Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default A tip (that may already be common knowledge)

When I drug a piece of beautifully spalted maple inside and cut into
it the other night a bit of
inspiration hit. I'd always got out a protractor, scribed a circle
and used my bandsaw to cut
out the rounds and then turn - sometimes between centers, sometimes on
a faceplate. When
I did the latter I would not always get the blanks centered up close
on the faceplate. Often
they were up to an eighth of an inch off. Yeah, yeah an eighth but
hey, I shoot for getting as much
out of the wood as I can.
Well I realized there is a small hole in the center of each of my
faceplates so I put a screw through
it and then on into the wood. Three more screws and I was good to go.
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

I turned some oak to 3/4 and put a brad in the center of the end . I put
the peg in my face plate from behind and pick up center on the log with
the brad.

Jerry

http://community.webtv.net/awoodbutc...oodWorkingPage

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Sun, 14 Nov 2010 11:26:00 -0800 (PST), Kevin wrote:

When I drug a piece of beautifully spalted maple inside and cut into
it the other night a bit of
inspiration hit. I'd always got out a protractor, scribed a circle
and used my bandsaw to cut
out the rounds and then turn - sometimes between centers, sometimes on
a faceplate. When
I did the latter I would not always get the blanks centered up close
on the faceplate. Often
they were up to an eighth of an inch off. Yeah, yeah an eighth but
hey, I shoot for getting as much
out of the wood as I can.
Well I realized there is a small hole in the center of each of my
faceplates so I put a screw through
it and then on into the wood. Three more screws and I was good to go.

I use one of these:
http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/st...mp late?Args=
Not only helps you find and mark the center, but since you can see through it,
you can pick the best part of the blank to use.. YMWV

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Kevin wrote:
When I drug a piece of beautifully spalted maple inside and cut into
it the other night a bit of
inspiration hit. I'd always got out a protractor, scribed a circle
and used my bandsaw to cut
out the rounds and then turn - sometimes between centers, sometimes on
a faceplate. When
I did the latter I would not always get the blanks centered up close
on the faceplate. Often
they were up to an eighth of an inch off. Yeah, yeah an eighth but
hey, I shoot for getting as much
out of the wood as I can.
Well I realized there is a small hole in the center of each of my
faceplates so I put a screw through
it and then on into the wood. Three more screws and I was good to go.

Good tip.

I drill a 9/16 hole where I want the center and it fits on the pin of
my bandsaw jig. After making the blank round I use the same hole and
drill a 1 1/8 hole with a brad-point bit and slip it on a 1" pin chuck
to turn the outside and dovetail foot.

--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

Sometimes the best defense is a
skillful surrender.

Car dash-mounted SatNav knowledge sort - or at least knowledge of howto clean the controls. RJS[_2_] UK diy 2 September 5th 10 10:02 AM
Share your Knowledge! [email protected] Woodworking 1 June 20th 07 12:55 PM
Common Knowledge (or it could be in the manual I didn't read) charlieb Woodturning 16 February 28th 07 09:40 PM
Siphon knowledge Richard UK diy 26 July 11th 06 07:19 PM
Knowledge to Burn Cliff Metalworking 10 April 4th 06 01:32 AM