Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Turning tools

Is this a wood turning forum or a "Hot Sexy video" forum? What a bunch
of junk!

In case there are any turners reading I'll try a post. Does anyone have
any experience with the Stone Mountain turning tools sold by Peachtree
Woodworking Supply?

Will they do a good job?
Suggestions for a set?

I'm a beginner turner and would like a decent quality set of tools that
I can grow into.

Thanks!
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On 08/12/2011 01:26 PM, Anon Ymous wrote:
Is this a wood turning forum or a "Hot Sexy video" forum? What a bunch
of junk!

In case there are any turners reading I'll try a post. Does anyone have
any experience with the Stone Mountain turning tools sold by Peachtree
Woodworking Supply?

Will they do a good job?
Suggestions for a set?

I'm a beginner turner and would like a decent quality set of tools that
I can grow into.

Don't buy a set. You're better off getting a couple of good tools that
match the type of turning you want to do than getting a half dozen tools
that you only use a couple of.

If you plan on doing bowl work, I'd recommend a 3/8" bowl gouge. I'd
also recommend a 3/4" skew chisel. I usually get my tools from Packard
Woodworks, http://www.packardwoodworks.com/. They specialize in
woodturning, so the tools they sell are good tools. The Stone Mountain
tools don't look bad, but I've never heard of them before so can't
really say.

I presume you already have a grinder to sharpen with. It's not a bad
thing to get a sharpening jig to maintain an consistent profile on the
tool. I use a Oneway wolverine jig. There are other jigs that are
similar that you can't go wrong with.

Mostly I'd recommend that you find a turning club near you, and find
some experienced turners to give you some lessons. If there are none,
I'd get some turning videos and watch them multiple times. "Turning
Wood with Richard Raffan" has always been one of my favorites.

Hope this helps...

....Kevin
--
Kevin Miller - http://www.alaska.net/~atftb
Juneau, Alaska
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Fri, 12 Aug 2011 17:26:50 -0400, Anon Ymous
wrote:

Is this a wood turning forum or a "Hot Sexy video" forum? What a bunch
of junk!

In case there are any turners reading I'll try a post. Does anyone have
any experience with the Stone Mountain turning tools sold by Peachtree
Woodworking Supply?

Will they do a good job?
Suggestions for a set?

I'm a beginner turner and would like a decent quality set of tools that
I can grow into.

Thanks!

I've been turning for about 8 years (in between other wood projects
and work)....I've never seen those tools, but I bought the 8 piece set
from Harbor Freight years ago for $40. It's now going for $60 (when
not on sale). This set meets all of my spindle and pen turning needs.
Bowl turning which I'm just starting to play around with needs a bit
different chisels (or at least a different grind on them).

IMO, basically if they are HSS (High Speed Steel), then if you don't
like the handles - turn your own. If you don't like the grind angle
on them, change them. I've also found that investing in some system
like the Wolverine sharpening system ensures that I get it nice and
accurate when I sharpen the gouges (much better than doing it
free-hand).

Gimp
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

In article ,
Anon Ymous wrote:

Is this a wood turning forum or a "Hot Sexy video" forum? What a bunch
of junk!

Set up appropriate filters and see almost none of the irrelevant crap.
That's what I do.

In case there are any turners reading I'll try a post. Does anyone have
any experience with the Stone Mountain turning tools sold by Peachtree
Woodworking Supply?

Will they do a good job?

No idea about that particular set, other than they evidently can't spell
"spindle" right. I'm also a little suspicious of High Speed Steel with
no mention of which grade of HSS it is, but both of those could be
sloppy catalog rather than any defect in the tool itself.

Suggestions for a set?

IME many "sets" end up with half the set sitting. What do you want to
turn, at present? Bowls? Chair Spindles? Lamps? Lamp Shades? Stair
Spindles? Pens? Mallets?

I'm a beginner turner and would like a decent quality set of tools that
I can grow into.

Thanks!

If price is an object, one branch is yard sales, one branch is Horrible
Fright (aka Harbor Freight) carbon steel, may or may not be hard, but
at least you'll know which half to replace and gets lots of practice
sharpening and one branch is unhandled tools (you are a turner, you can
make tool handles) from the good turning supply place my mind is
blanking on right now - starts with P, not penn state. Packard.
Mastercut from OneWay seems to be the unhandled selection at present.
Just put unhandled in the search box. You may find tools with handles
for less...

If price is no object, Glaser makes nice stuff. Others like Sorby and
Ellsworth, but Glaser is my favorite high-dollar tool. Last I recall
(can't find my catalog just now) Packard had them in the catalog, but
not online for some reason.

If you have any bent toward making stuff, look into the "Oland tool" as
well - your basic shaft to hold a metalworking-type tool bit, which just
happen to be an inexpensive source of good quality high speed steel.
Here's the link to Darrell's site with directions:
http://aroundthewoods.com/oland.shtml

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Like, Gimp, my frist set was the 8pc set from Harbor Freight. I still use
them for spindle work and they are holdiing up well (had then about 7/8
years) For your bowl gouges, buy individually and I would recommend Crown
for your first couple. They are good quality and will get past your
learning stage. You may wind up being perfectly happy with them and replace
with the same when you do replace. The 3/8's is a good all around gouge,
but I prefer the 1/2". Stay away from the Penn State Benjamin brand or any
other off brand. I was curious about the quality of the Benjamin's Best
bowl gouge and you get what you pay for. Its half the weight of the Crown
and really not even worth the $19.95 the charge for it.

As for the Stone Mountain, you have two choices. Get ONE and see what you
get. Get a Crown and develop your skills.

In any case, a grinder and jig are a necessity.

Deb

Anon Ymous wrote:

Is this a wood turning forum or a "Hot Sexy video" forum? What a bunch
of junk!

In case there are any turners reading I'll try a post. Does anyone have
any experience with the Stone Mountain turning tools sold by Peachtree
Woodworking Supply?

Will they do a good job?
Suggestions for a set?

I'm a beginner turner and would like a decent quality set of tools that
I can grow into.

Thanks!

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Fri, 12 Aug 2011 17:26:50 -0400, Anon Ymous
wrote:
No idea about the hot, sexy tools from Stone Mountain, but I agree
with the Harbor Freight set..

Don't get the one that's like $20 on sale, it's worth about $10..
The one that goes on sale for $40 is pretty good steel with nice
handles.. These are as good as any that I'd recommend to a new turner
until they've mastered basic sharpening..
You can use up a $100 gouge really fast if you try learning to sharpen
with it..
I'm a full time turner and use what most folks consider "cheap"
tools...Mostly from Penn State..
http://www.pennstateind.com/store/wo...ing-tools.html

I do recommend an inexpensive set of chisles so you can get familiar
with the basic tools: gouge, skew, parting tool, etc...
Get the set from HF or one like this:
http://www.pennstateind.com/store/LCHSS8.html

Add individual tools as your ability and type of projects grow: Bowl
gouges, scrapers, hollowing tools, etc..

Ask LOTS of questions here and check out some of the turning videos on
utube..
Is this a wood turning forum or a "Hot Sexy video" forum? What a bunch
of junk!

In case there are any turners reading I'll try a post. Does anyone have
any experience with the Stone Mountain turning tools sold by Peachtree
Woodworking Supply?

Will they do a good job?
Suggestions for a set?

I'm a beginner turner and would like a decent quality set of tools that
I can grow into.

Thanks!

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Fri, 12 Aug 2011 23:34:29 -0500, Dr. Deb wrote:

Like, Gimp, my frist set was the 8pc set from Harbor Freight. I still
use them for spindle work and they are holdiing up well (had then about
7/8 years)

In my case, the HF HSS tools were my second set. The first were not HSS.
I don't know what grade the HF tools are but I can testify that they held
an edge longer than carbon tool steel.

For the original poster, here's the link to the set:

http://www.harborfreight.com/8-piece...-lathe-chisel-
set-47066.html

The handles definitely look better than the ones on the set I bought :-).

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Dr. Deb wrote:

[...]

snip

A minority dissent:

I have been turning for about 10 years, mainly bowls. I own three
"grinders" but have never used one for sharpening turning tools. I
use a 1" belt sander with a blue zirconia belt with the small sanding
rest set at the angle I use. Has always worked great for me.
Incidentally, no lessons either. Maybe that is the reason I do things
differently.
--
Gerald Ross

Don't start comparing yourself to me.
It'll just make you crazy.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Sat, 13 Aug 2011 14:24:44 -0400, Gerald Ross
wrote:
snip
A minority dissent:

I have been turning for about 10 years, mainly bowls. I own three
"grinders" but have never used one for sharpening turning tools. I
use a 1" belt sander with a blue zirconia belt with the small sanding
rest set at the angle I use. Has always worked great for me.
Incidentally, no lessons either. Maybe that is the reason I do things
differently.

I use a 1" x 40something" belt grinder for scrapers.. Works really
well with the table at a negative angle and the scrapers sharpened
"upside down"...
I use a low speed grinder with the funky white wheel for gouges with
the EZgrind jig...

OTOH, I use mostly carbide tools now so my bowl gouges last a LOT
longer..
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

wrote:
snip
A minority dissent:

I have been turning for about 10 years, mainly bowls. I own three
"grinders" but have never used one for sharpening turning tools. I
use a 1" belt sander with a blue zirconia belt with the small sanding
rest set at the angle I use. Has always worked great for me.
Incidentally, no lessons either. Maybe that is the reason I do things
differently.

I use a 1" x 40something" belt grinder for scrapers.. Works really
well with the table at a negative angle and the scrapers sharpened
"upside down"...
I use a low speed grinder with the funky white wheel for gouges with
the EZgrind jig...

OTOH, I use mostly carbide tools now so my bowl gouges last a LOT
longer..

The hot ticket at the NH guild meeting more than a few years back was a
cheap 4x36" bench belt sander, rearranged in some way (ie, bolted to a
wall was one method - messing with the drive was another) so the belt
was running "uphill" with Al/Zn belt - jig or not jig as you like it or
depending what you were sharpening. The usual sorts of fingernail jigs
worked fine on it. Rub the burr off with a bit of leather and go. Being
a belt sander, no heat build up to speak of, and a flat grind.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Sun, 14 Aug 2011 10:10:05 -0400, Ecnerwal
wrote:

snip
The hot ticket at the NH guild meeting more than a few years back was a
cheap 4x36" bench belt sander, rearranged in some way (ie, bolted to a
wall was one method - messing with the drive was another) so the belt
was running "uphill" with Al/Zn belt - jig or not jig as you like it or
depending what you were sharpening. The usual sorts of fingernail jigs
worked fine on it. Rub the burr off with a bit of leather and go. Being
a belt sander, no heat build up to speak of, and a flat grind.

A freind was telling me that he bought a sharpening system for his
shopsmith that uses the 12" sanding disk, support table and some sort
of jig..
Claims that it's the easiest method he's ever seen and is very happy
with the edge it puts on the tools, especially skews.
I HATE sharpening skews..
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Aug 12, 2:26*pm, Anon Ymous wrote:
Is this a wood turning forum or a "Hot Sexy video" forum? What a bunch
of junk!

In case there are any turners reading I'll try a post. Does anyone have
any experience with the Stone Mountain turning tools sold by Peachtree
Woodworking Supply?

Will they do a good job?
Suggestions for a set?

I'm a beginner turner and would like a decent quality set of tools that
I can grow into.

Thanks!

Hello Anon,

See, there are still woodturners reading this forum. The off topic
posts is what keeps me from reading it more, but today I felt that I
should read it and there was your question which has been well
answered from some experienced turners. I only purchased one set of
"cheap" turning tools about 22 years ago and found that they would
become dull while I was turning away from the grinder or at least when
first applied to the wood. I personally own a large number of turning
tools from the major manufacturers: Robert Sorby, Crown Tools, Hamlet
Tools are all good tools.

As a beginning turner, you might find the Easy Rougher tools very
useful or the Hunter Carbide Tools excellent. Both are easy to use and
they are always sharp and do not require sharpening. I've been turning
since 1998 and find these carbide tools nice to use. I feel they are
well worth the money and they save time learning to sharpen.

But as others have stated, do not purchase a set of tools!!! Decide
what you want to turn and then purchase the tools needed to do it. For
example, if you want to turn spindles (grain running along the
direction of rotation), you need a spindle roughing gouge, a 3/8 inch
or 1/2 inch spindle gouge, a skew chisel, and a parting tool. If you
want to turn bowls, you need a 3/8 inch or 1/2 inch or 5/8 inch bowl
gouge depending upon how large of bowls you plan to turn, a wide heavy
duty round nose scraper to smooth up the ridges left by the bowl
gouge, and I recommend a good four jaw woodturning chuck such as Nova,
Vicmarc, Oneway, Robert Sorby, Vermec.

You may find some useful information at my web site also.

Fred Holder
http://www.morewoodturning.net

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

wrote:
No idea about the hot, sexy tools from Stone Mountain, but I agree
with the Harbor Freight set..

Don't get the one that's like $20 on sale, it's worth about $10..
The one that goes on sale for $40 is pretty good steel with nice
handles.. These are as good as any that I'd recommend to a new turner
until they've mastered basic sharpening..

Hi All,
If you go with teh HF tools I would go with the set that sells for about
$65. Almost the same as the $40 but heavier. I have a set of each and both
are fine, But, I like the heavier tools a bit better.

Dan

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Anon Ymous wrote:

: I'm a beginner turner and would like a decent quality set of tools that
: I can grow into.

You've gotten some excellent advice from other turners. Two more things
to consider:

1) Diefenbacher Tools makes and sells some excellent carbon steel tools.
These can be sharoened to a really sharp edge; it won't last as long
as HSS but I like them for finish cuts.
2) A set of the diamond hones on plastic paddles is useful for touching
up an edge (HSS or carbon steel) without regrinding.

-- Andy Barss

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Wed, 17 Aug 2011 07:58:34 -0700 (PDT), Fred Holder
wrote:

Hi Fred! Long time no type..

A couple of quick comments:
The 4 or 5 tools you recommend are a set, in most cases.. Add bowl
gouge and scraper(s) for bowls later..

I use mostly carbide tools but I never teach with them..
They make it too easy and folks tend to not learn how to use "real"
tools.. I guess I believe in learning basic turning first and them
getting the "shortcut tools" after you know what cuts you're using
them for and which tools they're doing the job of..

Nice to see you here.. I can't begin to thank you for all I've learned
from you over the years..

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Wed, 17 Aug 2011 22:48:50 -0500, "djcordes"
wrote:

Hi All,
If you go with teh HF tools I would go with the set that sells for about
$65. Almost the same as the $40 but heavier. I have a set of each and both
are fine, But, I like the heavier tools a bit better.

Dan

I think that we're all talking about the same set, Dan.. Just that
some refer to it as the $65 set and others as the "$40 on sale" set..
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Mac you say you use mostly carbide turning tools but prefer to teach using
conventional tools. Can you explain to this novice why? I started being
taught using conventional tools and found it to be discouraging, I went to a
class taught by a demonstrator for Easy Wood Tools and got the hang of it
fairly quickly.

Russ
wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Fri, 19 Aug 2011 22:19:19 -0400, "Russ Stanton"
wrote:

Mac you say you use mostly carbide turning tools but prefer to teach using
conventional tools. Can you explain to this novice why? I started being
taught using conventional tools and found it to be discouraging, I went to a
class taught by a demonstrator for Easy Wood Tools and got the hang of it
fairly quickly.

Russ

2 reasons, Russ.. The first is that I've never found a tool that
completly replaces the bowl gouge...
I use the WoodChuck Bowlpro a lot but they're for roughing... I can't
get a sweeping curve on the inside of a bowl from anything but a sharp
bowl gouge..

2nd, you should know what tool(s) you're partially replacing with the
carbide tool and how it cuts... I have several carbide tools that I
use as roughing gouges, skews, hollowing tools, etc., but I feel that
my learning to use/control the conventional tools first makes me much
better with the carbide ones..

You can rough out a bowl with the EZrougher or Bowlpro, (same tools
with different prices) and then use a bowl gouge and scraper to
smooth and shape the inside of the bowl..
I can turn a complete bowl with the bowlpro, just like I can write a
letter in Excel.. Just not well

Hope that makes a little bit of sense..
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

I have some china junk I 'm learning on ,two years . My 3/4 gouge is 1"
long after a catch in some oak. But I did buy an $80.00 scraper
yesterday for cleaning up the inside of my urn. I could of closed my
eyes & used that thing, real steel This thing is 3/4 thick & 1& 1/4 wide
,about 3 foot long

Jerry.

http://community.webtv.net/awoodbutc...oodWorkingPage

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Fri, 12 Aug 2011 17:26:50 -0400, Anon Ymous
wrote:

While I have been doing woodworking for the past 65 years I am new to
turning. About a year ago I bought a HF lathe (the cast iron one for
$150) and HF tools (the 8 chisels heavier HSS for $40). While some
recommend against buying a set, I don't think you can buy just a few
chisels for the cost of that set. This set will probably hold me for
the indefinite future. So far I have mastered the scraper and the
parting tool and a few special ones I made from old screwdrivers.
Remember a poor craftsman blames his tools. For some pictures of a
beginners efforts see

http://ray80538.home.comcast.net/~ra...l/segbowl.html

I think they turned out OK.

Is this a wood turning forum or a "Hot Sexy video" forum? What a bunch
of junk!

In case there are any turners reading I'll try a post. Does anyone have
any experience with the Stone Mountain turning tools sold by Peachtree
Woodworking Supply?

Will they do a good job?
Suggestions for a set?

I'm a beginner turner and would like a decent quality set of tools that
I can grow into.

Thanks!

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Mac

In your opinion are there turnings that could not be done using carbide
tools such as Easy Wood Tools. I am thinking of things such as turning a
bowl from a burl that would have a significant number of voids, or maybe a
bowl with square wings.

Russ
wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Mon, 22 Aug 2011 22:14:54 -0400, "Russ Stanton"
wrote:

Russ.. I've turned a few bowls and vases with just the carbide tools,
mostly the Woodchuck, which is the same as your EZ tools..

On the bowls, I wasn't happy with the basic shapes.. maybe because I'm
used to swinging the bowl gouge, I don't know..

I do know that on the Wodchuck tool website he states that his tools
are not intended to replace bowl gouges and has links to suppliers..

I got very comfortable with the Bowlpro and thought it removed
material fast, until i went over the hollowing with a sharp bowl
gouge.. Shavings curling and flying! lol

OTOH, I've sold several pieces that I would never have attempted
without carbide, particularly the Mega Elimanator..
Deep hallowing in cracked ironwood, light cuts on knots, etc...

I have to say that carbide has been very good for my business and
makes my gouges last a lot longer, but doesn't replace them..

In your opinion are there turnings that could not be done using carbide
tools such as Easy Wood Tools. I am thinking of things such as turning a
bowl from a burl that would have a significant number of voids, or maybe a
bowl with square wings.

Russ
.. .

Turning Tools Anon Ymous Woodworking 1 August 11th 11 03:21 AM
0.1- 00.1- 000.1- 0.00. Are micrometers turning tools? Arch Woodturning 6 October 27th 07 06:01 PM
Which turning tools to go with? Dan Apt Woodturning 53 January 22nd 06 04:26 AM
Pen Turning Tools Ken Jarvie Woodturning 1 January 20th 05 01:20 PM
FS Turning Tools James E Gaydos Woodturning 0 November 21st 04 08:10 PM