Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Segment turning

Did some turning the last couple of days.
Pic's on my web page. hope it's allright to show webpages on here !!

Jerry

http://community.webtv.net/Grandmother300/TheGreatUrn
http://community.webtv.net/Grandmother300/GOTERDONE

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On 08/20/2011 01:17 PM, Jerry Ohio Also wrote:
Did some turning the last couple of days.
Pic's on my web page. hope it's allright to show webpages on here !!

Jerry

http://community.webtv.net/Grandmother300/TheGreatUrn
http://community.webtv.net/Grandmother300/GOTERDONE

Perfectly fine to post URLs here. As long as they're on topic anyway. g

That's quite a project. Future family heirloom?

I noticed you didn't stagger the joints. I'd be hesitant not to - have
you done other segmented vessels w/o overlapping the joints? Any
problem with joint failure? Since it's essentially a butt joint it's
not particularly strong. I'd be worried about seasonal movement.

Seem to be some finish on the glued up rings - was this wood salvaged
from an old something or another? Waste not, want not. Hard to tell
from the photos - is it maple?

....Kevin
--
Kevin Miller - http://www.alaska.net/~atftb
Juneau, Alaska
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Segment turning~Keven

Someone gave me a truck load of cabinet doors with dings from a cabinet
shop. I've never had trouble with things moving, about 20 items so far.
I tried staggering the joints but never get them right. Yes that is
maple,hard stuff !!!

Jerry

http://community.webtv.net/Grandmother300/TheGreatUrn
http://community.webtv.net/Grandmother300/GOTERDONE

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On 08/20/2011 07:16 PM, Jerry Ohio Also wrote:
Someone gave me a truck load of cabinet doors with dings from a cabinet
shop. I've never had trouble with things moving, about 20 items so far.
I tried staggering the joints but never get them right. Yes that is
maple,hard stuff !!!

Opps - I forgot I can't attach pictures here. I reposted the photo I
mentioned in my last post over in alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking...

--
Kevin Miller - http://www.alaska.net/~atftb
Juneau, Alaska
In a recent survey, 7 out of 10 hard drives preferred Linux
Registered Linux User No: 307357, http://counter.li.org
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Sat, 20 Aug 2011 16:17:59 -0500, Jerry Ohio Also wrote
(in message ):

http://community.webtv.net/Grandmother300/TheGreatUrn
http://community.webtv.net/Grandmother300/GOTERDONE

It is a great urn and a very pleasing shape. Having the joints lined up
produces a very striking effect. Devilish hard to keep the joints so
perfectly straight, though. Did you glue up your stack all at one go, or did
you do it in sections? I saw that you turned the upper neck separately and
attached it later. Any problems getting that lined up just so?
tom koehler

--
I will find a way or make one.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Segment turning@Tom

I had to turn the neck sep. because I shortened my mono tube . I made
sure I centered It close when I turned it & used a steady rest when I
put the whole thing back on the lathe to blend the two halves. I have a
piece of 3/4 ply with an all thread rod & just glue & stack the rings &
check my joints before I put a round disk on and tighten a nut to clamp
down the rings. If they slide out of alignment I un clamp & use a putty
knife & fix that screw up. I used to clamp two rings at a time but that
takes forever !
When I started I had trouble sanding the rings flat before I stacked
them. I made a 12" sanding disc & bought sandpaper from a rental floor
sander. You can get 24,36 & 50 grit. I find the 36 gives a rough surface
for the glue between rings. I haven't had any movement problems in my
turnings.
Only my solid stuff moves. That's why I like segment turning.

Jerry

http://community.webtv.net/awoodbutc...oodWorkingPage

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

If you look at my page below you will see some red wood things that the
joints are off !! I call them 'give a ways ' My kinfolk take them.
Good for the fire place!
I have a garage full of used wood , the 5/4 free maple tables from
Craigs List are gold to me.

Jerry

http://community.webtv.net/awoodbutc...oodWorkingPage

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Sun, 21 Aug 2011 21:46:56 -0500, Jerry OHIO wrote
(in message ):

If you look at my page below you will see some red wood things that the
joints are off !! I call them 'give a ways ' My kinfolk take them.
Good for the fire place!
I have a garage full of used wood , the 5/4 free maple tables from
Craigs List are gold to me.

Jerry

http://community.webtv.net/awoodbutc...oodWorkingPage

Interesting work. Don't sell yourself short... enter some of those contests.
It is a good way to get some exposure and feedback. Hmmm... never thought of
Craig's List for free wood stuff. Gotta check it out.
tom k.

--
I will find a way or make one.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Segment turning@Ray

Thanks for showing us your pages!! I like the way you make your
blanks!!!
The bench top saw you retired is the same saw I've been using for 10
years now. I don't think it will ever quit.

Jerry

http://community.webtv.net/awoodbutc...oodWorkingPage

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

In article , Jerry
Ohio Also wrote:

Did some turning the last couple of days.
Pic's on my web page. hope it's allright to show webpages on here !!

Beautiful work, Jerry!

Looking for MAN-10A 7 segment LED display nesesu Electronics Repair 4 December 25th 10 07:19 AM
Odd 7-segment display John E. Electronics Repair 33 February 25th 07 06:34 PM
what is the best way to go about fixing a bad LCD led segment Eric Lada Electronics Repair 3 January 4th 06 06:50 PM
Segment turning Art Ransom Woodturning 6 December 4th 05 04:54 PM
DIY - Small Segment Jig Greg G. Woodturning 24 November 30th 05 02:14 AM