Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Filling cracks w/ CA

Occasionally while sanding a bowl I find a hairline crack. Filling it
with CA glue leaves a blotch around the crack where the glue soaked
into the surface. I have learned to avoid this by the following method.

Using an old candle I rub around the crack parallel to the crack. Then
I take a dental hook tool and clean any wax out of the crack, then
fill the crack with CA and spray on the hardener. The wax sands off,
leaving the filled crack.

--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

In case of fire, yell 'FIRE!'

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

I've done the same thing except i wipe a thin coat of whatever I'm
going to finish the bowl with over the crack. It prevents the blotch,
and doesn't have to be sanded away.

Old guy

On Jan 3, 12:28*pm, Gerald Ross wrote:
Occasionally while sanding a bowl I find a hairline crack. Filling it
with CA glue leaves a blotch around the crack where the glue soaked
into the surface. *I have learned to avoid this by the following method..

Using an old candle I rub around the crack parallel to the crack. Then
I take a dental hook tool and clean any wax out of the crack, then
fill the crack with CA and spray on the hardener. The wax sands off,
leaving the filled crack.

--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

In case of fire, yell 'FIRE!'

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Old Guy wrote:
I've done the same thing except i wipe a thin coat of whatever I'm
going to finish the bowl with over the crack. It prevents the blotch,
and doesn't have to be sanded away.

Old guy

How do you get the surface of the repair smooth and level?

On Jan 3, 12:28 pm, Gerald Ross wrote:
Occasionally while sanding a bowl I find a hairline crack. Filling it
with CA glue leaves a blotch around the crack where the glue soaked
into the surface. I have learned to avoid this by the following method.

Using an old candle I rub around the crack parallel to the crack. Then
I take a dental hook tool and clean any wax out of the crack, then
fill the crack with CA and spray on the hardener. The wax sands off,
leaving the filled crack.

--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

In just two days, tomorrow will be
yesterday.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

I try to build up the fill in the crack slightly proud of the wood,
then just put the piece back on the lathe and sand it as I normally
would. Most of the thin finish coat is sanded off, as well as the
rough parts of the CA, so the final finish goes on smoothly and
evenly.

Old Guy