Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Gouge question

Not sure how to explain this question -

saw a couple of YouTube videos and noticed that one person was using the
spindle gouge differently than I'd seen before.

I've seen the pulling cut on end grain where you insert the gouge and turn
the face to the 10 o'clock position and pull towards you.

This guy was sort of doing that on the cylinder - he would go from right to
left "normally" - with the gouge riding the bevel and the point of the gouge
pointing in the direction of the cut. Then when he reached the left end, he
just rotated the face 180 degrees and with the gouge still pointing to the
left, pulled back to the right and continued the cut.

Is this a normal technique, advanced, unusual, etc.

Seems to me that for a newbie like me who keeps rapping his knuckles on the
chuck that learning this technique might prove useful.

Just bothers me that it appears that he is not riding the bevel at all.

FWIW, from what I could see it appears that the wings of the gouge were
ground back a bit.

Maybe I've missed something.

Thanx,

Vic
--
There are 10 kinds of people - those who understand binary and those who
don't

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

In article ,
"Vic Baron" wrote:

[...]

Vic, how about a link to the video, if I could see what he is doing, I
might be able to help you.
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"Dan Kozar" wrote in message
In article ,
"Vic Baron" wrote:

[...]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrpnP2G0vLM&feature=fvsr

it looks like the gouge is pointed to 10 oclock and he's pulling from left
to right - looks like it works fine but I'm curious.

thanx!

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

In article ,
"Vic Baron" wrote:

"Dan Kozar" wrote in message
In article ,
"Vic Baron" wrote:

[...]

I'm curious also, it sort of looks like he is using the gouge as a
scraper.
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On 11/02/2011 12:24 PM, Vic Baron wrote:

Not sure how to explain this question -

saw a couple of YouTube videos and noticed that one person was using the
spindle gouge differently than I'd seen before.

I've seen the pulling cut on end grain where you insert the gouge and
turn the face to the 10 o'clock position and pull towards you.

This guy was sort of doing that on the cylinder - he would go from right
to left "normally" - with the gouge riding the bevel and the point of
the gouge pointing in the direction of the cut. Then when he reached the
left end, he just rotated the face 180 degrees and with the gouge still
pointing to the left, pulled back to the right and continued the cut.

Is this a normal technique, advanced, unusual, etc.

Pretty normal. Not particularly advanced, but maybe not something a
newcomer would try intuitively. If you're cutting well at a particular
point on the wood it doesn't really matter if you're moving left or
right. At least when you're 'leveling' the wood. Normally you want to
cut 'downhill' which, when spindle turning, means large diameter to smaller.

Seems to me that for a newbie like me who keeps rapping his knuckles on
the chuck that learning this technique might prove useful.

It's quite useful. Grab some scrap wood and start experimenting. Get
the wood round, then just try duplicating what he was doing. I've no
doubt you'll have one of those 'ah-ha' moments in short order.

Just bothers me that it appears that he is not riding the bevel at all.

Actually he is. But you have to remember that the bevel isn't just on
the tip of the gouge. It's also on the side so if he has his gouge
pointed in one direction or the other he's just riding the bevel on the
wing rather than the tip.

FWIW, from what I could see it appears that the wings of the gouge were
ground back a bit.

Yup. It's called a fingernail grind. Having the wings ground back is a
great way not to get catches! g

Maybe I've missed something.

Probably. There's a lot going on that isn't immediately obviously when
one is turning. But as you try different things, you'll pick up on them...

....Kevin
--
Kevin Miller - http://www.alaska.net/~atftb
Juneau, Alaska

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"Kevin Miller" wrote in message
[...]

AH! Now it makes sense. Great explanation, Kevin - thanx. I can visualize
the bevel now. Have to give that a try

Vic

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Wed, 2 Nov 2011 13:24:13 -0700, "Vic Baron"
wrote:

Sounds to me like a pretty standard cut, one I learned from Bill
Grumbine's video..
As Kevin said, If a cut works in one direction, it usually will work
in the opther..

Gas Gouge CaveLamb Metalworking 17 February 20th 11 01:04 PM
How to fix a gouge in a table top? busbus Woodworking 14 December 4th 10 12:44 AM
roughing gouge question Norbert Woodturning 11 March 5th 06 09:05 PM
A question about gouge profiles Kevin Woodturning 5 November 4th 05 07:40 PM
My Next Gouge George Woodturning 2 April 29th 05 06:58 PM