DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   tear out when turning (https://www.diybanter.com/woodturning/299350-re-tear-out-when-turning.html)

Dan Jefferson March 7th 10 06:04 PM

tear out when turning

I want to thank all those that responded to subj.

All ideas had some positive effects on my turning. Now I need to practice, practice, and more practice!

Dan J

mac davis[_5_] March 8th 10 06:07 AM

tear out when turning

On Sun, 7 Mar 2010 13:04:31 -0500, "Dan Jefferson" wrote:

I want to thank all those that responded to subj.

All ideas had some positive effects on my turning. Now I need to practice, practice, and more practice!

Dan J

Dan.. practice is a GOOD thing, but get one-on-one help through a club or
video..
I'm proof that you can practice the wrong methods for years if you don't learn
them correctly and then practice them..
I really wish I would have taken a turning class 30 years ago..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Max63 March 8th 10 12:49 PM

tear out when turning

Dan,
First two tips are sharp tools (not recently sharpened but just
sharpened) and correct technique (bevel and so forth
If this fails on small areas, dont be bashful about 60 grit paper
treatment
If it fails on laqrger areas or on pith centers, use a wax and spirits
paste on area to change fiber behavior.
.....and practice
good luck
Norm