Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Wood turning show

I saw a wood turning show on PBS , didn't catch his name but if anybody
caught it can you tell me what size chuck he has on his lathe?? I've
been leaning towards investing in a chuck but don't know what brand &
size to get. The base on most of my turnings are 4 to 6 inches. When you
buy a chuck do you buy the jaws separately??

Jerry

http://community.webtv.net/Jerryohio-2/HONEYDOLIST

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Mon, 29 Nov 2010 05:30:41 -0800, Ralph E Lindberg wrote:

That's Tim Yonder and he has release three "seasons" of shows, for
something like 50 episodes

As for chucks, a basic chuck like the Nova G3 would do you just fine
(BTW Craftsupply USA has flat rate shipping of $5 for MONDAY only)

I recently attended a class given by Jimmy Clewes. Most of it was way
above my skill level but I picked up a lot of good tips and techniques.
Jimmy pointed out that the Nova chuck jaws had one problem, they have a
little "lip" at the outer edge of the dovetail. Supposedly it makes it
grip a little better, but in Jimmy's opinion it crushed fibers and made
it more likely that the tenon would break off. He prefers plain dovetail
jaws with no serrations or lips.

Since I already had a Nova chuck, Jimmy suggested cutting a small groove
at the base of the tenon to give the lip somewhere to go.

I'm sure other turners have other opinions but I thought I'd pass along
what I learned.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Mon, 29 Nov 2010 18:24:03 +0000 (UTC), Larry Blanchard
wrote:

I pay a little more and go with the Oneway chucks...
A few bucks more but they're worth it..
My first chuck was a Oneway Talon and it's still going strong after 6 years and
3 lathes..

[...]

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Wood Glue Specials for wood turning. [email protected] Woodturning 2 April 1st 08 12:37 AM
Good background to show off wood? Tana Woodworking 2 May 1st 06 04:23 PM
Wood working show classes Woodworking 1 January 20th 06 03:39 AM
anybody got to the wood show in columbus? how was it? roger garber Woodworking 3 January 16th 05 11:35 PM
Cloverdale Wood Show Nut Tree Woodworking 8 November 5th 03 11:32 PM