Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default waxed blanks

Another newb question - just picked up some wood blanks to practice on -
they are sealed in wax.

should I remove the wax first or will the turning process handle that.

If I have to remove it, what is the best way? It doesn't look like it would
peel off.

Thanx,

Vic

--
There are 10 kinds of people - those who understand binary and those who
don't

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On 10/7/2011 8:37 PM, Vic Baron wrote:
Another newb question - just picked up some wood blanks to practice on -
they are sealed in wax.

should I remove the wax first or will the turning process handle that.

If I have to remove it, what is the best way? It doesn't look like it
would peel off.

Thanx,

Vic

just mount the blanks on your faceplate and turn, ignore the wax, the
first cuts will remove it. it is there to slow the drying so the wood
doesn't split

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Turn away.. good gouge edge lubricant..