NoNameAtAll

Default Lathe recommendation needed

Ever since my shop class in middle school many years ago I've wanted to own a
wood lathe because it was so much fun. I'm finally getting a house with enough
room for a workshop, so I'd like to finally add one to my inventory. Can
someone recommend a good lathe for me? There are no specific projects that I
had in mind, but I thought it might be interesting to start by making my son a
baseball bat because it's simple and then perhaps try bowls, pens, rolling
pins, candle sticks, lamps, etc. Thanks in advance.
Ghodges2

How much time will you spend on it, and how much money will you be willing to
spend on the lathe?
NoNameAtAll

How much time will you spend on it, and how much money will you be willing to
spend on the lathe?

I don't imagine that I will spend a great deal of time using it. I saw a Jet
for $400 and I'd say that's probably the top of my price range.
Ken Grunke

NoNameAtAll wrote:
How much time will you spend on it, and how much money will you be willing to
spend on the lathe?

I don't imagine that I will spend a great deal of time using it. I saw a Jet
for $400 and I'd say that's probably the top of my price range.

I don't own a Jet lathe, but have heard good reviews all around.
You can get a discontinued Jet Mini without variable speed for maybe
$200, put a bed extension on for another $50 and be able to turn a bat
plus bowls up to 9+" diameter after spending maybe $100 on basic good
quality tools.

Ken Grunke
Coulee Region Woodturners of Southwest Wisconsin
http://www.crwoodturner.com/

Ghodges2

The $400 limits the type of lathe you can buy. The Jet Mini will be a good
starter, a good keeper, or trading for a larger lathe at a later time. You
will have at least this much to invest in tools and sharpening equipment. Good
luck.
Glenn Hodges
Nashville, Georgia