Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Has anyone turned bamboo?

I have some clumps of giant timber bamboo besides the house. I've been
removing some of the culms to keep the grove under control and now have
almost a dozen that I've harvested. The culms are 4-6" in diameter near the
base and about 35-40 feet tall. The walls of the lower sections are up to
about 1" thick. It occurred to me that this might be a novel source for
turning material, for such things as candle-stick holders, salt-and-pepper
shakers, a chop stick holder, etc.

Has anyone tried turning bamboo sections, and if so what did you think of
the final product?

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

You have a special version of bamboo and would be a value to the
local garden shops - in the raw state or in yard stuff.

If there are Japanese gardens near by - make friends. They build
almost any structure out of them.

Martin

Martin H. Eastburn
"Our Republic and the Press will Rise or Fall Together": Joseph Pulitzer
TSRA: Endowed; NRA LOH & Patron Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot's Medal.
NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Charter Founder
IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member. http://lufkinced.com/

On 6/23/2010 7:11 PM, JimR wrote:
I have some clumps of giant timber bamboo besides the house. I've been
removing some of the culms to keep the grove under control and now have
almost a dozen that I've harvested. The culms are 4-6" in diameter near the
base and about 35-40 feet tall. The walls of the lower sections are up to
about 1" thick. It occurred to me that this might be a novel source for
turning material, for such things as candle-stick holders, salt-and-pepper
shakers, a chop stick holder, etc.

Has anyone tried turning bamboo sections, and if so what did you think of
the final product?

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

yes, I have, makes interesting work. do a search for some examples - cut
into strips, glue strips into blocks and turn on a bias for a very nice
effect (I hesitate to call it grain, given that this is just huge grass)

"JimR" wrote in message
m...
I have some clumps of giant timber bamboo besides the house. I've been
removing some of the culms to keep the grove under control and now have
almost a dozen that I've harvested. The culms are 4-6" in diameter near
the base and about 35-40 feet tall. The walls of the lower sections are
up to about 1" thick. It occurred to me that this might be a novel source
for turning material, for such things as candle-stick holders,
salt-and-pepper shakers, a chop stick holder, etc.

Has anyone tried turning bamboo sections, and if so what did you think of
the final product?

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

If I try to take a sample to my local garden shop, which is about 20 miles
away, a 40' bamboo culm sticking out of the sunroof of my Honda Civic is
going to look like some giant children's pull toy --

Thanks, everyone, for the information -- JimR

On 6/23/2010 7:11 PM, JimR wrote:
I have some clumps of giant timber bamboo besides the house. I've been
removing some of the culms to keep the grove under control and now have
almost a dozen that I've harvested. The culms are 4-6" in diameter near
the
base and about 35-40 feet tall. The walls of the lower sections are up
about 1" thick. It occurred to me that this might be a novel source for
turning material, for such things as candle-stick holders,
salt-and-pepper
shakers, a chop stick holder, etc.

Has anyone tried turning bamboo sections, and if so what did you think of
the final product?

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Hi Jim,

Maybe decorative bamboo rollers for rugs or carpet material. Maybe
fishing poles for catching whales. Maybe not.

OK, I just wanted an excuse to post this, probably old to most of you,
but new to me quote.

"No trees were destroyed in posting this, but a significant number of
electrons were terribly inconvenienced."

(The S. Fl heat & humidity finally got to me, sorry.)

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"Arch" wrote in message

Hi Jim,

Maybe decorative bamboo rollers for rugs or carpet material. Maybe
fishing poles for catching whales. Maybe not.

Turned on a pole lathe by a bodger!

OK, I just wanted an excuse to post this, probably old to most of you,
but new to me quote.

"No trees were destroyed in posting this, but a significant number of
electrons were terribly inconvenienced."

(The S. Fl heat & humidity finally got to me, sorry.)

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Jun 23, 8:11*pm, "JimR" wrote:
I have some clumps of giant timber bamboo besides the house. *I've been
removing some of the culms to keep the grove under control and now have
almost a dozen that I've harvested. *The culms are 4-6" in diameter near the
base and about 35-40 feet tall. *The walls of the lower sections are up to
about 1" thick. *It occurred to me that this might be a novel source for
turning material, for such things as candle-stick holders, salt-and-pepper
shakers, a chop stick holder, etc.

Has anyone tried turning bamboo sections, and if so what did you think of
the final product?

I have seen some pens made from bamboo
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Tue, 29 Jun 2010 15:43:16 -0500, Kevin wrote
(in message
):

I have seen some pens made from bamboo

well, now I'm going to wander off topic and respond that back in the '60's I
had a slide rule that was made of laminated bamboo. Sorry for the diversion,
just couldn't resist.
tom koehler

--
I will find a way or make one.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"tom koehler" wrote in
message net.net...
On Tue, 29 Jun 2010 15:43:16 -0500, Kevin wrote
(in message
):

I have seen some pens made from bamboo

well, now I'm going to wander off topic and respond that back in the '60's
had a slide rule that was made of laminated bamboo. Sorry for the
diversion,
just couldn't resist.
tom koehler

Nay, just pointing out the stability!

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"tom koehler" wrote: well, now I'm going to wander off topic and respond
that back in the '60's I
had a slide rule that was made of laminated bamboo. Sorry for the
diversion,
just couldn't resist.
tom koehler

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
It was probably a Sun-Hemmi, made in Japan. In my opinion those worked
better than K & E or Dietzgen. which were made of wood. The fact that the
grain of bamboo runs perfectly parallel to its axis provides an unbeatable
sliding surface. I once lost a whole grade point in a chemistry final
because it was raining that day, and my sliderule (not bamboo) was sticking.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"JimR" wrote in message
m...
I have some clumps of giant timber bamboo besides the house. I've been
removing some of the culms to keep the grove under control and now have
almost a dozen that I've harvested. The culms are 4-6" in diameter near
the base and about 35-40 feet tall. The walls of the lower sections are up
to about 1" thick. It occurred to me that this might be a novel source for
turning material, for such things as candle-stick holders, salt-and-pepper
shakers, a chop stick holder, etc.

Has anyone tried turning bamboo sections, and if so what did you think of
the final product?

Never tried it myself but you can buy bowls made from bamboo very cheaply
here in the UK;

http://www.johnlewis.com/230860025/Product.aspx

The ones on sale look to be laminated then turned and lacqyered on th
outside. Looking into them looks like plywood spiralling outwards from the
centre of the base:

http://www.johnlewis.com/230748417/Product.aspx

I doubt I coudl buy the bamboo for the price these things cost, never mind
all the work involved.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"Norman Billingham" norman.at.tumulus.org.uk wrote in message

"JimR" wrote in message
m...
[...]

When I finish a couple of other projects I'll try some straight turning,
maybe a candlestick -- from one of the wider-diameter pieces I might be able
to turn a holder for a soft-drink can to insulate it and keep condensation
moisture from dripping onto the table. I've already got about 30 culms, all
about 35-40' tall, and up to about 5-6" in diameter.

Anybody need a couple of bamboo fenceposts or a push-pole for a pontoon
boat?

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning,rec.gardens.bamboo

JimR wrote:
wrote in message
ster.com...
[snip]
Incidentally, I'd love to grow the giant bamboo. I've only seen it
growing in warm-to-hot climates and I'm wondering if it would
survive my downstate NY winters. Other bamboos do okay, though. Any
thoughts?

Nemo

You are not in a good area to get large diameter bamboo for crafts.
Just too cold, you might get micro climates to get some growth but it
will not be consistent. Found most of the bamboo north of westchester is
sheltered by hardwoods and will not reach published sizes. A bamboo from
a division should mature in 7 to 10 years if it will be happy in its new
location.

Ph vivax 4 to 5 inches over 40 feet
ph robert young 3 to 4 inches 30 plus feet
ph rubomarginata 2 to 3 inches 30 feet-- good for crafts
ph nigra 1.5 and 25 feet
ph aurosulcata variants 2 inches 30 feet--- not good for crafts ---
distributed through government farm programs for research and promotion

north shore of LI
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning,rec.gardens.bamboo

"downhill" wrote in message
JimR wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

Is it the wall thickness which makes a bamboo good for crafts?
The thicker the wall the better I suppose.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning,rec.gardens.bamboo

Pierre Lanuéjols wrote:
"downhill"
You are not in a good area to get large diameter bamboo for crafts.
Just too cold, you might get micro climates to get some growth but it will
not be consistent. Found most of the bamboo north of westchester is
sheltered by hardwoods and will not reach published sizes. A bamboo from a
division should mature in 7 to 10 years if it will be happy in its new
location.

Ph vivax 4 to 5 inches over 40 feet
ph robert young 3 to 4 inches 30 plus feet
ph rubomarginata 2 to 3 inches 30 feet-- good for crafts
ph nigra 1.5 and 25 feet
ph aurosulcata variants 2 inches 30 feet--- not good for crafts ---
distributed through government farm programs for research and promotion

north shore of LI

Is it the wall thickness which makes a bamboo good for crafts?
The thicker the wall the better I suppose.

Would depend on what craft your outputting. Basket weaving uses the
outer shell for weaving and strips the inner softer wood away. Almost
any will work with weaving if aged bamboo is used, and using a
preservative on a single piece basic has a decent life span
The problem with using bamboo grown in US is the inability to kill
bamboo borers and other pests in the curing process. The method of
curing bamboo that works is not permitted to be done in US due to toxicity.
I bought a package of bamboo utensils at a shop in NYC chinatown. The
package was sealed and had an air bubble in it. After leaving the
package on a shelf by the window for a few weeks. I noticed tiny holes
in the utensils. With further inspection I noticed bamboo borers and the
package was still sealed with air pressure.
If you think I do not know what I am talking about put a white sheet of
paper under a bamboo item let it sit for two months shake the item over
the paper before removing it. Examine the remains, if you see an
excessive amount of yellow dust examine the item for small
holes.including bamboo flooring

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning,rec.gardens.bamboo

wrote:

"downhill"

[...]

Thank you, Pierre, for the info on bambo species. I don't think my local
climate is going to work out - the only bamboo I've seen around here is
skinny stuff, not really turn-worthy.

But your comment on curing bamboo raises a question. If overseas methods are
not allowed here due to toxicity, should we be worried about imported bamboo
eating and cooking utensils? What's in the stuff that's so toxic?

Nemo

Not Pierre.
Heading to Lime Rock for the next 3 days so I will pass through your
area. The only bamboo that I have seen are P japonica & ph bissitti and
yellow groove Ph aureosulcata.
You need to check Farley's "Book of Bamboo" for the actual process but I
think it involved a bromide compound.
Not many people eat on bamboo, and if you pay any attention to what
china will put in a product take cadmium in children's jewelry you would
be inspecting things from china in more detail.

koikeeper
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning,rec.gardens.bamboo

"downhill" wrote in message
JimR wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

Thanks for the info.

I have taken a second look at my various bamboo plots and I have
discovered that in addition to phyllostachis aureosulcata I have
also some (not much) phyllostachis vivax (walls are much thicker,
some yellow stripes on the culms and no grooves).

I do not know how this came about, whoever gave me my original
specimens must have included the two varieties.

My vivax and aureosulcata are doing reasonnable OK considering the
area (Putnam County, NY), my largest culms are about 32 mm in
diameter now (one and a quarter inch) and increasing a little each year.

There is a high mortality among the young shoots in the spring (about
1/3 abort)

I think that 2 inches in diameter is the most that I can expect and maybe
30-35 ft high considering the area.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning,rec.gardens.bamboo

Default (Becoming OT) Has anyone turned bamboo?

"JimR" wrote

snip snip snip

Giant timber bamboo is Bambusa oldhamii and is a semi-tropical variety. I
cut some today to thin out the clump and the ones I cut were about 40'
tall. The grove is 8 years old. Side note - I cut the first ones on
Saturday and noticed some new shoots coming out of the ground. I finished
the work today, and the new shoots are already about 4' tall and about 6"
in diameter.

What is the internode distance of your bamboo and the wall thickness of
the culm at mid height?

What do you do with the culms that you have cut?

Now that many of my culms have reached a "decent" diameter (1.25 inch do
not laugh!) I plan to use some of them for a kind of simple decorative mini-
fence which I have seen described in a book about japanese gardens and
similar things.

It has proved to be a great source of shade, keeping that part of the
house much cooler. It's also thick enought to be protective bird habitat
and I've got cardinals, jays, etc. that stay there. It also is,
unfortunately, a great source of leaf litter . . .

I have noticed that birds like to take refuge in my little groves but they
do not nest there... I have also noticed the leaf litter (!) but I rake it
and use it as mulch.

I believe in your area you can probably grow Phyllostachis nigra, black
bamboo, which is a beautiful plant, but needs to be controlled. I've got
several extra root-culm sections to dig up if anyone within reach of
central Florida is interested -- if no takers I'll plant them in a couple
of large pots at our front door, where the golden goddess bamboo has
outgrown the pots.

Thank you for your suggestion,

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning,rec.gardens.bamboo

"Pierre Lanuéjols" wrote in message
. ..

[...]

Mostly I've just cut to keep the grove under control, trimmed off the side
growth, and stored the lengths temporarily until I have time to do something
with them. I've got plans to put a bamboo fence around the well area,
perhaps use some of the material to make a low fence along the driveway, and
perhaps figure out some way to make a hammock stand. I've also thought
about making salt / pepper holders, decorating the mailbox post at street
side, wind chimes, and bird feeders. That's after we finish the current
spring housecleaning and clean-up, which we schedule for once a year. (The
current work is the one scheduled for the spring of 2004. . .)

Of course I also plan on winning the lottery, and with my track record of
to-do items I'll probably get started on the bamboo work at about the same
time the lottery comes in --

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning,rec.gardens.bamboo

"downhill" wrote in message

"downhill"

[...]

For small items, you can kill any pests by putting them in the freezer for a
couple of days. On my list of projects are chopstick rests and perhaps corn
holders, as well as the things I listed in a separate posting. I don't know
what I"ll use for a finish - depending on the color I want, it might be
lacquer, or if a natural finish, walnut oil.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning,rec.gardens.bamboo

"JimR" wrote in message
m...

[snip]

I just came across an interesting web page, http://www.bambus.de/1000; click
on the "1000 things" link at the top to page through a series of photos of
items made of bamboo -- everything from a bicycle to a set of drums!

bamboo next to oak floor? [email protected] Home Repair 14 February 19th 21 10:43 PM
Bamboo trvlnmny Woodworking 4 April 11th 08 07:28 PM
Photos of bowl turned from bamboo strips Ken Vaughn Woodturning 0 August 18th 07 11:21 PM
Bamboo Flooring Mark Spice UK diy 5 January 31st 06 10:13 AM
Bamboo Flooring [email protected] Woodworking 7 June 23rd 05 12:54 PM