Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default how to add some color to a bowl?

I just made a bowl from bloodwood and maple. I took a piece of maple and glued it to the block of bloodwood and then turned it, giving the bowl a maple lip.

While this worked fine and Maple is (relatively) cheap, to do it with more expensive woods seems like a waste. For example I have a lot of black cherry from a tree I felled and thought it would be nice to make a bowl with a black or dark brown lip, like walnut or ebony. But I can't see taking a piece of ebony and basically wasting 90% of it.

So, my thought was how could I cut a groove around the outside and fill it with a nice contrasting color to jazz it up a bit? Does anybody have a technique for this?

Jim
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

In article
32423588.220.1319636828778.JavaMail.geo-discussion-forums@vbza28,
jtpryan wrote:

I just made a bowl from bloodwood and maple. I took a piece of maple and
glued it to the block of bloodwood and then turned it, giving the bowl a
maple lip.

While this worked fine and Maple is (relatively) cheap, to do it with more
expensive woods seems like a waste. For example I have a lot of black cherry
from a tree I felled and thought it would be nice to make a bowl with a black
or dark brown lip, like walnut or ebony. But I can't see taking a piece of
ebony and basically wasting 90% of it.

So, my thought was how could I cut a groove around the outside and fill it
with a nice contrasting color to jazz it up a bit? Does anybody have a
technique for this?

Jim

Are you asking about filling the groove with a compound. Oh yes. Craft
Supplies, WoodCraft, Rockler, Packard Supply all have stuff you can mix
and put into the groove.

Look at
https://picasaweb.google.com/1112170...ing#5667198160
746265730

You will not the colored bands top and bottom. There are wood epoxy
mixed with a powdered color I bought from Craft Supplies.

Also, for things like a alternate colored ring, look into segmented
turning (that's what this photo is). You could make up a ring of Ebony
and glue it to the main bowl blank.

Personal e-mail is the n7bsn but at amsat.org
RV and Camping FAQ can be found at
http://www.ralphandellen.us/rv
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Thanks. Nice work by the way.

So, with the segmented thing. Let me see if I understand the process I could use.

Cut the blank in a circle on the band saw
Mount it to a face plate and turn the outside and a tenon or recess in the bottom
Make the "segments" out of the expensive stuff
Glue them to each other and the top of the blank
Mount the blank to the chuck and then hollow it out and finish the edge.

Does that sound right?

_Jim
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Forgot to ask. The picture you posted, the epoxy and powdered color was put into a groove you cut?

-Jim
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On 10/26/2011 07:08 AM, jtpryan wrote:
Thanks. Nice work by the way.

So, with the segmented thing. Let me see if I understand the process I could use.

Cut the blank in a circle on the band saw
Mount it to a face plate and turn the outside and a tenon or recess in the bottom
Make the "segments" out of the expensive stuff
Glue them to each other and the top of the blank
Mount the blank to the chuck and then hollow it out and finish the edge.

Does that sound right?

See http://www.turnedwood.com/ - Kevin Neeley has some great examples of
segmented turning, as well as great pictorial tutorials on making them
(see http://www.turnedwood.com/FrameMiterBowl.html for instance).

Basic segmented vessels are pretty straight forward once you see the
process...

....Kevin
--
Kevin Miller
Juneau, Alaska

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

jtpryan wrote:
I just made a bowl from bloodwood and maple. I took a piece of maple and glued it to the block of bloodwood and then turned it, giving the bowl a maple lip.

While this worked fine and Maple is (relatively) cheap, to do it with more expensive woods seems like a waste. For example I have a lot of black cherry from a tree I felled and thought it would be nice to make a bowl with a black or dark brown lip, like walnut or ebony. But I can't see taking a piece of ebony and basically wasting 90% of it.

So, my thought was how could I cut a groove around the outside and fill it with a nice contrasting color to jazz it up a bit? Does anybody have a technique for this?

Jim

I have some stuff (inlace?) that comes in a kit with colored granules,
and two liquids that you mix all together and smear into the groove.
Not much luck with it. One bowl was brought back with a large chunk
of the inlay which had fallen out.

My usual filler for voids and knot holes is 5 min. epoxy with a drop
of liquid black dye and mixed with turquoise chips and pieces of
brass. It sands out looking good and I have never had any to fall out.

If you do either of these in a groove it would be a good idea to make
the groove wider at the bottom to discourage a piece popping out.

--
Gerald Ross

Ask me about my vow of silence.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

If you use inlace it is recommended that you undercut the edge of the
groove, i.e make it like a dovetail to hold the lincae in the groove.

Also look up Stephen Hatcher for a mineral inlay technique.
"Gerald Ross" wrote in message
jtpryan wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"jtpryan" wrote in message
I just made a bowl from bloodwood and maple. I took a piece of maple and glued it to
the block of bloodwood and then turned it, giving the bowl a maple lip.

While this worked fine and Maple is (relatively) cheap, to do it with more expensive
woods seems like a waste. For example I have a lot of black cherry from a tree I
felled and thought it would be nice to make a bowl with a black or dark brown lip,
like walnut or ebony. But I can't see taking a piece of ebony and basically wasting
90% of it.

So, my thought was how could I cut a groove around the outside and fill it with a
nice contrasting color to jazz it up a bit? Does anybody have a technique for this?

Jim

==============================

I'm new to turning, altho I've been doing woodworking for over 40 years,
and have never tried this but think it should work. Carve put a groove on the
outside of your bowl and add some inlay banding. Normally the groove is
routed out on flat surfaces. The banding is quite thin, ~1/20", and should bend
easily around a bowl as long as the diameter isn't real small.

Inlay stringing could be added anywhere on the bowl as it will bend in all
directions.

This site sells both type of inlays. http://www.inlaybanding.com/stringing.html
Art

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

In article
13327606.2310.1319641846244.JavaMail.geo-discussion-forums@yqoo7,
jtpryan wrote:

Forgot to ask. The picture you posted, the epoxy and powdered color was put
into a groove you cut?

Basically yes

Personal e-mail is the n7bsn but at amsat.org
RV and Camping FAQ can be found at
http://www.ralphandellen.us/rv
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

In article ions,
Kevin Miller wrote:

See http://www.turnedwood.com/ - Kevin Neeley has some great examples of
segmented turning, as well as great pictorial tutorials on making them
(see http://www.turnedwood.com/FrameMiterBowl.html for instance).

Basic segmented vessels are pretty straight forward once you see the
process...

...Kevin

Time consuming but lots of fun, and doesn't waste nearly as much really
costly wood

Personal e-mail is the n7bsn but at amsat.org
RV and Camping FAQ can be found at
http://www.ralphandellen.us/rv

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

So I went to WoodCraft last night to pick up some epoxy and dye. The fellow there wasn't sure which, if any,of the dyes they had was "compatible" with epoxy. How do I tell? Does anybody and a brand name of each that work together and where they got them?

-Jim

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

jtpryan wrote:
So I went to WoodCraft last night to pick up some epoxy and dye. The fellow there wasn't sure which, if any,of the dyes they had was "compatible" with epoxy. How do I tell? Does anybody and a brand name of each that work together and where they got them?

-Jim

I use TransTint liquid available from many woodworking supply houses.
Probably not in a local store.

http://www.woodcraft.com/Search2/Sea...ery=dye&page=2