Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Sigh!

Well, as a novice turner, I've made other discoveries.

As a "regular" wooddorker, I always had a bin or two of cutoffs lying
around.

I have now traded them for bins of little round nubs. Cute little things but
I can't even use them under a table leg like the square cutoffs.

I also find I need to empty my dust collector and shop vac MUCH more
frequently.

When a revolving piece of wood flies off the lathe, it can be both
spectacular and scary.

Stabbing yourself with sharp tools is both stupid and painful.

It is amazing how much a round piece of wet wood will morph as it dries.

There are good reasons to stress to beginners to "ride the bevel".

Other than that, Still having fun.

Vic

--
There are 10 kinds of people - those who understand binary and those who
don't

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Tue, 3 Jan 2012 14:00:08 -0600, Vic Baron wrote
(in message ):

Well, as a novice turner, I've made other discoveries.

this is key to any new pursuit

As a "regular" wooddorker, I always had a bin or two of cutoffs lying
around.

I am assuming this is like one of my typos - unless wooddorker is kinda like
computer nerd. Either way, it works, with a smile.

I have now traded them for bins of little round nubs. Cute little things but
I can't even use them under a table leg like the square cutoffs.

throw them at the cat or backyard squirrels, or use them as kindling in your
wood stove. You do not need a cat, but you do need a wood stove. It is better
to have both, though, and not throw those round nubs. Just use them in the
stove.

I also find I need to empty my dust collector and shop vac MUCH more
frequently.

if the shavings are clean, save them for the compost bin, or use them as
mulch. My dear wife, SWMBO (she who must be obeyed). is the Queen of Compost
and Mulch, and I get extra husband points for my shavings.

When a revolving piece of wood flies off the lathe, it can be both
spectacular and scary.

Stabbing yourself with sharp tools is both stupid and painful.

makes a nice clean cut, though, and if you grab it quickly enough you seldom
get much blood on the project. Direct pressure for a few minutes and then a
nice absorbent bandage usually does the trick. Maybe a couple of butterfly
strips across the cut to help it stay shut.

It is amazing how much a round piece of wet wood will morph as it dries.

as in the computer industry, that is not a flaw, it is a feature

There are good reasons to stress to beginners to "ride the bevel".

Other than that, Still having fun.

That is the key, the essence, the spirit, the main reason many of us pursue
this.

Welcome to the fray.
tom koehler

Vic

--
I will find a way or make one.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On 1/3/2012 12:00 PM, Vic Baron wrote:
Well, as a novice turner, I've made other discoveries.

As a "regular" wooddorker, I always had a bin or two of cutoffs lying
around.

I have now traded them for bins of little round nubs. Cute little things
but I can't even use them under a table leg like the square cutoffs.

I also find I need to empty my dust collector and shop vac MUCH more
frequently.

When a revolving piece of wood flies off the lathe, it can be both
spectacular and scary.

Stabbing yourself with sharp tools is both stupid and painful.

It is amazing how much a round piece of wet wood will morph as it dries.

There are good reasons to stress to beginners to "ride the bevel".

Other than that, Still having fun.

Vic

turn those little nubs into knobs and finials

*sigh* L. Credit Where Due T. Home Repair 0 June 2nd 07 06:11 PM
Sometimes it takes longer..sigh Gunner Asch Metalworking 20 December 31st 05 11:31 PM
Loop-in Lighting (sigh) WRabbit UK diy 6 August 1st 05 08:36 PM
sigh... RoyJ Metalworking 16 February 26th 05 03:20 AM
Sigh John Rumm UK diy 46 December 14th 04 07:09 PM