DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   ebony cracking (https://www.diybanter.com/woodturning/33830-ebony-cracking.html)

John O'Toole July 7th 03 12:43 AM

ebony cracking

Hi all,
Recently started using ebony as inlays in small turned boxes. Problem
is that they develop radial cracks in the process. Any advice to
prevent this would be appreciated.
Thanks,
John

Steve Worcester July 7th 03 01:03 AM

ebony cracking

Ebony is very difficult to season. Here is what I do.... I buy it, usually
in a very far away local with different climatic conditions, take it home
and set it inside on a shelf. After about a year, I will take it out into
the shop and let it sit for awhile. Then I turn it to rough shape, where I
will leave it for a week or so. Sometimes it will crack from here, sometimes
not. It is a very fickled wood.

--
Steve Worcester
www.turningwood.com

om...

Will Simpson July 7th 03 03:30 AM

ebony cracking

Also various types of ebony is susceptible to heat checking when sanding. I
like to use wax when sanding as it keeps the heat down and also keeps the
dust down. I agree with Steve that ebony require a lot of care while drying.

Will
www.kestrelcreek.com
Exploring the spiritual potential of art made of wood

Bill Rubenstein July 7th 03 03:33 AM

ebony cracking

John:

Ebony can be difficult. If you are using a friction polish or any
finishing method which generates heat, that could make the problem
worse. Heat from aggressive sanding may also contribute to the problem.

Bill

In article ,
says...

Bill Day July 7th 03 04:34 PM

ebony cracking

On 6 Jul 2003 16:43:43 -0700, (John O'Toole) wrote:

Hi all,
Recently started using ebony as inlays in small turned boxes. Problem
is that they develop radial cracks in the process. Any advice to
prevent this would be appreciated.
Thanks,
John

one way is not to use Ebony (usually Diospyros melanoxylon) ...but to
track down some African Blackwood..(Dalbergia melanoxylon) which is what
clarinets is made from...the right pieces are just as black as Ebony and
MUCH more stable. Yeah, *wry grin*...I know, you already have this
Ebony...I do too...and I keep using my Ebony for small projects and
sometimes it is fine if I take it slowly...but I bought some Blackwood
locally, and I am going to go see if they have more....

good luck!

dalecue July 9th 03 04:29 AM

ebony cracking

Bill Day wrote in message ...
On 6 Jul 2003 16:43:43 -0700, (John O'Toole) wrote:

Hi all,
Recently started using ebony as inlays in small turned boxes. Problem
is that they develop radial cracks in the process. Any advice to
prevent this would be appreciated.
Thanks,
John

one way is not to use Ebony (usually Diospyros melanoxylon) ...but to
track down some African Blackwood..(Dalbergia melanoxylon) which is what
clarinets is made from...the right pieces are just as black as Ebony and
MUCH more stable. Yeah, *wry grin*...I know, you already have this
Ebony...I do too...and I keep using my Ebony for small projects and
sometimes it is fine if I take it slowly...but I bought some Blackwood
locally, and I am going to go see if they have more....

I second the motion for African Blackwood
only ever turned one piece - but it cut like Indian Rosewood and was
black as coal - quite pricey tho, - got mine from Exotic Woods in NJ
not the place for bargins

would you be willing to share your source of Blackwood?

Dale

good luck!

John O'Toole July 10th 03 04:54 PM

ebony cracking

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ (John O'Toole) wrote in message . com...
Hi all,
Recently started using ebony as inlays in small turned boxes. Problem
is that they develop radial cracks in the process. Any advice to
prevent this would be appreciated.
Thanks,
John

Hi all again,
Thanks for all your help. What I found that helps is to make the inlay
the desired diameter and then saw it off with a fine toothed saw
instead of using the parting tool. No matter how slow I went with the
parting tool it always generated too much heat which then caused the
cracking.
John

Bill Day July 10th 03 09:21 PM

ebony cracking

On Wed, 09 Jul 2003 03:29:16 GMT, "dalecue"
wrote:

for African Blackwood
only ever turned one piece - but it cut like Indian Rosewood and was
black as coal - quite pricey tho, - got mine from Exotic Woods in NJ
not the place for bargins

would you be willing to share your source of Blackwood?

Dale

I haven't talked to them in over a year, but I will see if I can find
their address etc...(I have 'sorted ' things since then,,,*grin*)