Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Any tps on turning Shedua?

Bought some Shedua from Cook Woods and I'm having a hard time turning this
stuff. Trying to make a 5" deep pencil cup. Spindle turning and hollowing
end grain.

Sharpened my tools and had at it. On the sides of the piece, I'm getting
chipping, even trying to use the skew. Tried hollowing with various scrapers
and no matter how lightly I tried, I'd get some hard catches. Seems like
this wood is very hard and dry.

Anyone worked this before?

Don't need any more expensive firewood.

Thanx,

Vic

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On 2/4/2012 12:23 PM, Vic Baron wrote:
Bought some Shedua from Cook Woods and I'm having a hard time turning
this stuff. Trying to make a 5" deep pencil cup. Spindle turning and
hollowing end grain.

Sharpened my tools and had at it. On the sides of the piece, I'm getting
chipping, even trying to use the skew. Tried hollowing with various
scrapers and no matter how lightly I tried, I'd get some hard catches.
Seems like this wood is very hard and dry.

Anyone worked this before?

Don't need any more expensive firewood.

Thanx,

Vic

I really don't like using scrapers, it seems much harder than using a
bowl gouge - Soren Berger makes a special tool for hollowing boxes, but
for one box/cup, try a 1/2 inch bowl gouge with very swept back wings -
once you get a basic shape inside, hollow "backwards" (from bottom to
top, with the handle of the tool on the far side of the lathe) with a
light cut - you shouldn't get chips - it is something about your tool
presentation or sharpness, particularly if you get catches. You can use
the gouge for the outside too - keep it really sharp

Pen turning mtjones Woodturning 5 February 28th 09 01:54 AM
How to pronounce Shedua Utile, and Chechen? Toller Woodworking 4 February 20th 06 02:58 PM
cpu fan is turning , but the BIOS display that it is not turning ( MSI motherboard) computer Electronics Repair 3 December 23rd 05 10:38 PM
pen turning Big John Woodturning 2 October 9th 05 03:55 AM
What is turning? Mark Hancock Woodturning 19 May 5th 05 03:38 AM