Old June 18th 13, 06:28 PM posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Mystery wood

On 06/18/2013 08:49 AM, G. Ross wrote:
G. Ross wrote:
I got three sections of a tree from my BIL who got it from someone
else. The original cutter told him it was "either mulberry or Bois
d'arc". There were no leaves attached and the bark was all grunged up
with vines.

How to tell the difference? It is orange/yellow wood. It seems like
I've heard that mulberry is associated with an unpleasant smell when
being turned. There is no smell on this.

Any pointers?

There was no yellow color in the water with shavings in it overnight, so
I am calling it mulberry. It is wet, but it dulls my tools faster than
most woods. And no, I am not in the market for a carbide tool.

I've never turned it, but I've heard that the Bois d'arc is really hard.
No idea about mulberry. Can you post any photos in
alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking? Be interesting to see the wood...

--
Kevin Miller
Juneau, Alaska

Old June 18th 13, 08:09 PM posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

G. Ross wrote:
I got three sections of a tree from my BIL who got it from someone
else. The original cutter told him it was "either mulberry or Bois
d'arc". There were no leaves attached and the bark was all grunged up
with vines.

How to tell the difference? It is orange/yellow wood. It seems like
I've heard that mulberry is associated with an unpleasant smell when
being turned. There is no smell on this.

Any pointers?

There was no yellow color in the water with shavings in it overnight, so
I am calling it mulberry. It is wet, but it dulls my tools faster than
most woods. And no, I am not in the market for a carbide tool.

I've never turned it, but I've heard that the Bois d'arc is really hard.
No idea about mulberry. Can you post any photos in
alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking? Be interesting to see the wood...

Done!

--
 GW Ross

 The trouble with not having a job is
 that you can't take a day off!

Old June 18th 13, 10:51 PM posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

G. Ross wrote:
[...]

Well, I sent it but don't see it. If it doesn't make it by morning
will re-send.

Old June 19th 13, 07:10 AM posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Tue, 18 Jun 2013 08:32:24 -0700, Whirled Peas
wrote:

On 06/17/2013 11:06 PM, Mac Davis wrote:

No idea what Bois d'arc is...

Maclura pomifera, commonly called Osage orange, hedge apple, horse
apple, bois d'arc, bodark, or bodock. The name "bois d'arc" is thought
to come from French explorers who saw the native Americans using it for
their bows, i.e. "bow wood". We had some growing on the farm where I
grew up.

Ahhh..... I'm familiar with osage orange... thanks!
Old June 19th 13, 07:13 AM posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Tue, 18 Jun 2013 17:51:47 -0400, "G. Ross"
wrote:

G. Ross wrote:
[...]

You might consider getting on facebook, Gerald... Makes a nice
addition to newsgroups and easy to share pictures...

Old June 19th 13, 12:31 PM posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

wrote:

G. Ross wrote:
[...]

I tried it once. Couldn't face Facebook.

--
 GW Ross

 It worked! Now if only I could
 remember what I did! The Doctor

Old June 19th 13, 01:59 PM posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Kevin Miller wrote in
mmunications:

G. Ross wrote:
I got three sections of a tree from my BIL who got it from someone
else. The original cutter told him it was "either mulberry or Bois
d'arc". There were no leaves attached and the bark was all grunged up
with vines.

How to tell the difference? It is orange/yellow wood. It seems like
I've heard that mulberry is associated with an unpleasant smell when
being turned. There is no smell on this.

Any pointers?

There was no yellow color in the water with shavings in it overnight, so
I am calling it mulberry. It is wet, but it dulls my tools faster than
most woods. And no, I am not in the market for a carbide tool.

I've never turned it, but I've heard that the Bois d'arc is really hard.

It is.

No idea about mulberry.

Not nearly as hard as Bois d'arc / Osage orange.

Old June 19th 13, 03:30 PM posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

In article ,
"G. Ross" wrote:

G. Ross wrote:
I got three sections of a tree from my BIL who got it from someone
else. The original cutter told him it was "either mulberry or Bois
d'arc". There were no leaves attached and the bark was all grunged up
with vines.

How to tell the difference? It is orange/yellow wood. It seems like
I've heard that mulberry is associated with an unpleasant smell when
being turned. There is no smell on this.

Any pointers?

There was no yellow color in the water with shavings in it overnight,
so I am calling it mulberry. It is wet, but it dulls my tools faster
than most woods. And no, I am not in the market for a carbide tool.

Certainly -not- Bois (Osage)

Personal e-mail is the n7bsn but at amsat.org
RV and Camping FAQ can be found at
http://www.ralphandellen.us/rv
Old June 19th 13, 05:38 PM posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On 06/18/2013 01:51 PM, G. Ross wrote:
snip

Well, I sent it but don't see it. If it doesn't make it by morning will
re-send.

Then 2nd try turned up. I've never seen mulberry so have no idea if
that's what it is, but Bois d'arc is bright orange when fresh so it's
likely not that.

....Kevin
--
Kevin Miller
Juneau, Alaska
http://www.alaska.net/~atftb
"In the history of the world, no one has ever washed a rented car."
- Lawrence Summers

Mystery Wood Leon Woodworking Plans and Photos 10 November 12th 07 09:47 PM
Mystery Wood Steve S Woodturning 11 September 17th 06 07:47 PM
Mystery Wood Bob Moos Woodworking 6 July 11th 06 01:44 AM
mystery wood, think it is oak arw01 Woodworking 7 January 20th 06 07:58 PM
Mystery Dumpster Wood Jason Quick Woodworking 1 April 20th 05 09:02 PM