Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default recycling

So I'm sitting at my desk at work and a bowl I use to hold various
office supplies (paper clips) is knocked to the floor. No big deal
but at the same time the lid to a cottage cheese (large curd) is also
knocked off. No, my office space is not a mess but items do
accumulate over time. I picked up the bowl and the lid and then the
idea came - Why not make the bowls to fit the lids? I looked at the
inside of the lid and there is a small lip the could very easily make
its way onto the rim of a properly turned bowl.
Now the above is no great shakes in the greater scheme of things but
at least it's not an ad for cheap shoes, purses, or shirts.
as ever
-Kevin
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

In article
,
Kevin wrote:

but
at least it's not an ad for cheap shoes, purses, or shirts.

Which you would see a lot less of if you read news somewhere other than
on google groups. At present, the most off topic crap that makes it onto
my news server's rendition of this group is people complaining about ads
- not the ads themselves. I have not yet personally taken the next most
effective method of avoiding them, or I wouldn't see your post - junking
all posts originating from google groups, which is the font of 99% of
usenet spam. I do run global filters to kill posts with the usual brand
names, but they rarely have much to do in this particular group.

Get a real newsreader and a real news service provider (both can be had
for free or non a donation-ware basis) and you can get rid of most of
the junk.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Please feel free to filter me out. I can assure you most
wholeheartedly that it will not bother me a whit!

The last bit about the ads was a toss off. They don't bother me as I
skip right over them.
Others such as yourself are much more sensitive.

And as to being off topic, I see you made no comment as to first
paragraph of my original post but
then pot and kettle.

as ever
-Kevin

On Jun 2, 11:03*am, Ecnerwal
wrote:
In article
,

*Kevin wrote:
but
at least it's not an ad for cheap shoes, purses, or shirts.

Which you would see a lot less of if you read news somewhere other than
on google groups. At present, the most off topic crap that makes it onto
my news server's rendition of this group is people complaining about ads
- not the ads themselves. I have not yet personally taken the next most
effective method of avoiding them, or I wouldn't see your post - junking
all posts originating from google groups, which is the font of 99% of
usenet spam. I do run global filters to kill posts with the usual brand
names, but they rarely have much to do in this particular group.

Get a real newsreader and a real news service provider (both can be had
for free or non a donation-ware basis) and you can get rid of most of
the junk.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

this is a good learning experience, but after making one, I think you will
be disappointed in the aesthetics of the end result. today we don't
(generally) use wood bowls for holding things where a lid is appropriate, so
there is no real functional reason to do it, only one of beauty - and of the
practice of making something fit accurately

"Kevin" wrote in message
So I'm sitting at my desk at work and a bowl I use to hold various
office supplies (paper clips) is knocked to the floor. No big deal
but at the same time the lid to a cottage cheese (large curd) is also
knocked off. No, my office space is not a mess but items do
accumulate over time. I picked up the bowl and the lid and then the
idea came - Why not make the bowls to fit the lids? I looked at the
inside of the lid and there is a small lip the could very easily make
its way onto the rim of a properly turned bowl.
Now the above is no great shakes in the greater scheme of things but
at least it's not an ad for cheap shoes, purses, or shirts.
as ever
-Kevin

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

I build my segmented bowls around cheep clear plastic Dollar store bowls
That way the liners can be wished. And I use Mc D cups in my vases for
flowers.
Jerry

http://community.webtv.net/awoodbutc...oodWorkingPage

http://community.webtv.net/awoodbutcher/1974RuppCentair

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Isn't that called a box , in turning lingo ?
Bowl with lid.
Jerry

http://community.webtv.net/awoodbutc...oodWorkingPage

http://community.webtv.net/awoodbutcher/1974RuppCentair

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"Jerry - OHIO" wrote: (clip) That way the liners
can be wished. (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
If wishing could make it so.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Spell check (washed)
I have floaters in my eyes today,.
Jerry

http://community.webtv.net/awoodbutc...oodWorkingPage

http://community.webtv.net/awoodbutcher/1974RuppCentair

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Thanks Leo for catching that.
i don't want people thinking that I 'm stupid.
Jerry
I was born that way and won't change.

http://community.webtv.net/awoodbutc...oodWorkingPage

http://community.webtv.net/awoodbutcher/1974RuppCentair

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Hey Kevin,

RCW rules don't permit any more Cottage Cheese ads for two weeks
especially large curd! (except by spammers). I'm kidding! Maybe you
were thinking _outside the box in the greater scheme of things. Anyway,
before the advent of turned art, I remember that we turned fancy wooden
covers for jar lids to be glued into and we felt no need to apologize.
Attractive jelly jars etc. made nice kitchen containers and the larger
ones made cannister sets without all the hollowing plus we didn't have
to make threads since some of us didn't know how. That was in the days
before Fred's helpful
instructional book, "Chasing screw threads in wood".

So why not a lidded bowl? Go for it. Sure as sensible as unlidded bowls
full of holes and much more sensible than some of my failed
suggestions, but turning doesn't have to be sensible. Anyone remember
my abortive effort to make a cheap & dirty vacuum chucking system from a
vacuum cup made for lifting glass panes & mirrors? Mercifully, you
don't, but I've got the scars to prove it.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Bill you are indeed correct about generally not using wooden bowls
where a lid may be required.
It was a thought that came to me. Much like the one that showed up
while on the pot and thinking
I could use an old electric toothbrush as an engraver.
OTOH, I munch on mixed nuts while watching tv at night an occasionally
grab more than I can finish.
Plopping the lid on them keeps them fresh for a time. And for me at
least, it would be good practice
on getting the lid to fit just right.

"Kevin" wrote in message

So I'm sitting at my desk at work and a bowl I use to hold various
office supplies (paper clips) is knocked to the floor. *No big deal
but at the same time the lid to a cottage cheese (large curd) is also
knocked off. *No, my office space is not a mess but items do
accumulate over time. *I picked up the bowl and the lid and then the
idea came - Why not make the bowls to fit the lids? *I looked at the
inside of the lid and there is a small lip the could very easily make
its way onto the rim of a properly turned bowl.
Now the above is no great shakes in the greater scheme of things but
at least it's not an ad for cheap shoes, purses, or shirts.
as ever
-Kevin

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Jerry - OHIO wrote:
I build my segmented bowls around cheep clear plastic Dollar store bowls
That way the liners can be wished. And I use Mc D cups in my vases for
flowers.
Jerry

http://community.webtv.net/awoodbutc...oodWorkingPage

http://community.webtv.net/awoodbutcher/1974RuppCentair

OT but did you make the John Deere bike?
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default recycling ( OT )

I don't own that one but am building one. I have a frame and I am using
a 2.4 PT Cruiser motor & auto from a car I wrecked last year. I do own
the red Rupp Centair.It has a 1968 VW 1500 cc in it , original was a 339
cc Way more fun and faster !!!!
Jerry

http://community.webtv.net/awoodbutc...oodWorkingPage

http://community.webtv.net/awoodbutcher/1974RuppCentair

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Jerry - OHIO wrote:
I don't own that one but am building one. I have a frame and I am using
a 2.4 PT Cruiser motor & auto from a car I wrecked last year. I do own
the red Rupp Centair.It has a 1968 VW 1500 cc in it , original was a 339
cc Way more fun and faster !!!!
Jerry

http://community.webtv.net/awoodbutc...oodWorkingPage

http://community.webtv.net/awoodbutcher/1974RuppCentair

Are those two different Rupp's?
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Just one,I added the black interior & changed some things on it. The pic
with my granddaughter is how it is now. when I finish the mower I'll put
up pic's. I am having some wiring issues with the 2.4 injectors.

Jerry

http://community.webtv.net/awoodbutc...oodWorkingPage

http://community.webtv.net/awoodbutcher/1974RuppCentair

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

I. And I use Mc D cups in my vases for
flowers.

Are they bigger than Mc C cups?
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"Steve" wrote in message
g.com...
And I use Mc D cups in my vases for
flowers.

Problem with that is you have to go in to one of those grease pits.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Yes - the Gee Mc Gee cups are even larger.

Martin H. Eastburn

On 8/8/2010 1:45 AM, Dan Kozar wrote:
I. And I use Mc D cups in my vases for
flowers.

Are they bigger than Mc C cups?

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

I use the covers from store bought cakes for my chip bowls,around ten
inch.in dia.
Check my web page.
Jerry

http://community.webtv.net/awoodbutc...oodWorkingPage

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On 2010-08-08 20:54:59 -0400, "CW" said:

Problem with that is you have to go in to one of those grease pits.

Jerry put up the original post. I merely responded that the plastic
inserts were a pretty good idea.

And no -- it does not mean that you have to go to one of "those grease
pits." There is more than one source for plastic containers. Perhaps,
if you devoted less energy to snark, you might be able to come up with
a source on your own!

Have a nice day.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

g.com...
On 2010-08-08 20:54:59 -0400, "CW" said:

Problem with that is you have to go in to one of those grease pits.

Jerry put up the original post. I merely responded that the plastic
inserts were a pretty good idea.

And no -- it does not mean that you have to go to one of "those grease
pits." There is more than one source for plastic containers. Perhaps, if
you devoted less energy to snark, you might be able to come up with a
source on your own!

Have a nice day.

Do the letters FO mean anything to you?

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

I didn't say that. I said I use cake covers.
Just about the same thing.
Jerry

http://community.webtv.net/awoodbutc...oodWorkingPage

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Oh !! I forgot I posted that !!!
Jerry

http://community.webtv.net/awoodbutc...oodWorkingPage

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default recycling@@Steve

Thanks for the praise
I read the posts wrong. I thought you were telling me to 'FO'
Jerry

http://community.webtv.net/awoodbutc...oodWorkingPage

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On 2010-08-09 22:14:50 -0400, "CW" said:

Do the letters FO mean anything to you?

Oh, about the same as "Have a nice day."

Recycling Gone Too Far The Daring Dufas[_6_] Home Repair 1 April 11th 10 10:34 PM
Recycling Gone Mad ARWadsworth UK diy 18 February 14th 10 08:42 PM
Recycling a DC? Wade Lippman Woodworking 18 August 4th 07 04:47 PM
Recycling NJS UK diy 0 July 29th 07 08:09 PM