Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Vacuum

I am thinking hard on buying a vacuum unit for my lathe. I have looked
at the holdfast system which produces 19hg. A used pump I have seen
produces 22 hg. Is the difference a big one or is the 19 inches
enough. If anyone has the holdfast system I would like to know how it
is working out and up to what size/weight bowls can it handle.
Thanks for any input. Murray
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"Moray" wrote: (clip) the holdfast system which produces 19hg. A used pump
I have seen
produces 22 hg. Is the difference a big one or is the 19 inches
enough.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
The difference between 19 and 22 inches will hardly be noticed.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
(clip) up to what size/weight bowls can it handle.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Turn the question around--*DOWN* to what size will it handle. The risk of
knocking a piece off the chuck is greater for small bowls. I can't think of
any way to predict exactly when you will lose your grip, but for a given
article, 19" will hold 86% as well. Or, putting it another way, the
Holdfast system will have the same strength as the 21" setup at 93% of the
diameter. (because the area goes as the square of the diameter.)

What you need to compare for the two pumps is their relative pumping volume.
A pump that handles larger volume will deal with leakage better--you won't
have to worry as much about the seal, or the possible porosity in the wood.
Again, it is difficult to put numbers on it, but it is good to have a
capacity of 3 cfm or so to work worry free.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Sat, 9 Jan 2010 14:15:50 -0800 (PST), Moray wrote:

I am thinking hard on buying a vacuum unit for my lathe. I have looked
at the holdfast system which produces 19hg. A used pump I have seen
produces 22 hg. Is the difference a big one or is the 19 inches
enough. If anyone has the holdfast system I would like to know how it
is working out and up to what size/weight bowls can it handle.
Thanks for any input. Murray

The holdfast never made sense to me.. why stick a tube through a perfectly good
hollow spindle?

Talk to Bill Noble about used pumps and how to build your own system, or have
him build some of the parts, like the rotary valve..
http://www.wbnoble.com/

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

The holdfast never made sense to me.. why stick a tube through a perfectly good
hollow spindle?

Talk to Bill Noble about used pumps and how to build your own system, or have
him build some of the parts, like the rotary valve..http://www.wbnoble.com/

mac

I concur. Bill Noble helped me a lot when I was building my system.
I ended up with a rotary vane pump that I picked up off of Craig's
list and a bunch of face plates from Bill upon which I mounted various
sizes of PVC pipe for my chucks. I use adhesive backed foam from the
craft store for gaskets.

I never could see why one would want to run a big air compressor to do
the job of a 1/2 HP vacuum pump that will pull more cfm than a
venturi. That cfm is important when you are dealing with a bowl that
has warped.
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Sat, 09 Jan 2010 14:15:50 -0800, Moray wrote:

I am thinking hard on buying a vacuum unit for my lathe. I have looked
at the holdfast system which produces 19hg. A used pump I have seen
produces 22 hg. Is the difference a big one or is the 19 inches enough.
If anyone has the holdfast system I would like to know how it is working
out and up to what size/weight bowls can it handle. Thanks for any
input. Murray

Being married to a "down-easter, Scot" for almost 46 years it wears off
on one ;-) .

What I did, and it works great, was to buy/obtain the following:

1. used 230v Gast pump from the Surplus Center
https://www.surpluscenter.com/home.asp

2. 24" solid 3/8 brake line from my local auto parts store

3. four foot of 3/8 rubber gas line from the same auto parts store

4. a sealed bearing with a 3/8" center diameter.

5. a vacuum filter from Harbor Freight

6. a 6" face plate from Harbor Freight

7. a 24" wide sheet of heavy cork from Hobby Lobby

8. a disk of 3/4" plywood (cut to fit the swing of the lathe)

I use the a switch on the wall to control the pump.

I cut the solid brake line about 3" longer than the length of the
headstock and epoxy the flared end of the solid brake line to the 3/4"
plywood, after drilling a hole (with a recess to handle the flare) in
the center of the disk and mounting the disk to the face plate.

Contact cement the cork to the plywood disk and clean out the center to
allow air passage down the tube. I used hot glue to seal the edges of
the cork so I would not get cork being drawn into the pump.

Turn a cylinder 3/8" larger than your bearing and drill out a recess in
it to accept the bearing. Then drill a hole through the center of the
block to align with the center of the bearing. Epoxy a short pieces of
the brake tube in the block and center of the bearing. Epoxy the outer
race of the bearing into the block. (this gives you your slip bearing to
isolate the rotation of the lathe )

Mount the filter on the wall and connect the output side of the bearing
block to one side and the other to the input of the pump.

Bingo, for just over $100.00 you are up and running with a system that
has plenty of vacuum for any size bowl.

Deb

Vacuum set up Dick Mahany Woodturning 5 October 23rd 07 06:07 PM
Vacuum Roddy Meatstick.............. Electronics 5 January 1st 07 01:53 AM
Wet Dry Vacuum Ben Woodworking 3 March 29th 06 09:18 PM
WET/DRY VACUUM Vince Home Repair 7 September 11th 05 06:05 PM