Junior Member

Question Woodturning Club Committee minutes

My woodturning club (must remain anonymous for fear of breaching policy/policies that may yet remain to be conjured up in the minds of the policy makers), refuses to publish let alone put on thje web the minutes of the committee meetings. A search on the web shows there are many clubs that allow members copies and post minutes on the web. Are you a member of a woodturning club? Does your club have any policies about this? I think it's ridiculous! The club is in merry old England,

Last edited by C Brown : April 21st 12 at 09:04 PM
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Woodturning Club Committee minutes

On 04/21/2012 10:59 AM, C Brown wrote:
My woodturning club (must remain anonymous for fear of breaching
policy/policies that may yet remain to be conjured up in the minds of
the policy makers), refuses to publish let alone put on thje web the
minutes of the committee meetings. A search on the web shows there are
many clubs that allow members copies and post minutes on the web. Are
you a member of a woodturning club? Does your club have any policies
about this? I think it's ridiculous! The club is in merry old England,

If club membership is free, I'd blow it off. If I was paying, I'd
probably quit. One should know where/how their money is being spent.
How are board members selected? By vote of the membership. Next
election I'd either run for office or get behind a candidate that has
your views.

....Kevin
--
Kevin Miller - http://www.alaska.net/~atftb
Juneau, Alaska
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Sat, 21 Apr 2012 18:59:22 +0000, C Brown
wrote:

My woodturning club (must remain anonymous for fear of breaching
policy/policies that may yet remain to be conjured up in the minds of
the policy makers), refuses to publish let alone put on thje web the
minutes of the committee meetings. A search on the web shows there are
many clubs that allow members copies and post minutes on the web. Are
you a member of a woodturning club? Does your club have any policies
about this? I think it's ridiculous! The club is in merry old England,

If a copy of the minutes is available for members to read why
worry.

I am no longer a club member since I moved, 170 km return trip, and
the minutes were available for members to read and placed on the
notice board before meetings.

My Cobra lathe is still packed away in the shed but the metal
lathes and mill are regularly in use.

Alan
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

In article ,
C Brown wrote:

My woodturning club (must remain anonymous for fear of breaching
policy/policies that may yet remain to be conjured up in the minds of
the policy makers), refuses to publish let alone put on thje web the
minutes of the committee meetings. A search on the web shows there are
many clubs that allow members copies and post minutes on the web. Are
you a member of a woodturning club? Does your club have any policies
about this? I think it's ridiculous! The club is in merry old England,

We don't publish the minutes of the officers meeting but the meetings
are open to any member of the club.
We also do publish a short balance sheet every couple of months, showing
the income, expenses and funds available.
Last year we got some whining about increasing the dues this year, then
I showed up with two wide-screen TVs , to replace the video projector
that died in November.

Personal e-mail is the n7bsn but at amsat.org
RV and Camping FAQ can be found at
http://www.ralphandellen.us/rv
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Sun, 22 Apr 2012 07:33:56 -0700, Ralph E Lindberg wrote:

We don't publish the minutes of the officers meeting but the meetings
are open to any member of the club.

Ditto.

Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Blanchard View Post
On Sun, 22 Apr 2012 07:33:56 -0700, Ralph E Lindberg wrote:

We don't publish the minutes of the officers meeting but the meetings
are open to any member of the club.

Ditto.

Thanks for all the replies thus far. The situation is this, the committee minutes are not published but decisions of the committee are posted on the door on club nights. I have asked for copies of the minutes only to be told that my request will be put forward to the next committee meeting! Members are not allowed to attend committee meetings, once again I have requested to attend to discuss certain matters only to be told that my request would be put forward to the next committee meeting. Ssshh! You don't know who's listening, or for the sailors, loose lips sink ships. I think our committeee members are old enough to remember all those. The situation is absurd.
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

-
We don't publish the minutes of the officers meeting but the meetings
are open to any member of the club.-

Ditto.

Thanks for all the replies thus far. The situation is this, the
committee minutes are not published but decisions of the committee are
posted on the door on club nights. I have asked for copies of the
minutes only to be told that my request will be put forward to the next
committee meeting! Members are not allowed to attend committee meetings,
once again I have requested to attend to discuss certain matters only to
be told that my request would be put forward to the next committee
meeting. Ssshh! You don't know who's listening, or for the sailors,
loose lips sink ships. I think our committeee members are old enough to
remember all those. The situation is absurd.

So... do those guys control the Treasury? The committee meetings for my club
are open to all... if someone wants copies of minutes than can have them.
This is true for all Chapters and SIGs in the organization.

John

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Sat, 21 Apr 2012 13:59:22 -0500, C Brown wrote
(in message ):

My woodturning club (must remain anonymous for fear of
breachingpolicy/policies that may yet remain to be conjured up in the minds
ofthe policy makers), refuses to publish let alone put on thje web
theminutes of the committee meetings. A search on the web shows there
aremany clubs that allow members copies and post minutes on the web. Areyou
a member of a woodturning club? Does your club have any policies about this?
I think it's ridiculous! The club is in merry old England,-- C Brown

Maybe it is an outlaw club and they do not want the authorities to know their
doings. Maybe they are working on secret turning techniques that must not
fall into the wrong hands. Maybe they are working on an alliance with
popsicle stick crafting clubs and do not want to expose the deal too soon.
Are you getting what you want from this club? Is there another club, less
secretive, within convenient distance? If there is no overarching reason for
this exclusive secrecy, t'heck with 'em.
tom koehler

--
I will find a way or make one.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On 4/24/2012 10:26 AM, tom koehler wrote:
[...]

perhaps the decision is, are you in the club for friendship and wood
turning or for the vast power that leading a hobby club brings? Who
cares what the minutes say, if you don't like what the club is doing,
just stop attending meetings
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

I wonder if the committee members are elderly and/or retired. There are
many people, and sadly that probabbly includes me, who were once
decision makers, etc, and are now trying desperately to retain some
modicum of self worth. Witness the number of retirees on boards, club
offices foundations, etc. They love making and strictly enforcing rules
and lots of 'em, especially Robert's rules of order.

Arch COC 1st. class, Woodturner, not so much anymore

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On 04/25/2012 10:42 AM, Arch M wrote:

I wonder if the committee members are elderly and/or retired. There are
many people, and sadly that probabbly includes me, who were once
decision makers, etc, and are now trying desperately to retain some
modicum of self worth. Witness the number of retirees on boards, club
offices foundations, etc. They love making and strictly enforcing rules
and lots of 'em, especially Robert's rules of order.

Arch COC 1st. class, Woodturner, not so much anymore

I never understood that. I remember way back in business management 101
in college that they made the point that sometimes the way to motivate
people is to give them fancier titles and more responsibility instead of
a raise. More responsibility? That's nuts. I don't want to work
more/harder. I want to go fishing!

Of course, those crazy folks that think like that are the ones that rise
to the top. No wonder our economy is in such a shambles. If we all
went fishing, or woodturning, we'd be a lot better off...

....Kevin
--
Kevin Miller
Juneau, Alaska
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Hi Chief,

I agree, but the trouble is that even going fishing can morph into the
stresses of business. Witness the big business of bass and sailfish
tournaments in Fla. and I reckon, the salmon fisheries in your neck of
the woods. I like Nova and wonder what's the difference between Nova
and Lox salmon? They both cost the same and too much here.

I never sold many turnings, but I hear it's not all fun, peaches and
cream for the woodturners that do. Does this post renew my COC license?
A.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On 04/29/2012 07:38 AM, Arch M wrote:
Hi Chief,

I agree, but the trouble is that even going fishing can morph into the
stresses of business. Witness the big business of bass and sailfish
tournaments in Fla. and I reckon, the salmon fisheries in your neck of
the woods. I like Nova and wonder what's the difference between Nova
and Lox salmon? They both cost the same and too much here.

I love going to the grocery store and seeing the prices on salmon, then
taking a couple salmon steaks out of the freezer that I caught myself.
Of course, they weren't free - had to buy bait. But I can live w/that. g

I never sold many turnings, but I hear it's not all fun, peaches and
cream for the woodturners that do. Does this post renew my COC license?
A.

Making a living would be work. Selling is fun when you don't *have* to.

No worries on your COC standing - you're grandfathered in!

.....Kevin