DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   anyone want a small lathe for pen turning (https://www.diybanter.com/woodturning/294698-anyone-want-small-lathe-pen-turning.html)

Bill Noble[_2_] December 24th 09 07:49 PM

anyone want a small lathe for pen turning

I just cleaned up a 3 inch craftsman metal lathe - it's missing parts needed
for metal working (like the whole gear assembly) but it has a nice cross
slide and the worm gear is good so it would make a decent pen lathe if you
wanted uniform straight barrels - you will need to either find, make or jury
rig a quill for the tailstock, but other than that it's OK to use as is - I
can get around $150 to $200 if I take my time parting it out, but I'd rather
it find a home quickly - so if someone is interested, drop me a note via the
email address on my web page - I figure $75 is fair. Oh, the spindle thread
is 1/2-20, and it's a 0 morse taper, bronze bearings, so it's light duty -
never to be a bowl lathe - could also be useful for making any other round
parts that need to fit, and of course you can do metal working (but not
threading - you need the gears for that).

--
Bill -
www.wbnoble.com

Bill Noble[_2_] December 25th 09 06:40 AM

anyone want a small lathe for pen turning

see here http://www.lathes.co.uk/craftsman/page4.html for info on this
lathe - it shows it as a 1948 model - 109-2063 --- this one is missing the
gear box and all that goes with it.

I guess I should have called it a 6 inch lathe, right?

Martin H. Eastburn December 26th 09 01:48 AM

anyone want a small lathe for pen turning

1. Call it "Swing over bed" = 6"
2. Radius = 3"
3. Distance between Centers - how long a rod can be placed to be worked upon.
4. Length of bed (biggest gripe with me ) the length of physical ways (not
usable or machinable region) = under the bed to farthest end under
the tailstock.
Martin