DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Chuck pointers for JET mini... (https://www.diybanter.com/woodturning/34581-chuck-pointers-jet-mini.html)

Silvan November 12th 03 02:20 AM

Chuck pointers for JET mini...

I think I'm going to need a chuck before I need anything else, and there's
still time to get it added to Santa's list. I know diddly squat about
chucks, so I could use some simple "buy this one from here" advice.

I'm expecting to try my hand at doing a chess set for one thing, and I'll be
making myriad small parts for wooden steam locomotives. These are the
things I had in mind when I decided to get a lathe, though I'm sure I will
come up with other uses for it once I get it set up.

I'd appreciate it if someone would steer me toward the kind of stuff I need
to be looking at for this kind of work. Money is not abundant, and I'd
prefer to avoid buying anything regretable this early on. :)

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/

Leo Lichtman November 12th 03 06:20 AM

Chuck pointers for JET mini...

Silvan wrote: I think I'm going to need a chuck before I need anything
else, and there's still time to get it added to Santa's list (clip)Money is
not abundant, and I'd prefer to avoid buying anything regretable this early
on
^^^^^^^^^^
You are going to get lots of good advice on what is the best chuck, but my
advice is to wait. You can turn chessmen without a chuck, with a faceplate
and a bottle of CA glue. After the lathe is bought, and the money is spent,
you will probably discover that you need additonal tools, and supplies, and
who-knows-what-else. And, if it really turns out that a chuck is important,
by then you will have more experience, and your decisions will be better
made. And even a chuck calls in additional expenses--they have various
sizes and styles of jaws, so there is no end to it.

George November 12th 03 11:52 AM

Chuck pointers for JET mini...

I hate to recommend "good enough" in tools, having bought (and cried) more
than once on a few occasions. While collet chucks look fairly inexpensive
compared to a scroll chuck, and absolutely adequate for the use you foresee
in the near future, they are, sadly, always a just a collet chuck. I'd grab
something like a Nova with a set of pin jaws. They'll accept dowels inside
and hold bowls outside. Other brands available too.

shopping.

Passerby November 12th 03 01:45 PM

Chuck pointers for JET mini...

Check the Grizzly catalog. They have great prices on Jacobs chucks. STAY
AWAY FROM "EXPANDABLE COLLET CHUCK"!!! It SUCKS BIG TIME!!!

Barry N. Turner November 13th 03 03:31 AM

Chuck pointers for JET mini...

You might want to take a look at a Nova Compac chuck. At a price of $80 at
Woodcraft, its not such a huge investment and it should do the type of work
you describe quite well. There is even a set of 20 mm (pin) jaws for it. I
have one and it works fine. Its the most chuck you can get for the money.

Barry