DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Mystery wood (https://www.diybanter.com/woodturning/358302-mystery-wood.html)

G. Ross June 17th 13 09:38 PM

Mystery wood

I got three sections of a tree from my BIL who got it from someone
else. The original cutter told him it was "either mulberry or Bois
d'arc". There were no leaves attached and the bark was all grunged up
with vines.

How to tell the difference? It is orange/yellow wood. It seems like
I've heard that mulberry is associated with an unpleasant smell when
being turned. There is no smell on this.

Any pointers?
--
 GW Ross

 The trouble with not having a job is
 that you can't take a day off!

Dan Kozar[_2_] June 18th 13 12:29 AM

Mystery wood

In article ,
"G. Ross" wrote:

I got three sections of a tree from my BIL who got it from someone
else. The original cutter told him it was "either mulberry or Bois
d'arc". There were no leaves attached and the bark was all grunged up
with vines.

How to tell the difference? It is orange/yellow wood. It seems like
I've heard that mulberry is associated with an unpleasant smell when
being turned. There is no smell on this.

Any pointers?

Mulberry cuts and scrapes well. The 2 pieces of Bois d'arc that I turned
did NOT like to be scraped. I don't remember any odor with either, but
it has been a while since I turned either.

Larry Blanchard June 18th 13 02:12 AM

Mystery wood

On Mon, 17 Jun 2013 15:38:26 -0400, G. Ross wrote:

How to tell the difference? It is orange/yellow wood. It seems like
I've heard that mulberry is associated with an unpleasant smell when
being turned. There is no smell on this.

I found the following at: http://www.wood-database.com

"One helpful characteristic that can help separate it from lookalikes
such as Mulberry or Black Locust (besides being heavier) is that Osage
Orange contains a water-soluble yellow dye, so putting shavings into
water will turn the water yellow."

Next time, Google before asking :-).

carrying a cross.

G. Ross June 18th 13 02:24 AM

Mystery wood

Larry Blanchard wrote:
On Mon, 17 Jun 2013 15:38:26 -0400, G. Ross wrote:

How to tell the difference? It is orange/yellow wood. It seems like
I've heard that mulberry is associated with an unpleasant smell when
being turned. There is no smell on this.

I found the following at: http://www.wood-database.com

"One helpful characteristic that can help separate it from lookalikes
such as Mulberry or Black Locust (besides being heavier) is that Osage
Orange contains a water-soluble yellow dye, so putting shavings into
water will turn the water yellow."

Next time, Google before asking :-).

I refuse to use Google. However, I found that same article and have
put some shavings in a plastic bowl with water. Guess I will know in
the A.M.

asdfasdf June 18th 13 04:31 AM

Mystery wood

On 6/17/2013 8:24 PM, G. Ross wrote:
Larry Blanchard wrote:
On Mon, 17 Jun 2013 15:38:26 -0400, G. Ross wrote:

How to tell the difference? It is orange/yellow wood. It seems like
I've heard that mulberry is associated with an unpleasant smell when
being turned. There is no smell on this.

I found the following at: http://www.wood-database.com

"One helpful characteristic that can help separate it from lookalikes
such as Mulberry or Black Locust (besides being heavier) is that Osage
Orange contains a water-soluble yellow dye, so putting shavings into
water will turn the water yellow."

Next time, Google before asking :-).

I refuse to use Google. However, I found that same article and have put
some shavings in a plastic bowl with water. Guess I will know in the A.M.

Yeah it doesn't hurt to talk a little here. Do we want all talk of
turning to be replaced by googling? Sometimes it is nice to
communicate with a human.

Mac Davis June 18th 13 08:06 AM

Mystery wood

wrote:

I got three sections of a tree from my BIL who got it from someone
else. The original cutter told him it was "either mulberry or Bois
d'arc". There were no leaves attached and the bark was all grunged up
with vines.

How to tell the difference? It is orange/yellow wood. It seems like
I've heard that mulberry is associated with an unpleasant smell when
being turned. There is no smell on this.

Any pointers?

I turned several mulberry bowls a few years ago... Cream colored wood
with nice yellow highlights...
No idea what Bois d'arc is...

Whirled Peas June 18th 13 05:32 PM

Mystery wood

On 06/17/2013 11:06 PM, Mac Davis wrote:

No idea what Bois d'arc is...

Maclura pomifera, commonly called Osage orange, hedge apple, horse
apple, bois d'arc, bodark, or bodock. The name "bois d'arc" is thought
to come from French explorers who saw the native Americans using it for
their bows, i.e. "bow wood". We had some growing on the farm where I
grew up.

Larry Blanchard June 18th 13 06:04 PM

Mystery wood

On Mon, 17 Jun 2013 22:31:14 -0400, asdfasdf wrote:

Yeah it doesn't hurt to talk a little here. Do we want all talk of
turning to be replaced by googling? Sometimes it is nice to communicate
with a human.

That's hilarious. The OP asked a question he could easily have found the
answer to, I responded to his query and suggested a more efficient method
of finding answers, and you say there was no human communication? BTW,
was the article I quoted written by a non-human?

And if "asdfasdf" is the name of a real human, his/her parents should be
shot :-). I, and most others on this forum, use real names.

I have no desire to get involved in a flame war, so I'll ignore any
further posts on this subject.

carrying a cross.

Kevin Miller[_2_] June 18th 13 06:08 PM

Mystery wood

On 06/17/2013 06:31 PM, asdfasdf wrote:

Yeah it doesn't hurt to talk a little here. Do we want all talk of
turning to be replaced by googling? Sometimes it is nice to
communicate with a human.

My thoughts exactly. That's what the group is here for - asking and
sharing among fellow woodturners. Used to be that the you knew all
sorts of things about the other folks that post here, and not
necessarily related to turning - you actually had cyber friends. I miss
that...

....Kevin
--
Kevin Miller
Juneau, Alaska

G. Ross June 18th 13 06:49 PM

Mystery wood

G. Ross wrote:
I got three sections of a tree from my BIL who got it from someone
else. The original cutter told him it was "either mulberry or Bois
d'arc". There were no leaves attached and the bark was all grunged up
with vines.

How to tell the difference? It is orange/yellow wood. It seems like
I've heard that mulberry is associated with an unpleasant smell when
being turned. There is no smell on this.

Any pointers?

There was no yellow color in the water with shavings in it overnight,
so I am calling it mulberry. It is wet, but it dulls my tools faster
than most woods. And no, I am not in the market for a carbide tool.

Kevin Miller[_2_] June 18th 13 07:28 PM

Mystery wood

On 06/18/2013 08:49 AM, G. Ross wrote:
G. Ross wrote:
I got three sections of a tree from my BIL who got it from someone
else. The original cutter told him it was "either mulberry or Bois
d'arc". There were no leaves attached and the bark was all grunged up
with vines.

How to tell the difference? It is orange/yellow wood. It seems like
I've heard that mulberry is associated with an unpleasant smell when
being turned. There is no smell on this.

Any pointers?

There was no yellow color in the water with shavings in it overnight, so
I am calling it mulberry. It is wet, but it dulls my tools faster than
most woods. And no, I am not in the market for a carbide tool.

I've never turned it, but I've heard that the Bois d'arc is really hard.
No idea about mulberry. Can you post any photos in
alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking? Be interesting to see the wood...

G. Ross June 18th 13 11:51 PM

Mystery wood

G. Ross wrote:
[...]

Well, I sent it but don't see it. If it doesn't make it by morning
will re-send.

Mac Davis June 19th 13 08:10 AM

Mystery wood

On Tue, 18 Jun 2013 08:32:24 -0700, Whirled Peas
wrote:

On 06/17/2013 11:06 PM, Mac Davis wrote:

No idea what Bois d'arc is...

Maclura pomifera, commonly called Osage orange, hedge apple, horse
apple, bois d'arc, bodark, or bodock. The name "bois d'arc" is thought
to come from French explorers who saw the native Americans using it for
their bows, i.e. "bow wood". We had some growing on the farm where I
grew up.

Ahhh..... I'm familiar with osage orange... thanks!

Mac Davis June 19th 13 08:13 AM

Mystery wood

On Tue, 18 Jun 2013 17:51:47 -0400, "G. Ross"
wrote:

G. Ross wrote:
[...]

You might consider getting on facebook, Gerald... Makes a nice
addition to newsgroups and easy to share pictures...

G. Ross June 19th 13 01:31 PM

Mystery wood

wrote:

G. Ross wrote:
[...]

I tried it once. Couldn't face Facebook.

--
 GW Ross

 It worked! Now if only I could
 remember what I did! The Doctor

Doug Miller[_4_] June 19th 13 02:59 PM

Mystery wood

Kevin Miller wrote in
mmunications:

G. Ross wrote:
I got three sections of a tree from my BIL who got it from someone
else. The original cutter told him it was "either mulberry or Bois
d'arc". There were no leaves attached and the bark was all grunged up
with vines.

How to tell the difference? It is orange/yellow wood. It seems like
I've heard that mulberry is associated with an unpleasant smell when
being turned. There is no smell on this.

Any pointers?

There was no yellow color in the water with shavings in it overnight, so
I am calling it mulberry. It is wet, but it dulls my tools faster than
most woods. And no, I am not in the market for a carbide tool.

I've never turned it, but I've heard that the Bois d'arc is really hard.

It is.

No idea about mulberry.

Not nearly as hard as Bois d'arc / Osage orange.

Ralph E Lindberg June 19th 13 04:30 PM

Mystery wood

In article ,
"G. Ross" wrote:

G. Ross wrote:
I got three sections of a tree from my BIL who got it from someone
else. The original cutter told him it was "either mulberry or Bois
d'arc". There were no leaves attached and the bark was all grunged up
with vines.

How to tell the difference? It is orange/yellow wood. It seems like
I've heard that mulberry is associated with an unpleasant smell when
being turned. There is no smell on this.

Any pointers?

There was no yellow color in the water with shavings in it overnight,
so I am calling it mulberry. It is wet, but it dulls my tools faster
than most woods. And no, I am not in the market for a carbide tool.

Certainly -not- Bois (Osage)

Personal e-mail is the n7bsn but at amsat.org
RV and Camping FAQ can be found at
http://www.ralphandellen.us/rv

Kevin Miller[_2_] June 19th 13 06:38 PM

Mystery wood

On 06/18/2013 01:51 PM, G. Ross wrote:
snip

Well, I sent it but don't see it. If it doesn't make it by morning will
re-send.

Then 2nd try turned up. I've never seen mulberry so have no idea if
that's what it is, but Bois d'arc is bright orange when fresh so it's
likely not that.

....Kevin