Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Dogwood

A local church had a dogwood tree cut and offered me the wood. The
section nearest the ground was 16 inches in diameter. Biggest durn
dogwood I ever saw. Will have enough for 8 large bowls and a bunch of
smaller ones. Been slicing and sealing, roughed out a few.
Christmas in November.
--
G.W. Ross

Make Headlines..use a corduroy pillow....

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On 11/10/2012 10:17 AM, G. Ross wrote:
A local church had a dogwood tree cut and offered me the wood. The
section nearest the ground was 16 inches in diameter. Biggest durn
dogwood I ever saw. Will have enough for 8 large bowls and a bunch of
smaller ones. Been slicing and sealing, roughed out a few.
Christmas in November.

Nice score. Any figure or color in dogwood? Post some photos when you
get some made...

--
Kevin Miller - http://www.alaska.net/~atftb
Juneau, Alaska
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Kevin Miller wrote:
On 11/10/2012 10:17 AM, G. Ross wrote:
A local church had a dogwood tree cut and offered me the wood. The
section nearest the ground was 16 inches in diameter. Biggest durn
dogwood I ever saw. Will have enough for 8 large bowls and a bunch of
smaller ones. Been slicing and sealing, roughed out a few.
Christmas in November.

Nice score. Any figure or color in dogwood? Post some photos when you
get some made...

Minimal figure but is a pleasant pink color which does not fade or
turn brown.

--
G.W. Ross

Make Headlines..use a corduroy pillow....

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Sat, 10 Nov 2012 15:47:02 -0600, G. Ross wrote
(in message ) :

Kevin Miller wrote:
On 11/10/2012 10:17 AM, G. Ross wrote:
A local church had a dogwood tree cut and offered me the wood. The
section nearest the ground was 16 inches in diameter. Biggest durn
dogwood I ever saw. Will have enough for 8 large bowls and a bunch of
smaller ones. Been slicing and sealing, roughed out a few.
Christmas in November.

Nice score. Any figure or color in dogwood? Post some photos when you
get some made...

Minimal figure but is a pleasant pink color which does not fade or
turn brown.

you can recognize dogwood by its bark.
tom koehler

--
I will find a way or make one.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

(in message6qqdnT2cf8wJVgPNnZ2dnUVZ_uSdnZ2d@giganews. com):

Kevin Miller wrote:
On 11/10/2012 10:17 AM, G. Ross wrote:
A local church had a dogwood tree cut and offered me the wood. The
section nearest the ground was 16 inches in diameter. Biggest durn
dogwood I ever saw. Will have enough for 8 large bowls and a bunch of
smaller ones. Been slicing and sealing, roughed out a few.
Christmas in November.

Nice score. Any figure or color in dogwood? Post some photos when you
get some made...

Minimal figure but is a pleasant pink color which does not fade or
turn brown.

you can recognize dogwood by its bark.
tom koehler

Good one. Actually another name for it is alligator bark tree because
of the way the bark looks. or sounds.

--
G.W. Ross

Historian (n.): An unsuccessful
novelist. --H.L. Mencken

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Mon, 12 Nov 2012 13:15:24 -0600, G. Ross wrote
(in message ) :

Kevin Miller wrote:
On 11/10/2012 10:17 AM, G. Ross wrote:
A local church had a dogwood tree cut and offered me the wood. The
section nearest the ground was 16 inches in diameter. Biggest durn
dogwood I ever saw. Will have enough for 8 large bowls and a bunch of
smaller ones. Been slicing and sealing, roughed out a few.
Christmas in November.

Nice score. Any figure or color in dogwood? Post some photos when you
get some made...

Minimal figure but is a pleasant pink color which does not fade or
turn brown.

you can recognize dogwood by its bark.
tom koehler

Good one. Actually another name for it is alligator bark tree because
of the way the bark looks. or sounds.

there is a type here in northern Minn that is a type of brushwood, has glossy
red bark, called red osier dogwood, a favorite browse for deer.

--
I will find a way or make one.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Sat, 10 Nov 2012 14:17:57 -0500, "G. Ross"
wrote:

A local church had a dogwood tree cut and offered me the wood. The
section nearest the ground was 16 inches in diameter. Biggest durn
dogwood I ever saw. Will have enough for 8 large bowls and a bunch of
smaller ones. Been slicing and sealing, roughed out a few.
Christmas in November.

Cool... In case my CRS kicked in and I didn't tell you, both of the
bowls that I turned from your dogwwd blanks for that animal charity
sold... Thanks again!
I was my first experience with dogwood and a lot of fun...
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Sat, 10 Nov 2012 16:47:02 -0500, "G. Ross"
wrote:

Kevin Miller wrote:
On 11/10/2012 10:17 AM, G. Ross wrote:
A local church had a dogwood tree cut and offered me the wood. The
section nearest the ground was 16 inches in diameter. Biggest durn
dogwood I ever saw. Will have enough for 8 large bowls and a bunch of
smaller ones. Been slicing and sealing, roughed out a few.
Christmas in November.

Nice score. Any figure or color in dogwood? Post some photos when you
get some made...

Minimal figure but is a pleasant pink color which does not fade or
turn brown.

Of the 2 roughed out bowls that you sent, one was solid pink and the
other was slightly spalted and very pretty..
I gave both 2 coats of natural Danish oil and then buffed them and
they were very pretty bowls..
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

wrote:

A local church had a dogwood tree cut and offered me the wood. The
section nearest the ground was 16 inches in diameter. Biggest durn
dogwood I ever saw. Will have enough for 8 large bowls and a bunch of
smaller ones. Been slicing and sealing, roughed out a few.
Christmas in November.

Cool... In case my CRS kicked in and I didn't tell you, both of the
bowls that I turned from your dogwwd blanks for that animal charity
sold... Thanks again!
I was my first experience with dogwood and a lot of fun...

I remember. And how are the animals? And your family?
Getting ready for the annual Christmas sale here, and roughing out
dogwood, and cracking pecans.

--
G.W. Ross

After all is said and done, usually
more is said than done.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

wrote:

A local church had a dogwood tree cut and offered me the wood. The
section nearest the ground was 16 inches in diameter. Biggest durn
dogwood I ever saw. Will have enough for 8 large bowls and a bunch of
smaller ones. Been slicing and sealing, roughed out a few.
Christmas in November.

Cool... In case my CRS kicked in and I didn't tell you, both of the
bowls that I turned from your dogwwd blanks for that animal charity
sold... Thanks again!
I was my first experience with dogwood and a lot of fun...

I remember. And how are the animals? And your family?
Getting ready for the annual Christmas sale here, and roughing out
dogwood, and cracking pecans.

The event was "Woofstock" and raised quite a bit, I think it was
enough to finish the year out on free spaying, rounding up strays,
etc....
We're doing great! Baja agrees with us and our budget...
Got my business license a few months ago, so Baja Woodcraft is "legal"
now and doing a show a month...

Dogwood?? mac davis[_2_] Woodturning 27 January 30th 08 10:43 PM
Dogwood ScottKlassen Woodturning 5 November 7th 07 05:41 PM
Dogwood Turnings Scratch Ankle Woodworking Plans and Photos 6 November 6th 07 12:34 AM
What to do with Dogwood Bob Darrah Woodturning 9 November 3rd 04 01:39 AM
Wormy dogwood? Silvan Woodturning 0 November 20th 03 10:17 PM