Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Musing about tool handles

IMHO most of us retain the handle that came with the tool or substitute
a cold hard pricy aluminum weapon for it because of pride in owning a
touted brand name commercial product with its logo prominently stamped
on the shiney (slippery) handle that bears little relationship to the
anatomy of the human hand. (I have pride of long sentences)

Most of us probably agree with Reed that a plain and simple robust
tubular wooden handle is best, but pride goeth before another "Stupid
mistake" so we show off our store bought handled tools while mostly
using our beloved and much preferred home made atrocity.

I reckon a lot of us actually bask in reverse 'pride of handle' with the
dirtiest, longest, most scarred, paint stained, glue encrusted,
unferruled mess being our favorite.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

twoshay'! Stuart,

My spelling ain't so good either.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Sat, 13 Feb 2010 15:22:13 -0600, Arch wrote
(in message ):

IMHO most of us retain the handle that came with the tool or substitute
a cold hard pricy aluminum weapon for it because of pride in owning a
touted brand name commercial product with its logo prominently stamped
on the shiney (slippery) handle that bears little relationship to the
anatomy of the human hand. (I have pride of long sentences)

I'm a bit tightfisted with a quarter, and am utterly unimpressed with logos
and fashion. I like a tool handle if it handles well and does what it should
do. If I'm not happy with a handle I'll modify it or make a new one, using
whatever is convenient and will handle the job at hand. I will use whatever
skills I have on this handle, so if I looks sorta nice, well that is part of
staying in practice, but my goal is suitability, first.

Most of us probably agree with Reed that a plain and simple robust
tubular wooden handle is best, but pride goeth before another "Stupid
mistake" so we show off our store bought handled tools while mostly
using our beloved and much preferred home made atrocity.

I reckon a lot of us actually bask in reverse 'pride of handle' with the
dirtiest, longest, most scarred, paint stained, glue encrusted,
unferruled mess being our favorite.

This is the favorite and most beat-up handle because it has most of what is
personally wanted in a handle. I like to think that I have a good handle on
making a well-handled handle that handles the job of handling a tool.
tom koehler

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

I will find a way or make one.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

This is the favorite and most beat-up handle because it has most of what

is
personally wanted in a handle. I like to think that I have a good handle

on
making a well-handled handle that handles the job of handling a tool.
tom koehler

You handled that nicely.

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Sun, 14 Feb 2010 13:35:12 -0600, tom koehler
wrote:

Tom, one of my most comfortable and most used tools is a *******ized Oland
tool..
Big ugly 3/4" bolt about a foot long with a hole for the bit in the threaded
end, some threads ground to a taper, and the head wrapped in duck tape to the
level of the hex..
Been using it for years and love it..

[...]

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Feb 13, 3:22*pm, (Arch) wrote:
[...]

Arch you COC how the heck are you? I'm not a fan of the fancy schmancy
tool handle myself. I have made my own tools and handle for going on
30 years now. Every time I take on a new apprentice I like to make
there jaws drop to the floor by showing them how I turn a 20" D bowl
from a rough log in under 10 minutes using nothing more than an old
soup spoon and a bent coat hanger. A real craftsman has no need for
the Glaser or the Housawhatsit type stuff. All style and no substance
I always said. Keep on posting ol buddy and if you ever make it up
Batswanna way please stop in. I've got coffee on the hot plate and a
trunk full of stories to tell.

God Bless,
Al Kyder

Tool handles SteveB Home Repair 29 September 24th 07 11:09 PM
A long musing about wooden tool handles. Arch Woodturning 5 April 2nd 07 02:27 PM
Musing about shop made handles for store bought turning tools Arch Woodturning 8 July 14th 06 08:07 PM
Musing about Shillalahs and Tool Handles Arch Woodturning 0 March 22nd 06 09:19 PM
Musing about Shillalahs and Tool Handles Arch Woodturning 15 March 21st 06 03:24 PM