Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Sorley Chisels

Has anyone ever heard of these, they have a kangaroo branded on the
handles. Are they any good? I can get a full set of 8 for $50 but don't
want to waste money if they are garbage.

Thanks,
Sam
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

In article ,
Sam Unruh wrote:

Has anyone ever heard of these, they have a kangaroo branded on the
handles. Are they any good? I can get a full set of 8 for $50 but don't
want to waste money if they are garbage.

Thanks,
Sam

Never heard of them, but my first guess is the kanagaroo is to mislead
you into thinking they come from Australia rather than China, and the
name is intended to be confused with Sorby.

le looks like b in a hurry.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Ecnerwal wrote:
In article ,
Sam Unruh wrote:

Has anyone ever heard of these, they have a kangaroo branded on the
handles. Are they any good? I can get a full set of 8 for $50 but don't
want to waste money if they are garbage.

Thanks,
Sam

Never heard of them, but my first guess is the kanagaroo is to mislead
you into thinking they come from Australia rather than China, and the
name is intended to be confused with Sorby.

le looks like b in a hurry.

Thanks,

That is kind of what I was thinking. The strange thing is that I believe
these were purchased prior to the cheap Chinese imports becoming so
common. I am going by the sellers description, at first I was hoping he
didn't know what he really had but he was quite firm on them being Sorley.

I'll see whether anyone else weighs in on this before finalizing my
decision.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Duncan Hoyle wrote:
Sam Unruh said the following on 23/04/2010 05:20:
I guess this is a lucky day for me. They are actually Sorby so the price
is pretty good.

Ecnerwal wrote:
In article ,
Sam Unruh wrote:

Has anyone ever heard of these, they have a kangaroo branded on the
handles. Are they any good? I can get a full set of 8 for $50 but
don't want to waste money if they are garbage.

Thanks,
Sam

Never heard of them, but my first guess is the kanagaroo is to mislead
you into thinking they come from Australia rather than China, and the
name is intended to be confused with Sorby.
le looks like b in a hurry.

I suggest checking how old the tools are. I don't think the 2 Sorby
Kangaroo chisels which I have are HSS.

Duncan

Thankyou. I will do that.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Hi Sam,

I have some older Sorby turning tools and find the scrapers and 1 1/2 in
spindle roughing gouge especially useful. The other gouges are not bad
either. You have to sharpen more often, but you should anyway. Sorby's
pre-hss "Sheffield steel" was pretty good stuff. I don't consider them
garbage and at $6.25 each, I would buy the set if you don't.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

G. I. Mix & CO chisels Ben Woodworking 1 May 7th 07 02:58 PM
Old Chisels SteveB Woodworking 0 September 16th 05 05:23 PM
chisels gregj Woodworking 66 August 9th 05 08:18 PM
Looking for better chisels... David F. Eisan Woodworking 20 November 23rd 04 05:19 PM
Chisels srazor Woodworking 0 September 2nd 04 08:58 AM