Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Need help identifying antique mini-lathe

Afternoon all ..

I recently acquired a small antique (?) lathe that I am unable to
identify and was hoping to get some expert input here.

I was told it was from the 30's or 40's but I lean towards 50's. It
has no markings other than a feather (?) type design on either end of
the bed and two numbers, one inside the head and the other in the
tail. It has no motor or belt and has had a couple of parts replaced.
It appears to be functional after some serious elbow work to free the
banjo bolt from underneath the tail stock.

I am not certain if it's worth restoring, if parts are available or
can be fabricated. The head appears to be reversible? A flat round on
one end with four holes and a solid pin end on the other side.

The person who gave it to me was told it was a craftsman but there are
no markings to confirm that and everyone who has looked at it believes
it not to be craftsman. Since the head and tail seem to have solid
un-removable pins, it will limit the type of turnings it can do.

If I can figure out what it is and what I can do with it, I may
restore it and keep it as a traveling lathe. Any information, input or
suggestions are appreciated.

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/i...athe-front.jpg
http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/i...lathe-rear.jpg

Thanks!
`Casper
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Feb 26, 11:57*am, Casper wrote:
[...]

this looks like the lathe on old woodworking machines. check out this
link: http://owwm.com/photoindex/detail.aspx?ID=5935
paul gilbert
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

this looks like the lathe on old woodworking machines. check out this
link: http://owwm.com/photoindex/detail.aspx?ID=5935
paul gilbert

Paul,

Thanks for the link. It looks very close to my lathe, however mine is
only 21" in length and seems to have a different head unit. I
certainly like the idea of the flat end possibly being used as a
sanding disc but do not see any holes or other methods the slant bed
would atttach. I'm wondering if mine is a smaller, slightly earlier
version. I'm also wondering now if I even have the correct head parts.

`Casper

Step up from mini-lathe/mini-mill Usenet Metalworking 14 April 20th 06 06:31 AM
Mini Metal lathe vs mini wood lathes - for pen turning Makin Sawdust in So. FLA. Woodturning 1 November 24th 05 05:25 AM
antique lathe burlat3 Woodturning 4 November 17th 05 03:20 AM
Identifying a lathe Proctologically Violated©® Metalworking 5 March 31st 05 04:54 AM