DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   High speed carvers? (https://www.diybanter.com/woodturning/35631-high-speed-carvers.html)

Lewis Dodd April 23rd 04 11:57 PM

High speed carvers?

After a somewhat lengthy search, I either came up with little information
or way too much input on high speed carvers!

Anyone have a source and favorite brand on like high speed dental carvers
and burrs, or is high speed dental flex shafts what I want for basically
surface textures and some piercing?

Thanks,
Lewis

--
"If I knew what I was doing, I wouldn't be here"

william_b_noble April 24th 04 05:35 AM

High speed carvers?

it depends on how "large" a texture you want to create - the HS air driven
micro carvers are really great (200K rpm and up) but are only useful for
fine and detailed work. A fordom type tool (dremel, etc, 10 to 20K rpm)
will handle a bigger bit and are useful for larger textures and carving. I
also have used a reciprocating carver and a flap wheel in the lathe for
shaping something that needs an organic type curve. I could post my
specific brands, but I think first you need to specify the scale at which
you wish to work.

Dan Bollinger April 24th 04 02:34 PM

High speed carvers?

I have seen a 3450rpm, 1/2 Hp heavy duty, 6' flex shaft machine used in =
cleaning foundry castings. I looked like it could handle a 1" burr. Dan

After a somewhat lengthy search, I either came up with little =

information
or way too much input on high speed carvers!
=20
Anyone have a source and favorite brand on like high speed dental =

carvers
and burrs, or is high speed dental flex shafts what I want for =

basically
surface textures and some piercing?
=20
Thanks,