Junior Member

Default Warped Chess Board

I wasn't sure where to post this for help so I'll just throw it out there. I have an old "leather" chess board that's warped and would like to get some advise on how I might possibly straighten it?
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

suzyq4 wrote:
I wasn't sure where to post this for help so I'll just throw it out
there. I have an old "leather" chess board that's warped and would like
to get some advise on how I might possibly straighten it?

If it IS leather, you might dampen it, lay it on a piece of plywood
and put another piece of plywood on top with a little weight. Leave
it until dry. If it has a rim--like the top of a box--the top piece
of wood should fit inside the rim.

Or you could chuck it in your lathe and spin it around (grin). Trying
to stay on topic.

--
G.W. Ross

A gentleman is a man who can play the
accordian, but doesn't.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

suzyq4 wrote:
I wasn't sure where to post this for help so I'll

just throw it out
there. I have an old "leather" chess board that's

warped and would like
to get some advise on how I might possibly

straighten it?

If it IS leather, you might dampen it, lay it on a

piece of plywood
and put another piece of plywood on top with a little

weight. Leave
it until dry. If it has a rim--like the top of a

box--the top piece
of wood should fit inside the rim.

Or you could chuck it in your lathe and spin it

around (grin). Trying
to stay on topic.

Aye, Aye, Sir. Not sure she would have found it. Off topic in
woodworking also.

--
G.W. Ross

A gentleman is a man who can play the
accordian, but doesn't.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On 8/16/2012 2:32 PM, suzyq4 wrote:
I wasn't sure where to post this for help so I'll just throw it out
there. I have an old "leather" chess board that's warped and would like
to get some advise on how I might possibly straighten it?

I know he was chased off but... lay it on the lawn on a very sunny
day with the cupped side facing the ground. The sun will dry and
shrink the top side and the humidity from the ground will swell
the other side. Bring it inside when it's straight. I've done
this with great results on a number of boards. Stands to reason
that it would work with leather also.

Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzyq4 View Post
I wasn't sure where to post this for help so I'll just throw it out there. I have an old "leather" chess board that's warped and would like to get some advise on how I might possibly straighten it?
I would love to see how that looks. I've been collecting a few chess boards now and I haven't had any that's made of leather. Hope I can see the picture of it if possible. - yve

Last edited by yve lynch : December 5th 12 at 05:50 AM

Chess Board Chris Woodworking 4 October 23rd 08 02:12 PM
Warped board gary Woodworking 3 January 20th 07 04:05 AM
VENEERED CHESS BOARD J T Woodworking 0 March 11th 05 05:07 AM
PAY - CHESS BOARD KIT J T Woodworking 0 November 10th 04 04:43 AM
CHESS BOARD T. Woodworking 0 October 30th 03 06:37 AM