Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Jet 1442 bowl extension

Long time no post, but I know I've seen an accessory system for the
Jet 1442 lathe for turning bowls. It essentially turns the headstock
at 90 degrees to the lathe bed and has a separate tool rest. What in
heck is this thing called, and where can I get one?

TIA,
Phil
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

In article
,
Phil Crow wrote:

Long time no post, but I know I've seen an accessory system for the
Jet 1442 lathe for turning bowls. It essentially turns the headstock
at 90 degrees to the lathe bed and has a separate tool rest. What in
heck is this thing called, and where can I get one?

Outboard adapter.

A quick Google search suggests it should come with the lathe.

--
"I think all right-thinking people in this country are sick and tired of being
told that ordinary, decent, people are fed up in this country with being sick
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Phil Crow wrote:

Long time no post, but I know I've seen an accessory system for the
Jet 1442 lathe for turning bowls. It essentially turns the headstock
at 90 degrees to the lathe bed and has a separate tool rest. What in
heck is this thing called, and where can I get one?

TIA,
Phil

Phil, if you want the cheap way to do this, the Harbor Freight 12x36 lathe
has an extension. The good thing is, it fits the Jet 1446 banjo (I know, I
have one). Click on the Download Manual and the part you want is on the
exploded diagram and is "M38" Call their Tech Support and order it. It
will be less than $10.00. While you are at it, order a couple of Tool Rests
also. When they arrive (perfect fits for the Jet, BTW) cut them to lenght
(I now have a 4", and 8" and a 12").

You will have the entire order (extension and two tool rests) for less than
you would pay for the Jet extension alone.

FWIW

Deb
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

My lathe uses a left hand plate or chuck on the outboard end of the
spindle and the tool bar is on a stand.

I don't have the setup myself, but that is how it was designed.

Martin

On 9/4/2012 7:03 AM, Dave Balderstone wrote:
In article
,
Phil Crow wrote:

Long time no post, but I know I've seen an accessory system for the
Jet 1442 lathe for turning bowls. It essentially turns the headstock
at 90 degrees to the lathe bed and has a separate tool rest. What in
heck is this thing called, and where can I get one?

Outboard adapter.

A quick Google search suggests it should come with the lathe.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Phil Crow wrote:

Long time no post, but I know I've seen an accessory system for the
Jet 1442 lathe for turning bowls. It essentially turns the headstock
at 90 degrees to the lathe bed and has a separate tool rest. What in
heck is this thing called, and where can I get one?

TIA,
Phil

Phil, as for how to use the tool rest extension. Unlock the head and slide
it down the ways. Take the tailstock off, move the banjo to the other end
of the lathe. Insert the extension in the banjo and adjust accordingly.

Of course you fully realize this is only necessary if you are turning bowls
larger than 14", right? Anything smaller than that you turn between
centers, make a tenon, mount on the chuck and go from there.

In turning outboard, you need stock that has a waste block mounted on it so
you can turn a tenon or recess to mount the chuck on. Also, keep your speed
as slow as possible, at least until you get it balanced.

Deb

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Mon, 3 Sep 2012 19:07:14 -0700 (PDT), Phil Crow
wrote:

Long time no post, but I know I've seen an accessory system for the
Jet 1442 lathe for turning bowls. It essentially turns the headstock
at 90 degrees to the lathe bed and has a separate tool rest. What in
heck is this thing called, and where can I get one?

TIA,
Phil

This is for turning bowls larger than 14" diameter on your lathe...
You know that, right??

It's called an outboard tool rest... Available as an option from Jet..
People that I've talked to don't like it or the cost.. I think it was
about $300 when I had my 1442VS..

Most people prefer a freestanding tool rest, looks like a large
automotive safety stand with a tool rest.... These can be purchased
or built...

I really wouldn't recommend this unless you really need to turn LARGE
objects and have a lot of experience turning bowls.. YMWV
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Large bowl turners make their own or buy lathes designed for such.

They don't have ways just a deep head and heavy duty. The large U
frame has a tail stock when wanted. Most are just the head.

I suggest searching for bowl turning lathe. Use Google naturally.

Martin

wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On 9/14/2012 10:09 PM, Martin Eastburn wrote:
Large bowl turners make their own or buy lathes designed for such.

They don't have ways just a deep head and heavy duty. The large U
frame has a tail stock when wanted. Most are just the head.

I suggest searching for bowl turning lathe. Use Google naturally.

Martin

Yeah but if you just want to do one now and then the extension
is s good idea.

Jet-1442 VSK Leetollett Woodturning 4 January 17th 08 07:36 PM
Jet 1442 Dr. Deb Woodturning 2 June 6th 06 04:38 AM
Jet 1442 Dr. Deb Woodturning 3 February 17th 05 03:13 PM
Jet 1442 Extension Bed RonB Woodturning 2 October 15th 04 04:22 PM