Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Tree Ornaments

I had a magazine or something describing how to make a hollow tree
ornament. It involved using four square pieces glued together near
the ends to make a square blank. After some turning the glued ends
were cut off, the pieces rotated 180 degrees, glued together and the
outside turned.

I can't find the article now that I want it. Any clues where I could
find this article?
--
Gerald Ross

I'm so poor I can't even pay attention.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On 01/13/2012 01:03 PM, Gerald Ross wrote:
I had a magazine or something describing how to make a hollow tree
ornament. It involved using four square pieces glued together near the
ends to make a square blank. After some turning the glued ends were cut
off, the pieces rotated 180 degrees, glued together and the outside turned.

I can't find the article now that I want it. Any clues where I could
find this article?

Google "inside out turning" - you'll get lots of hits, probably one the
article you're thinking of, or at least a similar one...

--
Kevin Miller
Juneau, Alaska
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Gerald Ross wrote:

I had a magazine or something describing how to make a hollow tree
ornament. It involved using four square pieces glued together near
the ends to make a square blank. After some turning the glued ends
were cut off, the pieces rotated 180 degrees, glued together and the
outside turned.

I can't find the article now that I want it. Any clues where I could
find this article?

Gerald, the process is really very simple. Take four equal sized square
blanks, form them into a square, number each piece and mark the inside edges
(where they meet), glue them together using a "paper joint" (yellow glue on
the mating surfaces and a peice of brown paper inbetween -the joint cleaves
along the paper when you want to separate them) and mount between centers.
Turn and finish a concave form. Remove from the lathe, cleave the pieces,
rotate the pieces 180degrees and glue the four pieces together with yellow
glue (this time is for keeps, so no paper) and finish turning to your
desired form.

BTW, you can also wrap the pieces in masking take or duct tape, instead of
using the paper joint. Its just that the paper joint holds better and since
you are going to turn the surface where the paper was when you rotate and
reglue, it isn't a problem.

Deb
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

In article
Gerald Ross writes:
I had a magazine or something describing how to make a hollow tree
ornament. It involved using four square pieces glued together near
the ends to make a square blank. After some turning the glued ends
were cut off, the pieces rotated 180 degrees, glued together and the
outside turned.

I can't find the article now that I want it. Any clues where I could
find this article?

If you can go for 6 pieces or wood, and taped together rather than
glued, there was an article:
Six-Window Ornament, David Reed Smith
Woodturning Design
December 2011, Issue #34

--
Drew Lawson | Radioactive cats have
| 18 half-lives

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Gerald Ross wrote:
I had a magazine or something describing how to make a hollow tree
ornament. It involved using four square pieces glued together near
the ends to make a square blank. After some turning the glued ends
were cut off, the pieces rotated 180 degrees, glued together and the
outside turned.

I can't find the article now that I want it. Any clues where I could
find this article?

Thanks for the pointers. Kevin gets the gold star. In searching,
the right terms are important. Found it.

I've got a feeling that with more than two steps I'm gonna botch it
up. I sold a pile of regular ornaments last December and wanted
something different to try.

--
Gerald Ross

I yam wot I yam, and that's all that I
yam - Popeye

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Jan 13, 2:03*pm, Gerald Ross wrote:
I had a magazine or something describing how to make a hollow tree
ornament. *It involved using four square pieces glued together near
the ends to make a square blank. *After some turning the glued ends
were cut off, the pieces rotated 180 degrees, glued together and the
outside turned.

I can't find the article now that I want it. *Any clues where I could
find this article?
--
Gerald Ross

I'm so poor I can't even pay attention.

Hello Gerald,

There are probably many articles on inside out turning for Christmas
Ornaments. More Woodturning magazine published articles on the subject
in the September 2001 issue and the November 2001 issue. I don't think
any of those articles were written by me, but if you have old issues
of More Woodturning, those are the issues to look in.

Fred Holder
http://www.morewoodturning.net
Junior Member

I just necessary some details and was searching on Google for it. I visited every single page that came on very first page and didn't got any relevant result then I thought to take a look at the second one particular and got your weblog. This really is what I wanted!

Christmas Tree Ornaments WConner Woodworking 5 October 30th 06 06:22 PM
Making concrete/cement garden ornaments Andy Evans UK diy 24 May 7th 06 11:06 PM
Neck Ornaments Stuart UK diy 4 February 28th 04 05:19 PM
Creating very light hollow metal ornaments Marin Metalworking 4 January 23rd 04 02:41 AM
Charley Self's Xmas Ornaments Bob Schmall Woodworking 5 December 6th 03 10:00 PM