DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   I tried to warn her (https://www.diybanter.com/woodturning/308895-i-tried-warn-her.html)

Drew Lawson[_2_] August 28th 10 12:10 AM

I tried to warn her

The lathe has sat neglected for a long while since my previous
beginner flailings. I decided that it was time to try again. And
it has been a good week. But That doesn't mean there is no risk.

Several months ago, I somehow attracted the attention of a tree
trimmer. Subsequent to that, my driveway wood mound caught the
attention of the local grass height measuring officer. So quick
reorganizing and restacking in less visible places followed.

But I digress.

In the pile were some small pieces with deep cracks. That was
irresistible to my Roy-ish daydreams and were pulled aside to be
mangled with froe and wedge. They turned out to be otherwise solid.

When I got back to playing with spinning wood, I grabbed one of
those small pieces -- spalted oak, I think -- to try rounding it.
Amazingly enough, it went well. But then I had this 3/4" dowel
maybe 5-6 inches long. What can I do with that?

(Tangent: I don't yet turn pens, but I now get the appeal.)

I decided to try a mushroom. Just as I was thinking, "I can probably
get two out of this piece," the stem snapped. But the second attempt
survived.

I left the day's successes (mushroom and tiny, but intact for the
first time, bowl) out where they could be spotted when my wife came
home from work.

She gushed over the mushroom, and immediately claimed it for her
own. I warned her that this might not be the thing to encourage,
but she won't hear it. And tonight, she showed off the 'shroom to
a friend who as over.

I wonder how many mushrooms it will take before she realizes her
mistake.

--
Drew Lawson For it's not the fall, but landing,
That will alter your social standing

Dr. Deb[_3_] August 30th 10 06:52 PM

I tried to warn her

If she is smart, you will never know. She has you, out of the house,
occupied with toys and content. What woman would want to blow that? ;-)

Deb