DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Vega duplicator (https://www.diybanter.com/woodturning/34093-re-vega-duplicator.html)

Bill Rubenstein August 23rd 03 04:32 AM

Vega duplicator

Blair:

I don't get it. If you are new to turning, why buy a duplicator? It is
a production machine for turning spindles. Are you going into
production? Do you have a lathe yet?

Regards,
Bill

In article ,
says...
Anybody have any experience with the Vega duplicator? I just ordered one
and hope I made a good choice as I am totally new to lathes. If anyone
knows, please respond soon so I can change my mind if they are no good.

Thanks,

Blair

Bob Pritchard August 23rd 03 01:08 PM

Vega duplicator

Blair, If your a new turner a duplicator is a total waste of money.
If you polled the group and asked for a list of tools needed for a new turner a
duplicator would not appear on anyones list.
If however you are a production turner and plan on turning hundreds of
duplicate spindles you may need one but I would suggest learning to duplicate
on your own using a story stick and measuring major and minor diameters. It's
all part of the learning curve.

Anybody have any experience with the Vega duplicator? I just ordered one
and hope I made a good choice as I am totally new to lathes.

Bob, Naugatuck Ct.
http://www.outofcontrol-woodturning.com

Blair August 25th 03 12:44 AM

Vega duplicator

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the input. I should have been a bit more clear. I need to make
about 90 spindles and being new to wood turning, not woodworking, I thought
a duplicator would be a wise investment. How long would it take to turn
this amount of spindles with calipers and story sticks? I have a 13 month
old baby girl at home that I want to spend some time with.

Once again, thanks for the input, any projects that you guys can pas on that
are good for learning, I am open to suggestions.

Blair