Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Where is the best price for epoxy glue?

Juergen & Kevin gave the suggestion for Starbond cyanoacrylate; thanks,
I bought some, and I it appears to be of good quality. [ no affiliation
] But next time, I'll ask Starbond if they can ship it cheaper -- FedEx
is a tad pricey...

Now I'm soliciting suggestions for Epoxy Glue. I use it with various
items (coffee grounds, sawdust, brass swarf, and metal filings, etc.)
for filling knots and bug holes... I don't imagine I need something
with super shear strength or other fancy aspects; just something that
dries fairly clear, and buffs up nicely.

I need maybe anywhere from 8 to 32 ounces, and hopefully about 15
minute pot life. (I currently am running out of some 5 minute type, but
sometimes it cures too quickly.)

So who sells an appropriate quality at a decent price?

The stuff on ebay seems to go for about $2.00 an ounce for generic glue
from hobby shops (when you factor in shipping and handling)...

Thanks for any help,
-j
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

there are places around where I live with names like "hastings plastic",
plastic warehouse and such - these places carry a range of resins and of
plastics - a gallon of resin plus hardener will run you $25 to $60 - you can
get all sorts of hardnesses, and you can adjust the pot life by how much
catalyst you use.

"JoanD'arcRoast" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Now I'm soliciting suggestions for Epoxy Glue. I use it with various
items (coffee grounds, sawdust, brass swarf, and metal filings, etc.)
for filling knots and bug holes... I don't imagine I need something
with super shear strength or other fancy aspects; just something that
dries fairly clear, and buffs up nicely.

I need maybe anywhere from 8 to 32 ounces, and hopefully about 15
minute pot life. (I currently am running out of some 5 minute type, but
sometimes it cures too quickly.)

Shop where the boatbuilders shop. However, boatbuilders tend to shy away
from really quick, but you can get there easily enough by using the
"wrong" hardener for the season, or they do have some formulations
intended to be quick - or you can simply heat the components before
mixing for a faster cure.

Despite horrid webdesign and a lack of brand-name cachet, I've been
quite happy with stuff from progressive epoxy polymers.

If you yearn for conventional advertising System 3 and West System are
the ford and chevy, or lincoln and miller, of the epoxy religious views.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

I have had great luck with these products:

http://www.bsi-inc.com/

They make all grades of epoxies and CA glues, and sell many different
types of each. He even has a military application line - they use his
stuff on the drones!

I have used the epoxy products for years in my construction business
as they are easily obtained since sold at a local store called Hobby
Lobby and are branded on the bottle as such. However, when you read
the bottle, it says it is "Packaged by Bob Smith Industries".

I called them and they told me it wasn't a special formula, just a
rebranding. I found this to be a good alternative to West Products,
System 3 and their stable as it are about 30 - 40% less than their
retail price.

Robert

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

In article
,
Ecnerwal wrote:

[...]

Thanks to all for the suggestions; I ended up using U.S. Composites.
(No affiliation.)

-j
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

In message ,
JoanD'arcRoast writes
Juergen & Kevin gave the suggestion for Starbond cyanoacrylate; thanks,
I bought some, and I it appears to be of good quality. [ no affiliation
] But next time, I'll ask Starbond if they can ship it cheaper -- FedEx
is a tad pricey...

For anyone looking for cheap CA, look at the building trade or model
making. I picked up Thick and Thin slow cure at 1/5th the price of ZAP
in the UK. Only has 1 year shelf life ( unless frozen) but it doesn't
last that long, so not an issue.

--
John