Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Bowl finish

How to finish turned bowl to use for food Maybe even hot soup?
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

I use Chestnut finishing oil, food safe, waterproof, and acid resistant. It
can be washed in warm soapy water but not sure if it's OK for hot soup.

Tom

"F Murtz" wrote in message
nd.com...

How to finish turned bowl to use for food Maybe even hot soup?

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

F Murtz wrote:
How to finish turned bowl to use for food Maybe even hot soup?

Is the WOOD food safe? You could always use mineral oil from the
drugstore. Not really a finish, but it is something. And safe to eat
out of, but not dishwasher safe.

--
G.W. Ross

I had my coat hangers spayed.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On 06/03/2012 05:53 AM, F Murtz wrote:
How to finish turned bowl to use for food Maybe even hot soup?

Behlen's Salad Bowl Finish, or General Finish's Salad Bowl Finish are
both fine - they're a polyurethane/oil mix I think. Several coats makes
a nice glossy finish. I like the General Finish's product better, YMMV.

I've also used shellac (not dewaxed) and it stood up to hot soup just
fine. I read of one guy that used it to coat/seal a homemade canoe.

In general I wouldn't recommend washing wood in hot soapy water or the
dishwasher. A wipe out with a damp cloth and a quick rinse & dry will
probably be better for the bowl's longevity...

....Kevin
--
Kevin Miller - http://www.alaska.net/~atftb
Juneau, Alaska