Denis Marier

Default Bowl segments de-lamination

In 1962 we received a maple segmented salad bowl set as a wedding gift.
Last year I refinished the set and applied several coats of Walnut oil.
This winter one segment of the large bowl lip (rim) has de-laminated.
This segment is about 1 1/2" vertical X 5" horizontal. The gap produced by
the de-lamination is approx. 1/62" wide at the rim and tapering down to
nothing. The bowl is still usable.
I fear that further de-lamination will take place. Apart from filling the
crack will some bonding agent I do not know what is the best thing to do?

Denis

Carl Abrams

Well, here's a thought:

Thin CA glue with several rubber bands around it to hold it tight while the
glue dries.

It's possible that when you refinished it that you loosened some of the
original glue that was holding it together, and that the new walnut oil
soaked in, causing the delamination.

"Denis Marier" wrote in message
In 1962 we received a maple segmented salad bowl set as a wedding gift.
Last year I refinished the set and applied several coats of Walnut oil.
This winter one segment of the large bowl lip (rim) has de-laminated.
This segment is about 1 1/2" vertical X 5" horizontal. The gap produced by
the de-lamination is approx. 1/62" wide at the rim and tapering down to
nothing. The bowl is still usable.
I fear that further de-lamination will take place. Apart from filling the
crack will some bonding agent I do not know what is the best thing to do?

Denis

Denis Marier

That looks like the only way to fix the de-lamination. The wall thickness of
this bowl is about 1/2-5/8 thick. With the use of a syringe I will try to
inject the CA glue.
I wonder what coating would be best to apply instead of the walnut oil.
I take it that de-lamination is a problem that people do not like to talk.
This winter we had un-usual cold weather. My electricity bills corroborates
this abnormal cold weather for this area.
Well 42 years of good service may be the average life span for a maple
segmented salad bowl? This gives rise to the merit of solid salad bowl
However with today’s glue it may be better. This experience deserves
attention.. I am toying with the idea of using stitches and glue or other
mechanical devices for future segmented project?

"Carl Abrams" wrote in message
[...]

Silvan

Denis Marier wrote:

talk. This winter we had un-usual cold weather. My electricity bills
corroborates this abnormal cold weather for this area.

And how! We're on a budget plan, so we pay 1/12 of the expected yearly cost
every month, then they settle up at the end of the year. Usually we get a
little back. This year we got slapped with an electric bill for $800 right
after Christmas. Yeeesh!!

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/