Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Tormek jigs on a Bench Grinder

I have a Tormek, and I found that re-shaping a HSS gouge is a PITA.
Tormek recently announced a package (BGM-100) that lets you use your
Tormek jigs on a bench grinder. It's just an additional jig bar and
holder.

Here's the tip - if you buy one before January 15, you can get a free
additional horizontal base, so you can use the jig bar on both wheels.

It just arrived, but it looks like I can easily have both my Wolverine
and the Tormek on the same grinder.
Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.woodturning

On Jan 6, 4:24 am, Maxwell Lol wrote:
I have a Tormek, and I found that re-shaping a HSS gouge is a PITA.
Tormek recently announced a package (BGM-100) that lets you use your
Tormek jigs on a bench grinder. It's just an additional jig bar and
holder.

Here's the tip - if you buy one before January 15, you can get a free
additional horizontal base, so you can use the jig bar on both wheels.

It just arrived, but it looks like I can easily have both my Wolverine
and the Tormek on the same grinder.

I've been using a rig on my dry grinder to allow the use of the Tormek
jigs on the dry grinder for over a year now. Last year at the AAW
symposium I picked up a BGM 100 and was able to then set it up to use
the jigs on both of my grinding wheels. There is very little grinding
needed when one moves to the Tormek after shaping on the dry grinder.
Inicdentally, I have diamond wheels on my dry grinder from Andre
Martel in Canada. The 360 grit comes pretty close to producing the
sharpness one can obtain on the Tormek.

Fred Holder
http://www.morewoodturning.net
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Fred Holder wrote:
Inicdentally, I have diamond wheels on my dry grinder from Andre
Martel in Canada. The 360 grit comes pretty close to producing the
sharpness one can obtain on the Tormek.

What speed's the grinder? Will those work on a 3500 rpm or should they
just be used on a 1750?

--
Kevin Miller
Juneau, Alaska
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Jan 6, 1:32 pm, Kevin Miller wrote:
Fred Holder wrote:
Inicdentally, I have diamond wheels on my dry grinder from Andre
Martel in Canada. The 360 grit comes pretty close to producing the
sharpness one can obtain on the Tormek.

What speed's the grinder? Will those work on a 3500 rpm or should they
just be used on a 1750?

--
Kevin Miller
Juneau, Alaskahttp://www.alaska.net/~atftb
In a recent poll, seven out of ten hard drives preferred Linux.

Hello Kevin,

They are solid steel frames and should work at higher speeds. A friend
of mine, Jack Wayne, uses them on his high speed grinder and claims
that they work better there than on the slow speed grinder. I think he
was using only a 180 grit wheel on his high speed grinder and was
getting beautifully polished bevels.

Fred Holder
http://www.morewoodturning.net
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Fred Holder wrote:
Hello Kevin,

They are solid steel frames and should work at higher speeds. A friend
of mine, Jack Wayne, uses them on his high speed grinder and claims
that they work better there than on the slow speed grinder. I think he
was using only a 180 grit wheel on his high speed grinder and was
getting beautifully polished bevels.

Great. I'm running a 120 grit white wheel right now but may have to
look into the diamond wheel. How does one dress them, or do they ever
need dressing? I find adding a bit of water to my diamond hones helps a
lot as they clog pretty easily otherwise.

--
Kevin Miller
Juneau, Alaska
http://www.alaska.net/~atftb
In a recent poll, seven out of ten hard drives preferred Linux.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Jan 7, 10:31 am, Kevin Miller wrote:
Fred Holder wrote:
Hello Kevin,

They are solid steel frames and should work at higher speeds. A friend
of mine, Jack Wayne, uses them on his high speed grinder and claims
that they work better there than on the slow speed grinder. I think he
was using only a 180 grit wheel on his high speed grinder and was
getting beautifully polished bevels.

Great. I'm running a 120 grit white wheel right now but may have to
look into the diamond wheel. How does one dress them, or do they ever
need dressing? I find adding a bit of water to my diamond hones helps a
lot as they clog pretty easily otherwise.

--
Kevin Miller
Juneau, Alaskahttp://www.alaska.net/~atftb
In a recent poll, seven out of ten hard drives preferred Linux.

Hello Again Kevin,

That is one of the beauties of these diamond wheels. They remain flat,
they are 1-1/2" wide, and you don't have to dress them. I did have to
remove the side covers on my grinder, but they aren't needed since
these wheels are not likely to explode.

Fred Holder
http://www.morewoodturning.net
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Fred Holder wrote:
Hello Again Kevin,

That is one of the beauties of these diamond wheels. They remain flat,
they are 1-1/2" wide, and you don't have to dress them. I did have to
remove the side covers on my grinder, but they aren't needed since
these wheels are not likely to explode.

Fred Holder
http://www.morewoodturning.net

So do they clog up with steel? Or does the centrifugal force keep the
'shavings' off? Ever need to just wipe them down w/a damp rag?

....Kevin
--
Kevin Miller
Juneau, Alaska
http://www.alaska.net/~atftb
In a recent poll, seven out of ten hard drives preferred Linux.
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Jan 7, 11:45 am, Kevin Miller wrote:
Fred Holder wrote:
Hello Again Kevin,

That is one of the beauties of these diamond wheels. They remain flat,
they are 1-1/2" wide, and you don't have to dress them. I did have to
remove the side covers on my grinder, but they aren't needed since
these wheels are not likely to explode.

Fred Holder
http://www.morewoodturning.net

So do they clog up with steel? Or does the centrifugal force keep the
'shavings' off? Ever need to just wipe them down w/a damp rag?

...Kevin
--
Kevin Miller
Juneau, Alaskahttp://www.alaska.net/~atftb
In a recent poll, seven out of ten hard drives preferred Linux.

Hello Again Kevin,

I haven't had to wipe them down with anything. You do get a build up
of metal dust below the grinder over time. As near as I can tell they
are pretty much maintenance free, but I don't turn every day so I
can't say how they would be for someone sharpening their tools several
times a day or every few minutes.

Fred Holder
http://www.morewoodturning.net
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Fred Holder wrote:
[...]

BEWARE - diamond will dissolve in steel - most metal workers use diamond for
carbide but use other wheels for steel - if you press hard against your
diamond wheel you will easily destroy it, or so I am told - I have never
done this - don't want to find out that it's true and then have to buy a new
$$$ wheel.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On 01/07/2010 08:02 PM, Bill Noble wrote:

BEWARE - diamond will dissolve in steel - most metal workers use diamond
for carbide but use other wheels for steel - if you press hard against
your diamond wheel you will easily destroy it, or so I am told - I have
never done this - don't want to find out that it's true and then have to
buy a new $$$ wheel.

So I guess I should wait a year and see if Fred's is still intact! g

--
Kevin Miller - http://www.alaska.net/~atftb
Juneau, Alaska