DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Ginko Wood (https://www.diybanter.com/woodturning/309169-ginko-wood.html)

John Gbur September 1st 10 03:27 AM

Ginko Wood

Anybody turn any Ginko Wood before? I got a whole tree just curious what
others turned and what their experiences were with it. I have turned a
couple bowls with it and plan to really dig into it and turn rough outs this
week/weekend. I have read about some different turnings people did and uses
but curious if any had first hand experience on the list. Thanks!

Steve[_52_] September 3rd 10 04:21 AM

Ginko Wood

On 2010-08-31 22:27:23 -0400, "John Gbur" said:

Anybody turn any Ginko Wood before? I got a whole tree just curious
what others turned and what their experiences were with it. I have
turned a couple bowls with it and plan to really dig into it and turn
rough outs this week/weekend. I have read about some different
turnings people did and uses but curious if any had first hand
experience on the list. Thanks!

Took a turning class this summer, and the instructor gave my a piece to
try. It's fairly soft -- not quite balsa, probably not as hard as
basswood. Very even color, very little grain, prone to tear-out on end
grain cuts.

If I can remember how, I'll put some images on ABPW.

John Gbur September 3rd 10 12:09 PM

Ginko Wood

Thanks for the info. I had done a bowl or two and just started slabbing out
a number of platters and spindle stock.

g.com...

Steve[_52_] September 4th 10 02:55 AM

Ginko Wood

On 2010-09-03 07:09:11 -0400, "John Gbur" said:

Thanks for the info. I had done a bowl or two and just started
slabbing out a number of platters and spindle stock.

Look forward to seeing what you come up with. BTW, was it a male or
female ginko tree?

John Gbur September 5th 10 03:35 AM

Ginko Wood

Funny you should ask. It was female (Prior to this I didn't know there were
male and female trees). As research showed there are and the reason the
people were cutting it down was verified as well. The seeds/fruit of the
female stink! I fortunately did not get to verify this as I guess it was
not the season for it.

I took most of the tree (not the branches) except for what someone took
while I was cutting. Had plenty of wood still and even shared it with
others as I had so much.

I am rough turning and drying most of it so we'll see how it comes out when
it dries.

g.com...