DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   high speed turning tools (https://www.diybanter.com/woodturning/34996-high-speed-turning-tools.html)

Franko January 15th 04 07:57 PM

high speed turning tools

In the AAW Journal of the American Woodturner magazine classified ad
section Frank Lynn, Washington state advertizes high speed steel
turning tools and also high speed steel bars at a reasonable price.
Has anyone purchased any of these and what's your comments. I would
like to make some heavy scrapers. At least 3/8 in thick. Any other
sources for high speed steel bars.

AHilton January 15th 04 08:57 PM

high speed turning tools

I've not used the Frank Lynn steel that he advertises. I made my own
scrapers from "Weldable Steel" (do a search on this newsgroup archives for
those words) that are 1/2" thick. I made some as wide as 2". They won't
vibrate. They're cheap and easy to find. You can make them to whatever size
you want. It's far easier to form your burr on the edges.

As long as you're planning to make your own anyway, you might give that a
shot.

- Andrew

om...

Bob Edwards January 15th 04 11:19 PM

high speed turning tools

(Franko) wrote in message . com...
In the AAW Journal of the American Woodturner magazine classified ad
section Frank Lynn, Washington state advertizes high speed steel
turning tools and also high speed steel bars at a reasonable price.
Has anyone purchased any of these and what's your comments. I would
like to make some heavy scrapers. At least 3/8 in thick. Any other
sources for high speed steel bars.

I have been using scrapers from Frank for about 12 years and they are
of the finest steel I have ever used. Frank is retired from one of
the major plywood companies. He had something to do with sharpening
the planner blades they used in the factory. He has maintained a
contact with the company and this is the steel he uses to make the
scrapers and parting tools. He is a small one man opperation and will
grind any shape you want as well as put a tang on the tool. At one
time he sold them with or without handles. At that time they were so
cheep it wasn't worth making your own. Don't know if he still does
that or not. His product is great and he is the nicest man you will
ever deal with. I try to plug his work everytime I do a demo and have
never sent him a dissatisfied customer.
Call him, and tell him I said hello!!

Bob Edwards-San Antonio, TX

Chuck January 17th 04 05:24 PM

high speed turning tools

On Fri, 16 Jan 2004 19:12:01 -0500, "F Donald Hart"
wrote:

Hey Don,

Please post these in alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking. Not supposed
to post binaries in these text-only newsgroups.

Thanks

begin 666 p.gif

--
Chuck *#:^)