Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Turning mulberry

So far have roughed out about 10 bowls 6-10 inches diameter. I dulled
two chainsaws slicing up the blanks. Wore out a brand new bandsaw
blade cutting out the circles. The wood is wet and does not appear
harder than average but it is rough on gouges. The first 2 or 3
passes the wood just peels out great. Then it doesn't cut so well.
Feel the gouge edge and it is dull as a hammer. Lay it aside and get
a sharp one out. Same story.

Maybe I should just turn discs instead of bowls then I could use it
for grinding lawn mower blades.
--
 GW Ross

 Ignorance can be cured -- but stupid
 is forever.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On 6/22/2013 11:59 AM, G. Ross wrote:
So far have roughed out about 10 bowls 6-10 inches diameter. I dulled
two chainsaws slicing up the blanks. Wore out a brand new bandsaw blade
cutting out the circles. The wood is wet and does not appear harder
than average but it is rough on gouges. The first 2 or 3 passes the
wood just peels out great. Then it doesn't cut so well. Feel the gouge
edge and it is dull as a hammer. Lay it aside and get a sharp one out.
Same story.

Maybe I should just turn discs instead of bowls then I could use it for
grinding lawn mower blades.

What's that other wood that has a ton of silica in it? You might be
turning sand.
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Sat, 22 Jun 2013 14:59:43 -0400, "G. Ross"
wrote:

So far have roughed out about 10 bowls 6-10 inches diameter. I dulled
two chainsaws slicing up the blanks. Wore out a brand new bandsaw
blade cutting out the circles. The wood is wet and does not appear
harder than average but it is rough on gouges. The first 2 or 3
passes the wood just peels out great. Then it doesn't cut so well.
Feel the gouge edge and it is dull as a hammer. Lay it aside and get
a sharp one out. Same story.

Maybe I should just turn discs instead of bowls then I could use it
for grinding lawn mower blades.

Too bad ya don't like carbide
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Sat, 22 Jun 2013 15:20:11 -0700, BeeFlow
wrote:

On 6/22/2013 11:59 AM, G. Ross wrote:
So far have roughed out about 10 bowls 6-10 inches diameter. I dulled
two chainsaws slicing up the blanks. Wore out a brand new bandsaw blade
cutting out the circles. The wood is wet and does not appear harder
than average but it is rough on gouges. The first 2 or 3 passes the
wood just peels out great. Then it doesn't cut so well. Feel the gouge
edge and it is dull as a hammer. Lay it aside and get a sharp one out.
Same story.

Maybe I should just turn discs instead of bowls then I could use it for
grinding lawn mower blades.

What's that other wood that has a ton of silica in it? You might be
turning sand.

Desert ironwood has a lot of embedded sand...

Mulberry second try G. Ross Woodworking Plans and Photos 8 August 19th 13 11:58 PM
turning green Mulberry? mac davis Woodturning 10 February 16th 06 04:39 PM
mulberry mike Woodturning 0 July 29th 05 05:24 PM
Mulberry for turning? Copernicus Skygazer Woodturning 6 July 28th 05 06:14 PM
Green Mulberry for Turning rllipham Woodturning 3 September 15th 04 09:40 PM