Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
TWW TWW is offline

Default Inlace use

Since this group is again slow, I thought I would send out a question
that is not really a woodturning question but does ask about a product
you can use when turning. I got a black Inlace kit a while back to
use with some big cherry bowls. While never getting to use the product
with the cherry bowls another possible use came up. We have granite
counter tops in our kitchen and there is a fissure in one that grew in
size when I mistakenly put a lefse iron on top of the granite last
winter for a couple of hours without any wood beneath the lefse iron.
(these lefse irons are like big electric frying pans on 3": legs but
no sides on the round fry pan in case you have never seen one). The
countertop is black and the Inlace is black so there is a pretty good
match in color. Anyone have any experience or thoughts on filling a
stone crack with Inlace? Thanks.
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Apr 10, 8:01*am, TWW wrote:
Since this group is again slow, I thought I would send out a question
that is not really a woodturning question but does ask about a product
you can use when turning. *I got a black Inlace kit a while back to
use with some big cherry bowls. While never getting to use the product
with the cherry bowls another possible use came up. * We have granite
counter tops in our kitchen and there is a fissure in one that grew in
size when I mistakenly put a lefse iron on top of the granite last
winter for a couple of hours without any wood beneath the lefse iron.
(these lefse irons are like big electric frying pans on 3": legs but
no sides on the round fry pan in case you have never seen one). The
countertop is black and the Inlace is black so there is a pretty good
match in color. *Anyone have any experience or thoughts on filling a
stone crack with Inlace? Thanks.

We always used a silicone based caulk on all of our lab tops on the
joints.
This allowed contraction and expansion due to heat changes in the
room.

If the crack you are filling runs the complete width/length of the
slab, then
I would use a flexible caulk. If the crack is only partially through
a panel,
then a epoxy type filler might work. In this case you might want to
consider
drilling a hole in the end of the crack to stop its' progress.
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"TWW" wrote (clip) thoughts on filling a
stone crack with Inlace? (clip)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Go for it--there is probably nothing better you could try. But expect to
have some difficulty getting the filler exactly level with the stone, and
polished to the same degree, without creating any scratches on either side.
I would level the fill while it is hardening, using a rubber screed, and
then polish after it is fully hardened, using a buffing wheel. DON'T SAND.
But I'm sure you already knew that.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"TWW" wrote in message
Since this group is again slow, I thought I would send out a question
that is not really a woodturning question but does ask about a product
you can use when turning. I got a black Inlace kit a while back to
use with some big cherry bowls. While never getting to use the product
with the cherry bowls another possible use came up. We have granite
counter tops in our kitchen and there is a fissure in one that grew in
size when I mistakenly put a lefse iron on top of the granite last
winter for a couple of hours without any wood beneath the lefse iron.
(these lefse irons are like big electric frying pans on 3": legs but
no sides on the round fry pan in case you have never seen one). The
countertop is black and the Inlace is black so there is a pretty good
match in color. Anyone have any experience or thoughts on filling a
stone crack with Inlace? Thanks.

Go to rec woodworking and ask robatoy. He does countertops for a living.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

as an alternative, if it were me (and it isn't), I would leave it proud of
the top and use a file (like a mill ******* file) to bring it level - the
file will slide over the granite and dig into and cut the stuff that is
proud. When the file slides smoothly over the crack, polish it up with
automotive polish - or toothpaste