz" wrote in message ...

[...]

I use superglue (cyanoacrylate or CA.for short) as a lot of pen makers
do, it is being increasingly used on small bowls pepper grinders etc.
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning,rec.woodworking

On Sun, 30 Jun 2013 22:57:16 -0400, "John Grossbohlin"
wrote:

"F Murtz" wrote in message ...

[...]

Very common proocess in pen-making - and as for using it for firewood,
there is NO better kindling than just about any variety of "cedar"

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning,rec.woodworking

On Mon, 01 Jul 2013 19:39:48 +1000, F Murtz
wrote:

John Grossbohlin wrote:
"F Murtz" wrote in message ...

[...]

Even a good urethane varnish can firm up cedar (and mahogany) quite
well - water born better than solvent.
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning,rec.woodworking

wrote in message ...

Very common proocess in pen-making - and as for using it for firewood,
there is NO better kindling than just about any variety of "cedar"

Absolutely cedar makes good kindling and tinder... Not so good for firewood
though as it burns fast and pitch pockets pop... definitely don't want the
greens in the fire!

When camping involved cooking over fires (vs. the single burner stove I use
now) I would pull cedar bark off trees, shred it up, and use it for tinder.
Found nothing better.

John

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Sunday, June 30, 2013 4:58:15 AM UTC-4, F Murtz wrote:
Can any one identify this wood, I got it as firewood and burned a lot

before I discovered it makes good pens.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1130203...93133194393666

If not red cedar, it's likely to be juniper.

Identify wood. F Murtz Woodworking 31 July 1st 13 09:55 PM
Please help identify this wood larry UK diy 7 January 16th 06 11:17 AM
Please help identify this wood larry Woodworking 6 January 15th 06 09:25 PM
Can't identify wood [email protected] Woodworking 8 December 13th 05 08:15 PM
Looking to identify a wood Carl Swanson Woodworking 13 January 18th 04 10:47 PM