Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Serendipity. Stumbling On Another Way To Add Movement To Turnings

Have you ever - started out - with a vague idea of what you THINK you
want to turn
- and end up somewhere completely unexpected?

This started out to be a first attempt at a "winged" vessel - maybe a
winged bowl - or probably something smaller - a winged cup.

If the term "winged" is unfamiliar to you - image taken a 10" long piece
of a 2x4. Mount it between centers like a 4" wide propeller - the 10
length UpDown, the propeller 2" thick. Turn the piece as if you were
making a shallow bowl - but leave it unturned in the middle - plus an
inch or two on either sided of center. Next, turn the area previously
unturned into a little "full round" cup or bowl - leavihng the
previously turned "wings" of course.
cup
/U\
/ \
wings

I seem to have trouble keeping it simple - and this would be no
exception. Instead
of turning simple wings, I decided to do them on multi-centers -
creating them
from two intersection arcs. And to add a bit more to the challenge, I
tapered the two intersecting arc wings - fat on the outside, narrower at
the "cup". And I left
the wings thick because I wanted to do some carving and sculpting on
them.

What I ended up with is an unintended version of a tight rope walker -
with an
odd looking outrigger balancing pole. And because of all the extra wood
out
on the ends of the wings, the center of gravity of the winged cup is
below
the bottom of the cup - which happens to make it very stabile - when you
sit
it / balance it on something - like a turned pull - on top of the lid -
of a lidded
box - or amphora.

Here's a link to more about this thing - with a link from that page to a
YouTube
video of it - in action (another unintended consequence / option this
piece has)

http://web.hypersurf.com/~charlie2/T...ingedCup1.html

What I hope comes acrossed with all this is - ideas can come from
anywhere.
There are so many possibilities you can't help but stumble onto them.
The
trick is to follow opportunities when the pop up.

Have YOU stumbled on a possibility - and then pursued it? if so, care
share where it went?
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Jan 9, 5:19*pm, charlie b wrote:
Have you ever - started out - with a vague idea of what you THINK you
want to turn
- and end up somewhere completely unexpected?

This started out to be a first attempt at a "winged" vessel - maybe a
winged bowl - or probably something smaller - a winged cup.

If the term "winged" is unfamiliar to you - image taken a 10" long piece
of a 2x4. *Mount it between centers like a 4" wide propeller - the 10
length UpDown, the propeller 2" thick. *Turn the piece as if you were
making a shallow bowl - but leave it unturned in the middle - plus an
inch or two on either sided of center. *Next, turn the area previously
unturned into a little "full round" cup or bowl - leavihng the
previously turned "wings" of course.
* * * cup
* * * /U\
* * / * * * \
[...]

Very nice result in the winged bowl. It looks too scary for me to
turn.
I started replacing the floor in my shop and then I have been
suffering with a sore hip the last week . Going to try to get back at
the floor job today. Then I want to try your firewood bowl.
Murray in Cape Breton Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Sun, 9 Jan 2011 15:19:22 -0600, charlie b wrote
(in message ):

Have you ever - started out - with a vague idea of what you THINK you
want to turn
- and end up somewhere completely unexpected?

This started out to be a first attempt at a "winged" vessel - maybe a
winged bowl - or probably something smaller - a winged cup.

Your winged cup is not too terribly different from a wedding spoon with two
handles and would serve very nicely in the same or similar context.

As for the interesting balancing aspect... well the possibilities are wide
open I think.
tom koehler

--
I will find a way or make one.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

One of these days we'll wake up to find you turning the planet!

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Lobby Dosser wrote:

One of these days we'll wake up to find you turning the planet!

I've only got a little itty bitty lathe - a JET mini VS. The
limitations
it imposes on the size of things I can turn seems, in retrospect, to
have advantages. When things go wrong while turning small things
it's a little piece of wood - easy and cheap or free to replace - and
not big enough to require emergency room treatment ; ). Because
the Intimidation Factor is relatively low, I'm proned to try things I
wouldn't even consider trying on a larger piece of wood spun on a
much larger, more powerful lathe.

When I watched Jimmy Clewes turn a winged box - out of a foot long
4x4 of black walnut - my jaws were clenched the whole time - and I
stayed way out of the line of fire of what seemed like a helicopter
rotor sized propeller - spinning at a very scary speed. But a little
chunk of wood, doing the same thing, albeit at only 1800 rpms was
far less intimidating. The first contact of cutting edge to the end
of that spinning propeller was done with a bit of trepidation and
not absolute terror. That went well so I continued on - and found it
wasn't as tricky or as scary as I'd thought.

Smaller Lathe = Lower Intimidation Factor
Lower Intimidation Factor = Try More Wild Hare Idea
Trying More Wild Hare Ideas = MORE FUN!

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"charlie b" wrote in message
Lobby Dosser wrote:

One of these days we'll wake up to find you turning the planet!

snip

Smaller Lathe = Lower Intimidation Factor
Lower Intimidation Factor = Try More Wild Hare Idea
Trying More Wild Hare Ideas = MORE FUN!

Makes sense. I finally dug out the Unimat, but I need to figure out wood
turning on it. Missing a tool rest and centers. Got a faceplate somewhere,
but they are relatively inexpensive and as soon as I buy one I'll find the
missing one.. Should be interesting, as the Unimat also has milling
capability and I have a Proxxon XY table.

1/2" winged turnings shouldn't be too scary!

--
"He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy! "
Brian's Mum