Peter

Default Record CL3 Lathe Problem

I have a Record CL3 lathe that I have recently started using. I noticed
that it was getting rather rattly and discovered that of the two grub screws
supposed to be holding the spindle pulley in place one was not in situ. I
have since found it in the headstock and replaced it but the two screws
always work loose causing me great frustration at having to keep stopping to
tighten them up. Has anyone else experienced this problem and if so can they
suggest a solution. I have taken the shaft apart and can see no obvious
defects but did notice that there was quite a lot of oil on the shaft
(probably due to my over enthusiastic use of the oil can). Could this be
the problem?
Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Peter

Jim Swank

Peter -

There's two possibilities, and I can't tell foor sure which is the case
from your post. Either the pulley is moving on the shaft without the
screws loosening, or the screws are loosening allowing the puley to
move. It sounds like the latter.

Get some Loctite thread sealant. You want the penetrating type for use
after assembly. Clean all the oil off screws and out of hole. There's
a Loctite primer made for this purpose, Lacquer thinner will also work
with a little more effort. After screws and holes are both clean and
dry, reassemble and tighten good. Then apply a couple drops of Loctite
sealant where the screws go into the holes. A couple hour's wait should
do, but I suggest overnight. Should be no problem thereafter.

If the former, dimple the shaft or grind a small flat for the screw to
seat against.

Jim

Peter wrote:
I have a Record CL3 lathe that I have recently started using. I noticed
that it was getting rather rattly and discovered that of the two grub screws
supposed to be holding the spindle pulley in place one was not in situ. I
have since found it in the headstock and replaced it but the two screws
always work loose causing me great frustration at having to keep stopping to
tighten them up. Has anyone else experienced this problem and if so can they
suggest a solution. I have taken the shaft apart and can see no obvious
defects but did notice that there was quite a lot of oil on the shaft
(probably due to my over enthusiastic use of the oil can). Could this be
the problem?
Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Peter

Leo Lichtman

(clip) Thanks in advance for any suggestions. Peter
^^^^^^^^^^^
Another way to keep set screws from loosening is to put two in each hole.
You may have to substitute two short screws for one longer one in each hole.
After you firmly tighten the first, run the second one up behind it and
REALLY torque it in.

Ken Moon

Peter, I had a similar problem with my old monotube's pulleys. I went to
Home Depot and found some longer screws (but not long enough to protrude
above the bottom of the pulley groove), then used Loctite and had no more
problem.

Ken Moon
**********************************
"Peter" wrote in message news:3fc3bdec.0@entanet...
I have a Record CL3 lathe that I have recently started using. I noticed
that it was getting rather rattly and discovered that of the two grub

screws
supposed to be holding the spindle pulley in place one was not in situ. I
have since found it in the headstock and replaced it but the two screws
always work loose causing me great frustration at having to keep stopping

tighten them up. Has anyone else experienced this problem and if so can

they
suggest a solution. I have taken the shaft apart and can see no obvious
defects but did notice that there was quite a lot of oil on the shaft
(probably due to my over enthusiastic use of the oil can). Could this be
the problem?
Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Peter

Peter Charles Fagg

Peter, another alternative is using a longer grub screw and a locknut.
The best is the Loctite fluid. I too have a CL3 but have never
experienced this particular problem in the last 5 years of using it in
my business.

Hope you solve it, the lathe is a great tool,

Regards,
Peter Charles Fagg
Freshwater, Isle of Wight,
United Kingdom.
www.petersplatters.co.uk
Each can do but little!
But if each DID that little,
ALL would be done!

billh

You are already up to your armpits in good advice but I will add you should
get new grub screws and some of the recommendations indirectly require you
to do so. The bottom cup or serrations can wear and a new screw will give
more bite on the shaft. Combine that with Loctite or double screws per hole
should fix the problem permanently.
Billh

[...]

Leo Lichtman

billh wrote: (clip) Combine that with Loctite or double screws per hole
^^^^^^^^^^^^
I'm not sure this is what you meant, but double screws AND Locktite surely
ought to hold. A belt and suspenders ought to keep your pants up.

Nigel Coates

Peter,
I too have a Record CL3 - had it for six or seven years, but never
experienced this problem. I replaced the motor about two years ago and
struggled for some time to get the pulley off the motor shaft. Loosened the
grub screw and expected the pulley to slide easily. It was only when I took
the grub screw right out of its hole that I discovered a second screw
underneath.
The pulley on the spindle is exactly the same, one grub screw on top of the
other. Tighten the first one down on the spindle, then tighten the second
one down on top of the first. It's the same principle as locking two nuts on
a bolt to prevent them working loose. Loctite may help, but you shouldn't
need it.

Nigel Coates

[...]

billh

I was adding to the discussion that new screws should be used since the cup
rim on the bottom of the screw can become dull/worn and not bite the shaft
as well as the rim on new screws. The bottom of set screws usually have a
depression in the center with a raised ring (cup rim) for contacting the
shaft. I was told by machinists some time ago to change the screws if a
pulley loosens. Others mentioned double screws and Loctite which I would
consider good insurance as well.
Billh

"Leo Lichtman" wrote in message

billh wrote: (clip) Combine that with Loctite or double screws per hole
I'm not sure this is what you meant, but double screws AND Locktite surely
ought to hold. A belt and suspenders ought to keep your pants up.

Lathe value... I know I'm going to regret asking this. Ken Moffett Metalworking 3 May 22nd 04 12:01 AM
Lathe price Cuezilla Metalworking 13 October 6th 03 07:42 PM
Ideas for quieting the Craftsman 21715 15" lathe? Daryl Biberdorf Woodturning 8 July 28th 03 03:01 PM
Midi lathe problem, continued Woodturning 1 July 11th 03 12:05 AM