Ruth

Default Curved Tool Rests

I'm sure this subject has discussed here before and if I searched the
archives, I'd find my answer. However, since things are sort of quiet
here right now, I'll just ask opinions on curved tool rests.

Which one do you have, do you like it and why or why not?

I was always going to get one but .......... well, just never did.

Thanks,
Ruth

Woodturners Logo
My shop and Turnings at
http://www.torne-lignum.com

Larry

Ruth,

I've got several but the one's I like best (by far) are the Delta
curved rests that Packard sells. I've got both the inside & outside
curves and use them both extensively. The Deltas are very heavy cast
and the edge can be positioned right up to the surface you are turning
and there is still room for an "anchored grip".

Larry
George

I too have the Craft Supplies French curve iron rest, and use it often. The
one disadvantage I find is the second attachment point is often in the way
when I want to snug up to the inside of a bowl. Shorter tool overhangs make
for surer work.

"Ruth" wrote in message

I'm sure this subject has discussed here before and if I searched the
archives, I'd find my answer. However, since things are sort of quiet
here right now, I'll just ask opinions on curved tool rests.

Which one do you have, do you like it and why or why not?

Travis Mahone

Hi Ruth
I bought the cast iron curved rest from Craft Supplies and I use it on just
about every bowl I turn. It allows me to position the rest much closer to
the inside of the bowl than a standard straight rest. This is very helpful
when working with both gouges and scrapers.
Travis

"Ruth" wrote in message

I'm sure this subject has discussed here before and if I searched the
archives, I'd find my answer. However, since things are sort of quiet
here right now, I'll just ask opinions on curved tool rests.

Which one do you have, do you like it and why or why not?

I was always going to get one but .......... well, just never did.

Thanks,
Ruth

Woodturners Logo
My shop and Turnings at
http://www.torne-lignum.com

Mike Vore

I have the curved "bowl" toolrest from Woodcraft and don't use it
much. I find that the 'hub' in the center to be quite annoying and in
the way when I'm trying to get a good curved 'final' cut. It is handy
when trying to get to the bottom of a bowl with very little
tool-overhang but not when trying to do one last final continuous cut.
Maybe I haven't learned how to use it properly.

mike

On Mon, 7 Jul 2003 01:07:22 -0700, Leif Thorvaldson wrote:
Hi, Ruth! I bought and ogee(?) "s"-shaped tool rest for my Sears "Classic"
Monotube. I have found it very handy upon occasion, but don't use it very
often.

--
Michael Vore, W3CCV M-ASA [Ka8]; WHIRL, ABC; CAW, CW, AAW
http://mike.vorefamily.net/ohmywoodness -Custom Woodworking

Rusty Myers

I have one from Best Wood Tools. The make several overhang lengths, plus
and adjustable one. I will admit that I seldom use it. The only time I
find it useful is on very grabby woods like green oak and when using a
scrapper. For bowl gouges I find that the tool position is less comfortable
and doesn't buy me any real advantage.

--
Rusty Myers
Austin, TX

"Ruth" wrote in message

I'm sure this subject has discussed here before and if I searched the
archives, I'd find my answer. However, since things are sort of quiet
here right now, I'll just ask opinions on curved tool rests.

Which one do you have, do you like it and why or why not?

I was always going to get one but .......... well, just never did.

Thanks,
Ruth

Woodturners Logo
My shop and Turnings at
http://www.torne-lignum.com

Tony Manella

Hi Ruth,
I have two, a smaller one from Woodcraft and a larger one from Best Wood
Tools. Like Mike said, the hub in the middle of the woodcraft one is a pain
at times. I do like the other much better and use it on all of the bigger
bowls I make.
Tony Manella
http://home.ptd.net/~ndd1/
Lehigh Valley Woodturners
http://www.lehighvalleywoodturners.org/

"Ruth" wrote in message

I'm sure this subject has discussed here before and if I searched the
archives, I'd find my answer. However, since things are sort of quiet
here right now, I'll just ask opinions on curved tool rests.

Which one do you have, do you like it and why or why not?

I was always going to get one but .......... well, just never did.

Thanks,
Ruth

Woodturners Logo
My shop and Turnings at
http://www.torne-lignum.com

Ruth

...."I've got several but the one's I like best (by far) are the Delta
curved rests that Packard sells. I've got both the inside & outside
curves and use them both extensively."
**************************
Larry, do you have a Oneway? Several turners have said they are real
good and I was wondering how they might compare to the Delta besides
being more expensive. : )

Ruth

Woodturners Logo
My shop and Turnings at
http://www.torne-lignum.com

Kevin

I'll chime in a bit here but keep in mind that I am a bit biased in my
answers as we make curved toolrests. If you do a lot of bowls you
should not be without a curved toolrest, especially an external rest.
It is the only way to safely turn the outside of a bowl from foot to
rim in one pass and doing it in one shot is the easiest way to get a
good curve. As you get to be a better turner they become more and more
useful. When you are doing the inside of a bowl you rarely can turn
from rim to bottom because of vibration issues but inside they are
much safer and give much better tool control.
regards
Kevin Clay
Oneway Manufacturing

Which one do you have, do you like it and why or why not?

I was always going to get one but .......... well, just never did.

Thanks,
Ruth

Woodturners Logo
My shop and Turnings at
http://www.torne-lignum.com

Kevin

I heard a really good comment about curved toolrests from Dave
Lancaster at the Pasadena AAW symposium. A spindle turner would never
use a curved toolrest so why should a bowl turner use a straight one?

I'm sure this subject has discussed here before and if I searched the
archives, I'd find my answer. However, since things are sort of quiet
here right now, I'll just ask opinions on curved tool rests.

Which one do you have, do you like it and why or why not?

I was always going to get one but .......... well, just never did.

Thanks,
Ruth

Woodturners Logo
My shop and Turnings at
http://www.torne-lignum.com

Bill Day

On Sun, 6 Jul 2003 22:33:47 -0400 (EDT), (Ruth) wrote:

I'm sure this subject has discussed here before and if I searched the
archives, I'd find my answer. However, since things are sort of quiet
here right now, I'll just ask opinions on curved tool rests.

Which one do you have, do you like it and why or why not?

I was always going to get one but .......... well, just never did.

Thanks,
Ruth

Woodturners Logo
My shop and Turnings at
http://www.torne-lignum.com
I got the Delta rest from Packard also....I fretted that I was gonna be
sorry, but now I can't imagine how I coped all those years with only
straight ones...it just makes life SO much easier in some situations...
George

Unless you got one of those Oneway steadies from the family. It, a curved
rest for minimum overhang and a light touch seem all that's required.

I know it's not in your best interests, but is there a chance you'll market
the spindle steady for the same post? Your rests are better than any of my
jury rigs.

m...