Bridger

Default tool rest for south bend 9"

I lurk here a little, but I usually don't post. however, I have a
question that I haven't seen answered. it might turn out to be one of
those things covered in a FAQ somewhere... if so, please point me in
the right direction.

I inherited a south bend 9x36. it's a model A with the quick change
and the bench mount motor hanging off of the back. Grampa built a
pretty beefy bench for it with lots of room to bolt stuff to if
necessary.

what I want to do with it is set up a tool rest for woodturning
chisels. I'll pull the cross slide when working wood to get it out of
the way. it has the south bend prismatic ways, so the banjo from
another wood lathe is unlikely to work.

I have thought of making something that sits on the bench and
cantilevers over to the lathe center. If it were heavy enough It might
not even need to be bolted, which could be convenient for flexibility
of positioning.

another solution would involve machining a block to allow a generic
banjo to fit the ways. I'd lose a little of the 9" diameter, which is
a bit scant for a wood lathe to begin with, so I'd consider this a
less desireable solution

any thoughts?

Bridger
Leo Van Der Loo

Hi Bridger
Some of my thoughts interspersed with yours

Bridger wrote:
I lurk here a little, but I usually don't post. however, I have a
question that I haven't seen answered. it might turn out to be one of
those things covered in a FAQ somewhere... if so, please point me in
the right direction.

I inherited a south bend 9x36. it's a model A with the quick change
and the bench mount motor hanging off of the back. Grampa built a
pretty beefy bench for it with lots of room to bolt stuff to if
necessary.

What HP rating is your motor and what speeds on your lathe Bridger ?
My lathe is a 12by36 with a gap bed swing of 18" only good for
platters.

what I want to do with it is set up a tool rest for woodturning
chisels. I'll pull the cross slide when working wood to get it out of
the way. it has the south bend prismatic ways, so the banjo from
another wood lathe is unlikely to work.

What makes you think that ?
I use a standard banjo if I turn small bowls, candle sticks or small
boxes inboard
on my lathe, the banjo rides and clamps down on top of the ways and
not on the sides of them like the tool carriage, so no damage is being
done to them.

I have thought of making something that sits on the bench and
cantilevers over to the lathe center. If it were heavy enough It might
not even need to be bolted, which could be convenient for flexibility
of positioning.

What do you want to turn on your lathe, bowls or spindle work ?
If you park the carriage al the way back, pull your tailstock off, and
position it in front of your carriage, you can turn some bowls between
centers and also do spindle work, and yes you loose some length that
way, if you use a face plate you can use the 9" swing of your lathe
if spindle work, only whatever room there is over your banjo or tool
carriage. I wanted to turn mostly bigger bowls and did not like
leaning over the lathe, that was the reason I build a outboard turning
setup.

another solution would involve machining a block to allow a generic
banjo to fit the ways. I'd lose a little of the 9" diameter, which is
a bit scant for a wood lathe to begin with, so I'd consider this a
less desireable solution

You have the means to turn metal and wood, and maybe even the means
build a wood turning only lathe,

any thoughts?

Yes have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

Arch

Hi Bridger, First congratulations on owning a fine engine lathe that
served hundreds of small shops and withstood attacks by pimple faced
apprentices for many years BC (before CNC).

As usual, Leo's 'interspersions' help and hit the mark. I'll just
reinforce a couple of thoughts that you already know.
Don't make any permanent changes that compromise the machining
capabilities of your lathe, especially to the precious bed. It's a
valuable machine in its own right, and wood lathes are less expensive
and easier to find or make on your model A.
I think SB made a woodturning tool rest for the 9in". I know Atlas did.
You might find one on a metalwork newsgroup or in a defunct school shop.
Have fun making swarf as well as chips 'n shavings. Arch

Fortiter,

Bridger

Bridger wrote:
I lurk here a little, but I usually don't post. however, I have a
question that I haven't seen answered. it might turn out to be one of
those things covered in a FAQ somewhere... if so, please point me in
the right direction.

I inherited a south bend 9x36. it's a model A with the quick change
and the bench mount motor hanging off of the back. Grampa built a
pretty beefy bench for it with lots of room to bolt stuff to if
necessary.

What HP rating is your motor

IIRC it says 1/2 hp. remember though that this is a rating from the
20's. probably equivalent to a 1hp motor today....

and what speeds on your lathe Bridger ?

My lathe is a 12by36 with a gap bed swing of 18" only good for
platters.

why not for spindle work?

also, what make is your lathe?

what I want to do with it is set up a tool rest for woodturning
chisels. I'll pull the cross slide when working wood to get it out of
the way. it has the south bend prismatic ways, so the banjo from
another wood lathe is unlikely to work.

What makes you think that ?
I use a standard banjo if I turn small bowls, candle sticks or small
boxes inboard
on my lathe, the banjo rides and clamps down on top of the ways and
not on the sides of them like the tool carriage, so no damage is being
done to them.

these ways aren't flat on top. they have an inverted V profile that
sits higher than the flat part. it makes for a nice solid setup for
the cross slide, but difficulties setting up a banjo.

here's a picture that more or less shows it:
http://www.atlanticequipment.com/ima...2/P0007435.jpg

I have thought of making something that sits on the bench and
cantilevers over to the lathe center. If it were heavy enough It might
not even need to be bolted, which could be convenient for flexibility
of positioning.

What do you want to turn on your lathe, bowls or spindle work ?

yes.... G

If you park the carriage al the way back, pull your tailstock off, and
position it in front of your carriage, you can turn some bowls between
centers and also do spindle work, and yes you loose some length that
way, if you use a face plate you can use the 9" swing of your lathe
if spindle work, only whatever room there is over your banjo or tool
carriage. I wanted to turn mostly bigger bowls and did not like
leaning over the lathe, that was the reason I build a outboard turning
setup.

9" isn't a lot for a bowl lathe, and rotating the head isn't an
option. if I get into big bowl stuff I'll need a different machine.

another solution would involve machining a block to allow a generic
banjo to fit the ways. I'd lose a little of the 9" diameter, which is
a bit scant for a wood lathe to begin with, so I'd consider this a
less desireable solution

You have the means to turn metal and wood, and maybe even the means
build a wood turning only lathe,

yep. time and money are the limiting factors.... G

any thoughts?

Yes have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

thanks
Bridger
Bob Itnyre

Bridger I had the same question/situation a few years ago. Here is
how I solved it.
I turned a little device, shaped to slide into the T slot that the
lantern style tool post goes into. If you can imagine, this device
looked like two stacked silver dollars with two quarters centered and
stacked on top. I drilled a tapped a 5/6 x 18 hole in the center of it
and slid it into the t slot. I got a piece of 1 1/2 angle iron about 5
inches long. I drilled a hole in one of the sides of the angle iron
that a 5/16 bolt would fit through. I laid it on top of the compound
rest, with the hole aligned with the tapped hole and slid a short bolt
in and presto I had a tool rest that I could adjust around as needed
and put my wood turning tools on it to turn wood. By the way Grizzly
sells a number 3 morse taper spur center if you need to turn spindles.
Of course you might have to adjust sizes to fit your needs. Beauty of
it is, it is real fast to set up and take down, and also it rides on
the existing carraige so your ways don't have some alien device on
them, possible gurring them up. Drop me a line if you have any
questions. Keep turning. Bob

Bridger wrote in message . ..
[...]

Leo Van Der Loo

Hi Bridger

They say a picture is worth a thousand words, well here's 14 thousand of
them, g, ok go to,

http://homepage.mac.com/lvanderloo/PhotoAlbum18html

I just made those pictures so you will have a better idea what I meant,
if you are interested.

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

Bridger wrote:

[...]

Leo Van Der Loo

Sorry but there is a . between 18 and html so it is

Bridger wrote:

[...]

You have the means to turn metal and wood, and maybe even the means to
build a wood turning only lathe,

yep. time and money are the limiting factors.... G

any thoughts?

Yes have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

thanks
Bridger

Leo Van Der Loo

Hello Bridger

They say a picture is worth a thousand words, well here's fourteen
thousand of them, goto

http://homepage.mac.com/l.vanderloo/PhotoAlbum18.html

It will give you a better idea of what I have done to make it possible
for me to turn both metal and wood.

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

Bridger wrote:

[...]

Bridger

On 5 Feb 2004 21:27:30 -0800, (Bob Itnyre) wrote:

Bridger I had the same question/situation a few years ago. Here is
how I solved it.
I turned a little device, shaped to slide into the T slot that the
lantern style tool post goes into. If you can imagine, this device
looked like two stacked silver dollars with two quarters centered and
stacked on top. I drilled a tapped a 5/6 x 18 hole in the center of it
and slid it into the t slot.

basically a Tslot nut? I have a mixed lot of misc Tslot nuts. hafta
see if one might work.

I got a piece of 1 1/2 angle iron about 5
inches long. I drilled a hole in one of the sides of the angle iron
that a 5/16 bolt would fit through. I laid it on top of the compound
rest, with the hole aligned with the tapped hole and slid a short bolt
in and presto I had a tool rest that I could adjust around as needed
and put my wood turning tools on it to turn wood.

this will probably be my first approach. I like that it involves the
least amount of changing the current configuration. it has a couple
of drawbacks that I can see- it eats up a couple of inches of swing
(of which I have little to spare) and it leaves some easily removeable
precision sliding parts in the waste stream of wood chips.

By the way Grizzly
sells a number 3 morse taper spur center if you need to turn spindles.

they als sell a #2MT cup center for the tailstock. Got 'em : ^ )

Of course you might have to adjust sizes to fit your needs. Beauty of
it is, it is real fast to set up and take down,

easy back and forth from wood to metal. nice.

and also it rides on
the existing carraige so your ways don't have some alien device on
them, possible gurring them up.

this is a real concern.

Drop me a line if you have any
questions. Keep turning. Bob

thanks
Bridger

Arch

....And another obvious thing you already know, Bridger. All the
tooling, unique
configuring, accessories and our advice aside; a major problem in
dancing the tricky metal - wood waltz will be the aggravation of
keeping the one well oiled & greased and the other squeaky clean. LDD
and wood sap are OK for wood & human hands, NG for metal lathes. Keep
the ways and saddle covered as well as possible, but I'm betting you
will soon be looking for a proper woodturning lathe. Arch

Fortiter,

Leo Van Der Loo

Hi Arch

Yes you are right about the unique tooling, if this was woodworking one
could go to just about any building supply center and buy a planer,
table saw, jointer etc., as it is, the wood turning tools are almost a
custom build item, ordered from specialty tool supply stores or imported
from places like New Zealand, Australia, England, etc., with Prices to
match.
The nice thing about having a metal turning lathe is the possibility to
make a lot of these tools and accessories yourself, yes you could make
some of these things also without having a metal lathe.

Another thing is you have a machine that has a non flimsy body, spindle,
head and tail stock etc., more and low turning speeds at full torque.

As for that what you call a major problem and aggravation, there is
none, other than keeping things clean and as with any other woodworking
machine, you have to do certain things to keep your jointer or table saw
top from rusting, as well as a wood turning lathe.

LDD is not an issue with me, I don't use it (after having tried it),

After turning wet green wood, you dry things and clean up, if I want to
turn metal some cleaning and lubrication is necessary, as would be the
case in any shop before you start to turn, unless this is a 24 hr. a day
ongoing job, where one would do this also ongoing.

If I had a production wood turning shop I would have wood turning lathes.
As it is in my case (and with most of the posters here imho) I turn wood
for fun and more often than metal, but still want to be able to turn
metal, I also wanted to and do turn "larger bowls and platters", and if
you look around, most anyone that does this has custom build equipment,
and I don't like the price tags.
Now if you like to turn small treen, smaller bowls etc. than you are
probably right in thinking that one should go out and buy one of the
better quality small lathes that are available today, then again if it
was me, maybe not.
I like what I have and am not about to change that, add to it? Who
knows, maybe I'll win a million, come to think of it, I would have to
buy a ticket first wouldn't I ?

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

Arch wrote:
...And another obvious thing you already know, Bridger. All the
tooling, unique
configuring, accessories and our advice aside; a major problem in
dancing the tricky metal - wood waltz will be the aggravation of
keeping the one well oiled & greased and the other squeaky clean. LDD
and wood sap are OK for wood & human hands, NG for metal lathes. Keep
the ways and saddle covered as well as possible, but I'm betting you
will soon be looking for a proper woodturning lathe. Arch

Fortiter,

Leo Van Der Loo

Hi Bridger

Things are not the same anymore, thank the Lord, but when I started
turning wood, late 50th early 60th, there was no one to ask how to, no
tools to buy, etc.
I used our big old engine lathe, German build in the 30th and had to
figure out how to hold or fasten a block of wood, make a tool, sharpen
it at what angle, or shape, turn at what speed, how to sand, what to
finish with, etc. etc.
I also tried a bar on the compound slide, its nice for using inside a
box when using a scraper but there are problems with adjusting for
center height, for inside turning you want to be above center, for
outside, at or below, spacers don't improve tool rest stability, and if
you use a bowl gauge rather than a scraper, the angle to use your gauge
in will have your whole tool carridge in the way, that is why I use a
banjo and tool rest, and after years of using that setup I have no
damage to my Prism ways.
So Bridger do as you please of course, I'd be the last one to tell you
don't do this or that, but for what its worth, i've been there and done
that.
Hope this is of some help to you.

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

Bridger wrote:

[...]

Confessions of a tool junkie M Wingett Woodworking 3 July 23rd 04 12:36 AM
Iscar Parting Tool and Tool Block Question... Steve Metalworking 6 June 27th 04 09:48 AM
"homemade" tool steel George Watson Metalworking 39 January 24th 04 01:06 AM
height of tool rest moggy Woodturning 7 November 23rd 03 06:18 PM
Lorch Junior lathe slide rest info? Hans van Dongen Metalworking 3 November 18th 03 05:30 PM