DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Turning Punky wood (https://www.diybanter.com/woodturning/346452-turning-punky-wood.html)

G. Ross September 15th 12 01:35 AM

Turning Punky wood

I am trying to turn a silver maple bowl with punky areas . I tried
using thin CA glue but it does not seem to penetrate far enough to
help much. Have any of you found anything that works better?
--
G.W. Ross

Brain cells come and brain cells go,
but FAT cells live forever.

Dr. Deb[_2_] September 15th 12 02:44 PM

Turning Punky wood

G. Ross wrote:

I am trying to turn a silver maple bowl with punky areas . I tried
using thin CA glue but it does not seem to penetrate far enough to
help much. Have any of you found anything that works better?

You might try

http://www.minwax.com/wood-products/...r/minwax-high-
performance-wood-
hardener?WT.srch=1&gclid=CIOguKzbt7ICFQP0nAodXgQAH Q

One of the guys in my Woodturner's Club (Alabama Woodturners Assn)
recommended it to me. It is as effective as thin CA, without the fumes you
get from CA if the wood is at all wet. The added advantage is, you can pour
it in your bowl and let it set for awhile as it soaks into the wood.

Its not that expenisve, try it and see how it works.

Deb

G. Ross September 15th 12 03:11 PM

Turning Punky wood

Dr. Deb wrote:
G. Ross wrote:

I am trying to turn a silver maple bowl with punky areas . I tried
using thin CA glue but it does not seem to penetrate far enough to
help much. Have any of you found anything that works better?

You might try

http://www.minwax.com/wood-products/...r/minwax-high-
performance-wood-
hardener?WT.srch=1&gclid=CIOguKzbt7ICFQP0nAodXgQAH Q

One of the guys in my Woodturner's Club (Alabama Woodturners Assn)
recommended it to me. It is as effective as thin CA, without the fumes you
get from CA if the wood is at all wet. The added advantage is, you can pour
it in your bowl and let it set for awhile as it soaks into the wood.

Its not that expenisve, try it and see how it works.

Deb

Thanks! Ordered some and will give it a try.

Bill[_44_] September 15th 12 04:42 PM

Turning Punky wood

On 9/15/2012 6:44 AM, Dr. Deb wrote:
G. Ross wrote:

I am trying to turn a silver maple bowl with punky areas . I tried
using thin CA glue but it does not seem to penetrate far enough to
help much. Have any of you found anything that works better?

You might try

http://www.minwax.com/wood-products/...r/minwax-high-
performance-wood-
hardener?WT.srch=1&gclid=CIOguKzbt7ICFQP0nAodXgQAH Q

One of the guys in my Woodturner's Club (Alabama Woodturners Assn)
recommended it to me. It is as effective as thin CA, without the fumes you
get from CA if the wood is at all wet. The added advantage is, you can pour
it in your bowl and let it set for awhile as it soaks into the wood.

Its not that expenisve, try it and see how it works.

Deb

I've had good luck with sharp tools and CA glue, I've also used wax and
pentrating epoxy and white glue - it all depends on what you have and
what you want to achieve. the key is what finish will you put over the
thing when you are done and how does the glop you are putting on affect
the finish.

Dr. Deb[_2_] September 17th 12 02:33 PM

Turning Punky wood

G. Ross wrote:

http://www.minwax.com/wood-products/...repair/minwax-

high-
performance-wood-
hardener?WT.srch=1&gclid=CIOguKzbt7ICFQP0nAodXgQAH Q

One of the guys in my Woodturner's Club (Alabama Woodturners Assn)
recommended it to me. It is as effective as thin CA, without the fumes
you
get from CA if the wood is at all wet. The added advantage is, you can
pour it in your bowl and let it set for awhile as it soaks into the wood.

Its not that expenisve, try it and see how it works.

Deb

Thanks! Ordered some and will give it a try.

Let me know how it works for you.
\
Deb

[email protected] February 12th 13 09:39 PM

Turning Punky wood

On Friday, September 14, 2012 7:35:02 PM UTC-5, G. Ross wrote:
I am trying to turn a silver maple bowl with punky areas . I tried
using thin CA glue but it does not seem to penetrate far enough to
help much. Have any of you found anything that works better?

Try a 1- or 2- lb cut of shellac. Soak the piece for a while, then let it dry. Be aware that it will change shape, as it absorbs the liquid.

John Pierce
Maker of Fine Wood Chips and Sawdust

G.W.Ross February 12th 13 10:10 PM

Turning Punky wood

On 2/12/2013 4:39 PM, wrote:
On Friday, September 14, 2012 7:35:02 PM UTC-5, G. Ross wrote:
I am trying to turn a silver maple bowl with punky areas . I tried
using thin CA glue but it does not seem to penetrate far enough to
help much. Have any of you found anything that works better?

Try a 1- or 2- lb cut of shellac. Soak the piece for a while, then let it dry. Be aware that it will change shape, as it absorbs the liquid.

John Pierce
Maker of Fine Wood Chips and Sawdust

Thanks for the reply. I wound up using, I believe, Minwax wood
hardener. Anyway the bowl has been finished and sold a couple of months
ago.

--
 GW Ross

 If wishes were horses, dog food would
 be a lot cheaper.

Dr. Deb[_2_] February 18th 13 03:23 PM

Turning Punky wood

wrote:

On Friday, September 14, 2012 7:35:02 PM UTC-5, G. Ross wrote:
I am trying to turn a silver maple bowl with punky areas . I tried
using thin CA glue but it does not seem to penetrate far enough to
help much. Have any of you found anything that works better?

Try a 1- or 2- lb cut of shellac. Soak the piece for a while, then let it
dry. Be aware that it will change shape, as it absorbs the liquid.

John Pierce
Maker of Fine Wood Chips and Sawdust

Or paint it liberally with thin CA glue. But be aware, IF there is any
moisture in the wood (and with punky wood there always is) you are going to
generate some serious fumes that will drive you out of the room, so do this
either in a VERY well ventilated room or outside.

With either the shellac or the CA, you will probably have to reapply after
you have have worked on it a bit.

The advantatge of the CA over the Shellac is drying time. While shellac
dries quickly on the surface, it will take a bit longer deeper down. CA
will be ready to go in a couple of minutes, or by the time the fumes clear.

Deb

Mac Davis February 19th 13 05:15 PM

Turning Punky wood

On Mon, 18 Feb 2013 09:23:43 -0600, "Dr. Deb"
wrote:

Agreed on the CA... I use "water thin" to soak in and harden the
wood...

I always unscrew the lathe chuck and leave the piece mounted in it,
and take it outside..
Not only toxic fumes but I've also had some wood that generated
intense heat...

Duncan Hoyle[_3_] February 20th 13 11:37 PM

Turning Punky wood

I've had some success using this wet rot hardener -
http://www.screwfix.com/p/ronseal-we...er-500ml/63540

It brushes on easily, soaks in well to penetrate deep into the wood and
dries quickly. Seems to be cheaper than CA.
Using too much can clog abrasive a little but that's the only downside
that I've found.