Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Olive wood

I was given a piece of olive wood 4 inches square by 8 inches. I made a
money bgox with a threaded inner lid with coin slot and threaded outer lid
with finial.
The grain matched up nice and it polished up well. However I had to bin it
as unfit for purpose.

Can anyone guess why?

Tom.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

In article ,
"Tom" wrote:

I was given a piece of olive wood 4 inches square by 8 inches. I made a
money bgox with a threaded inner lid with coin slot and threaded outer lid
with finial.
The grain matched up nice and it polished up well. However I had to bin it
as unfit for purpose.

Can anyone guess why?

Tom.

If I had the slightest idea what "bin it" meant

The wood was not dry and moved?

Personal e-mail is the n7bsn but at amsat.org
RV and Camping FAQ can be found at
http://www.ralphandellen.us/rv
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

In article ,
"Tom" wrote:

I was given a piece of olive wood 4 inches square by 8 inches. I made a
money bgox with a threaded inner lid with coin slot and threaded outer lid
with finial.
The grain matched up nice and it polished up well. However I had to bin it
as unfit for purpose.

Can anyone guess why?

Tom.

Too oily, or tarnishes the coins (acidic). If the latter, a lining might
help, if the binning is metaphorical rather than a done deal.

I do recall olive wood implements (which went into style at some point
for kitchen utensils) as being somewhat self-oily, despite the fact that
the oil is made from the fruit.

Final guess would be that it cracked all to smithereens.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Mon, 3 Oct 2011 11:44:35 +0100, "Tom"
wrote:

I was given a piece of olive wood 4 inches square by 8 inches. I made a
money bgox with a threaded inner lid with coin slot and threaded outer lid
with finial.
The grain matched up nice and it polished up well. However I had to bin it
as unfit for purpose.

Can anyone guess why?

Tom.

It didn't pass your ridgid bgox standards?
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Ecnerwal got it right. the coins all turned black in spite of three coats
of sanding sealer and two of lacquer.

To bin it? throw it in the scrap bin and thanks for pointing out the
typo bgox.

Tom

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Tue, 4 Oct 2011 3:32:39 -0500, Tom wrote
(in message ):

Ecnerwal got it right. the coins all turned black in spite of three coats
of sanding sealer and two of lacquer.

To bin it? throw it in the scrap bin and thanks for pointing out the
typo bgox.

Tom

Couldn't you re-purpose the box? Perhaps more mundane coins would not mind
being tarnished. Maybe make a new inner lid which is not slotted, and use the
wooden box to contain some other thing... maybe a glass jar full of precious
memories.
tom koehler

--
I will find a way or make one.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On 10/4/2011 1:32 AM, Tom wrote:
Ecnerwal got it right. the coins all turned black in spite of three coats
of sanding sealer and two of lacquer.

To bin it? throw it in the scrap bin and thanks for pointing out the
typo bgox.

Tom

I don't get it - are black coins not negotiable? who cares what color
their small change is?
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Here in the U.K. there has been a fair amount of counterfet £2 and£! coins
in circulation. One of the things about them is that they discolour very
quickly. If you offered a black coin in a shop it would most likely be
refused.

Tom