Default Midi lathe problem, continued

Scott
I would recommend trying another approach to chucking up blanks for bottle
stoppers. Do you have a scroll chuck? If not... it's pretty high on the
list of good things to have.. tho not essential IMO. A small scroll chuck
and a 3/8" cold steel rod which you can buy at the HW store. You cut the
rod... grind one side flat... grind the tip so it can bite... Then cut a
small nail to fit in the flat part... this is a pin chuck. Drill the blank
to fit the rod with the pin in place. Insert the blank rotate and then
press all the way in for some bite. Bring up the tail stock for roughing.
Andy
"Scott Zrubek" wrote in message
I was having a problem with my Delta midi lathe and the screw chuck from
PSI for turning bottle stoppers.

I put the lathe in for service and they replaced the head and tail
stocks. No improvement in the performance. The chuck still wobbles all
over the place.

I'm now working with PSI to get a new chuck. Hopefully, that will
correct the problem.

--
Scott Zrubek
Mana from Heaven, a book of Roger Zelazny short stories, Coming Soon

Scott Zrubek

In article ,
wrote:

Scott
I would recommend trying another approach to chucking up blanks for bottle
stoppers. Do you have a scroll chuck? If not... it's pretty high on the
list of good things to have.. tho not essential IMO. A small scroll chuck
and a 3/8" cold steel rod which you can buy at the HW store. You cut the
rod... grind one side flat... grind the tip so it can bite... Then cut a
small nail to fit in the flat part... this is a pin chuck. Drill the blank
to fit the rod with the pin in place. Insert the blank rotate and then
press all the way in for some bite. Bring up the tail stock for roughing.
Andy

Thanks for the suggestion. We're just getting started with our own
lathe (been using the local high school's for a couple of years), and
this is the first item for which a chuck has been necessary.

"Scott Zrubek" wrote in message
I was having a problem with my Delta midi lathe and the screw chuck from
PSI for turning bottle stoppers.

I put the lathe in for service and they replaced the head and tail
stocks. No improvement in the performance. The chuck still wobbles all
over the place.

I'm now working with PSI to get a new chuck. Hopefully, that will
correct the problem.

--
Scott Zrubek
Mana from Heaven, a book of Roger Zelazny short stories, Coming Soon
Zelazny & Amber: http://www.roger-zelazny.com

--
Scott Zrubek
It's all Isildur's fault I *had* to read those four books!
Zelazny & Amber: http://www.roger-zelazny.com